Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The majority of the fanbase wanted him gone. The players literally stopped playing for him. There's no coming back from that, regardless of whether we gave him time. It was the right time for him to go.

The big mistake was replacing him with Jose Mourinho.

Erm, yes there is. The majority of Woolwich fans wanted Arteta out and then he's delivered a title challenge. Liverpool were just as bad as we were but stuck with Klopp, albeit he still had fan support but we kneejerked on Poch & paid the price with instability since.

He MINIMUM deserved a full season to turn it round after delivering a CL final & 4th. It was a terrible decision to sack him, and then even worse to replace him with Jose.

I have spent all morning (sad I know) going onto chat forums on articles about Poch joining Chavs by telling him just how brilliant a coach he is. What someone like him can do, not just to the team but the Club as a whole. That in their lifetime all they have known is chequebook managers buying up the best players on the planet and winning stuff as a result, normally playing a tragic form of anti-football, all making it a bit hollow, without having a true connection to the team, watching him take a poorly performing player and turning him into a superstar and by doing so taking them along this ride too.

Then dishing out cold cold harsh facts that they will never get to feel this because they will not give him the time. Telling them that they will be the reason why he will not be given the time. They don't understand that Potter and Poch are very similar, that they have the same holistic approach to squad building and that this takes time. The fact that he's ex-Tottenham, and not just ex-Tottenham but bleeds Tottenham will mean they will turn faster on him than they did with Potter.

What a morning.

:dembelelol:

Erm, yes there is. The majority of Woolwich fans wanted Arteta out and then he's delivered a title challenge. Liverpool were just as bad as we were but stuck with Klopp, albeit he still had fan support but we kneejerked on Poch & paid the price with instability since.

He MINIMUM deserved a full season to turn it round after delivering a CL final & 4th. It was a terrible decision to sack him, and then even worse to replace him with Jose.

At Spurs? No there isn't.

I can't be bothered to look at the numbers, but did Arteta and Klopp ever manage an average of 1 point per game over a 24 league game period in their entire tenure? Liverpool fans stuck with Klopp because of what he achieved there. League titles, domestic trophies, Champions League trophies as well as having to bed in new signings after losing two key components of those trophy wins from their starting eleven and a declining centre back that had been a rock for them.

Pochettino gave us great memories and our fans wanted him gone, regardless. If he managed to keep up that average points per game ratio at the rate we were heading, That season could have been even more of a disaster. He left us in 14th place. 11 points off the top four and just 6 points clear of relegation. With a squad of players that had downed tools, new signings that were disappointing or weren't getting started due to fitness issues and a style of football that was horrendous to watch.

The majority of the fanbase wanted him gone. The players literally stopped playing for him. There's no coming back from that, regardless of whether we gave him time. It was the right time for him to go.

The big mistake was replacing him with Jose Mourinho.
I suspect the majority were just frustrated with results like happens with every club, and wanted a quick fix. That went so well. Levy had mostly forced the situation with the 2-3 years of shoddy squad management.

Agreed. I wouldn't have let him go that season other than to avoid relegation or if he was desperate to leave/medical reasons. I remember being surprised at how quickly people turned against him when the magic stopped.

At Spurs? No there isn't.

I can't be bothered to look at the numbers, but did Arteta and Klopp ever manage an average of 1 point per game over a 24 league game period in their entire tenure? Liverpool fans stuck with Klopp because of what he achieved there. League titles, domestic trophies, Champions League trophies as well as having to bed in new signings after losing two key components of those trophy wins from their starting eleven and a declining centre back that had been a rock for them.

Pochettino gave us great memories and our fans wanted him gone, regardless. If he managed to keep up that average points per game ratio at the rate we were heading, That season could have been even more of a disaster. He left us in 14th place. 11 points off the top four and just 6 points clear of relegation. With a squad of players that had downed tools, new signings that were disappointing or weren't getting started due to fitness issues and a style of football that was horrendous to watch.

Woolwich at one point were literally in a relegation battle and sat 16th. If you think Woolwich fans, with AFTV and all that shite, are more patient & understanding than us meanie Spurs fans, you're having a giggle. It's up to the board to hold their nerve, obviously fan pressure will exist when a coach is doing badly but that doesn't mean they have to surrender to it.

The form was awful, no doubt. But our greatest coach in decades deserved more time and more respect from the club.

I suspect the majority were just frustrated with results like happens with every club, and wanted a quick fix. That went so well. Levy had mostly forced the situation with the 2-3 years of shoddy squad management.

Of course we were frustrated.

We had managed to muster up 25 points from a possible 72 in his final 24 games in charge. We found ourselves 14th in the league with a third of the season gone and the football was mediocre.

Woolwich at one point were literally in a relegation battle and sat 16th. If you think Woolwich fans, with AFTV and all that shite, are more patient & understanding than us meanie Spurs fans, you're having a giggle. It's up to the board to hold their nerve, obviously fan pressure will exist when a coach is doing badly but that doesn't mean they have to surrender to it.

The form was awful, no doubt. But our greatest coach in decades deserved more time and more respect from the club.

Woolwich had a shocking 5 months at the start of the 20/21 season before Arteta grew some balls and decided to fuck off certain players and it's been pretty much an upward curve for them since. But he was likely given that leeway because of the FA Cup win.

It's looking more and more that Woolwich are an outlier in the situation though. I can't think of many clubs at all, certainly not one the size of Woolwich that would have stuck by the manager after that 5 months they had at the beginning of the 2020/21 season. Certainly one as inexperienced as him.

Even then though, they still looked like they had a plan with the way they played football. We looked all over the place during Pochs final 9 months.

We had managed to muster up 25 points from a possible 72 in his final 24 games in charge. We found ourselves 14th in the league with a third of the season gone and the football was mediocre.

Woolwich had a shocking 5 months at the start of the 20/21 season before Arteta grew some balls and decided to fuck off certain players and it's been pretty much an upward curve for them since. But he was likely given that leeway because of the FA Cup win.

It's looking more and more that Woolwich are an outlier in the situation though. I can't think of many clubs at all, certainly not one the size of Woolwich that would have stuck by the manager after that 5 months they had at the beginning of the 2020/21 season. Certainly one as inexperienced as him.

Even then though, they still looked like they had a plan with the way they played football. We looked all over the place during Pochs final 9 months.

Yeah, and he got us to a CL final and had four years of CL qualification (incl our record points tally in the PL, incredible football) weighed against that. We had a stuttering team which Poch himself said needed rebuilding, but we had a coach who had overseen a painful rebuild before. The first period of genuinely being shit, we sacked him.

He was given leeway for an FA cup win? Poch deserved 10x as much leeway for, again, being our best manager in decades.

Not many clubs would've given Arteta that time, but plenty would've given Poch time. He was essentially our Klopp (given relative status of Liverpool vs Spurs) and deserved a full season to turn around a crisis. We've paid for his sacking since.

Yeah, and he got us to a CL final and had four years of CL qualification (incl our record points tally in the PL, incredible football) weighed against that. We had a stuttering team which Poch himself said needed rebuilding, but we had a coach who had overseen a painful rebuild before. The first period of genuinely being shit, we sacked him.

He was given leeway for an FA cup win? Poch deserved 10x as much leeway for, again, being our best manager in decades.

Not many clubs would've given Arteta that time, but plenty would've given Poch time. He was essentially our Klopp (given relative status of Liverpool vs Spurs) and deserved a full season to turn around a crisis. We've paid for his sacking since.

We haven't paid because we sacked Pochettino though. There was absolutely nothing wrong with sacking him at the time. The performances and results are clear for all to see. And I distinctly remember no fan having much of an issue with it either.

We've paid because we've constantly made the wrong decision when it's come to either recruitment or managerial hires. Mourinho was a disaster and following him up with Nuno was even worse.

He left us in 14th place. 11 points off the top four and just 6 points clear of relegation. With a squad of players that had downed tools, new signings that were disappointing or weren't getting started due to fitness issues and a style of football that was horrendous to watch.

You did omit he left us 3 points of 5th place.
With a better goall difference than 6 out of the 9 teams between 5th and 13th

Two sides to every coin.

But he was a dead man walking after the CL final.
Once you lose some players it’s over for managers in this day and age.

And it’s why I don’t think he should come back right now. Too many faces from that squad. A totally clean skate is required.

I’ve said it before I think. Hoddle went to Chavs. Was a professional manager and he did ok there. But has always stayed a Spurs legend at heart. So I can deal with the current situation. If Chavs back Poch properly and allow him to rebuild the heart and soul of that awful club, then he could be horribly successful. If they expect instant success and continue to put players above managers, then he’ll likely fail.

PL football is completely dead now as a sport. It’s business. Coca Cola vs Pepsi. We’re probably Vimto in that analogy. Or panda pops.

I’ve said it before I think. Hoddle went to Chavs. Was a professional manager and he did ok there. But has always stayed a Spurs legend at heart. So I can deal with the current situation.

Poch & Hoddle aren't in the same bracket as far as legend status goes.

It was 14th but 3 points off Woolwich in 6th, so there were hardly relegation fears.

I get that people were getting worried with the form, it was certainly a bad run*, but with the benefit of hindsight it was a mistake to sack him at that point. Without wanting to sound like a smug prick, I never wanted him sacked, and am yet to be convinced it was the right action after nearly 4 years of disasters since.

*primarily due to 3 years of no or bad signings and under investment coming home to roost. Dembele had just gone , Vertonghen and Alderweireld aging, Dele and Rose rapidly forgetting how to play football, Eriksen deciding to throw in the towel, and Pochettino left with a midfield of Winks and Sissoko.

Back
Top Bottom