Fort Knox FC Vs Palace Sat 6th May 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree. Mason should get the job on this showing. The players clearly want to play for him. Every player left it all out on the pitch. Blood and sweat for mason. He deserves a real shot.
giphy.webp

"Most" being?

(I'm not in the business of predictions...... I can only speak of what I'd want. Much like your OG question asked.....)
As in most managers play with a back 4 not a back 5 and the fact that nagglesmann who looks likely to be our next manager plays with a back 4 as does slot, De zebri and Kompany

As in most managers play with a back 4 not a back 5 and the fact that nagglesmann who looks likely to be our next manager plays with a back 4 as does slot, De zebri and Kompany

"most of the managers we are linked to play a back 4"

JN is most likely to play 3142 or 325

Not a spunkfest, but some little nuggets of joy in there. The biggest of which for me was Royal at RCB (which in turn put Romero at CCB where he is more disciplined).

I know some have suggested he gets a go there previously (I’m sure I’ve heard it suggested somewhere??) but he was a fucking revaluation. Providing much more disciplined cover for the RWB than the cluster bomb approach of Romero tearing about like a twat. Athletically perfect for the role, strong and tenacious in challenges, is a better defender (probably becomes our best CB defensively by default immediately) but also gets up and down the pitch and is decent on the ball.

That was the best back three combo we’ve played all season. It functioned.

I only saw little bits of both Porro and Spence before we signed either, but have to say, I cannot see why Spence was deemed a riskier proposition? Even in forward areas, Porro does some sloppy shit. I’m not writing the guy off, he has some offensive upside, and hopefully he can be coached to make better choices. At least next year we will have two genuine RWB’s to rotate.

Davies is meh, and very careless with the ball, but against Olise, I get his selection. Made sense, and effectively worked.

Udogie will also give us a compromise between the flimsy defensive nothingness of Peresic and abject offensive nothingness of Davies. Although from what I’ve seen of Udogie, he’s not a great lover of all things defensive, we really need another LB for the squad.

For the millionth time we did the double pivot of meh. Neither Conte nor Mason capable of realising that more attacking players doesn’t necessarily mean better quality attacking play. We struggle all game to transition the ball through midfield, often ending up with us either shuffling the ball from side to side, by which time a well organised Palace team (everybody except us is organised to deal with the side to side shuffle it seems) we’re in position, or with defenders having to bypass midfield and hit high risk passes that none of our front three are good at holding onto, even if the pass finds them, which was about 20%.

Son had his best game of the season for me. If he worked off the ball like this every week, his baron phases of fuckbumbling chances would be much more tolerable. I have never seen him work so hard and give so much to the team without the ball. It’s a low bar with him, but credit where it’s due.

Masons subs again were a bit weird. Against Utd he chose to shore up a 2-2, today he decides to keep three forwards and two overworked CM’s to protect a 1-0.

But big credit to him for some of the calls. Royal worked great, kept Zaha quiet and supported Porro well. Davies meant we sacrificed build up and offensive threat down the left ourselves, but stopped theirs. Kulusevski needed dropping. And he got more effort out of Son than I can remember seeing.

Royal MTM.

Can someone please explain to me what just happened? On the big sign, the number next to THFC was bigger than the number next to the other lot. I am not sure that I have seen this before, and am a bit confused.

Who is this Harry Kane feller anyway? Is he the one with all the estate agents' brochures for big houses in Cheshire in the back of his motor?

ATM with Udogie arriving in the summer as LWB and Porro looking fine as RWB - not sure either are good enough defensively to play as full backs - the current squad looks a better fit playing with 3 CB's rather than a back 4.

Reinforcements needed whichever, and probably ideally 6 incoming for the 3 CB solution - but more required for a back 4 and I doubt that's practical.

So I think manager will need to play the best formation for the players he has, and not be dogmatic like Conte and try to force square pegs (players) into round holes

Not a spunkfest, but some little nuggets of joy in there. The biggest of which for me was Royal at RCB (which in turn put Romero at CCB where he is more disciplined).

I know some have suggested he gets a go there previously (I’m sure I’ve heard it suggested somewhere??) but he was a fucking revaluation. Providing much more disciplined cover for the RWB than the cluster bomb approach of Romero tearing about like a twat. Athletically perfect for the role, strong and tenacious in challenges, is a better defender (probably becomes our best CB defensively by default immediately) but also gets up and down the pitch and is decent on the ball.

I only saw little bits of both Porro and Spence before we signed either, but have to say, I cannot see why Spence was deemed a riskier proposition? Even in forward areas, Porro does some sloppy shit. I’m not writing the guy off, he has some offensive upside, and hopefully he can be coached to make better choices. At least next year we will have two genuine RWB’s to rotate.

Davies is meh, and very careless with the ball, but against Olise, I get his selection. Made sense, and effectively worked.

Udogie will also give us a compromise between the flimsy defensive nothingness of Peresic and abject offensive nothingness of Davies. Although from what I’ve seen of Udogie, he’s not a great lover of all things defensive, we really need another LB for the squad.

For the millionth time we did the double pivot of meh. Neither Conte nor Mason capable of realising that more attacking players doesn’t necessarily mean better quality attacking play. We struggle all game to transition the ball through midfield, often ending up with us either shuffling the ball from side to side, by which time a well organised Palace team (everybody except us is organised to deal with the side to side shuffle it seems) we’re in position, or with defenders having to bypass midfield and hit high risk passes that none of our front three are good at holding onto, even if the pass finds them, which was about 20%.

Son had his best game of the season for me. If he worked off the ball like this every week, his baron phases of fuckbumbling chances would be much more tolerable. I have never seen him work so hard and give so much to the team without the ball. It’s a low bar with him, but credit where it’s due.

Masons subs again were a bit weird. Against Utd he chose to shore up a 2-2, today he decides to keep three forwards and two overworked CM’s to protect a 1-0.

But big credit to him for some of the calls. Royal worked great, kept Zaha quiet and supported Porro well. Davies meant we sacrificed build up and offensive threat down the left ourselves, but stopped theirs. Kulusevski needed dropping. And he got more effort out of Son than I can remember seeing.

Royal MTM.
Zaha took him to the cleaners on his debut as well, nice bit of payback

Royal MTM.
I'm shocked you see Royal's position as a RCB and Romero as CCB. Yes, that was the build up play but to me the shape was clearly a back 4 with Royal at RB and Romero at RCB.

I think I'm pushing back so much against the idea of classifying Royal as a RCB today because it sort of implies the defensive system wasn't totally altered from a back 5 to a back 4. I would not at all describe Royal as slotting into a RCB in the system and same for Romero at CCB.

To me it's a clear defensive system change from 5-4-1/5-3-2 to 4-4-2.

Royal MTM.

For whatever reason, Sarr has hardly played since looking reasonable playing with Skipp against AC Milan - not sure why Mason hasn't used him more but he hasn't. With Bissouma having come back after a long time injured on the bench suggests he may not be fully match fit enough to start.

And that I think is why Mason didn't go to 3 in the middle, but brought on Danjuma with the hope that with fresh legs the ball would be kept in the Palace half as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom