£88m for Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Best case scenario if he stays: we bring in a manager who reinvigorates the club with a fresh attacking style and new signings. Kane, enjoying his football while continuing to score goals and challenge for trophies, signs a new contract and spends the rest of his career at Spurs.

Worst case scenario if he stays: the manager search drags on and we appoint someone who just doesn’t work out. Without a trophy in sight, the football is a drag and Kane wants out. Levy refuses to back down and sell. We get 1 or 2 seasons of football just like this one with Kane going through ups and downs before leaving on a free, probably to a premier league rival.

Best case scenario if we sell: we get a fee upward of 110mil to a non prem rival and reinvest smartly, according to the concise directions of a new footballing direction for the club. A new manager comes in and uses the money to buy a star player plus a couple of prospects in key positions. The club is on an upward trajectory with a confident club identity and the right players/manager for the job.

Worst case scenario if we sell: the selling process is a nightmare with Kane and the clubs name getting dragged through the media. We sell for an underwhelming amount to a direct rival on deadline day. The money is poorly reinvested under the guidance of a hack manager. Paratici still hasn’t been let go as he continues to try clear his name. Without Kane’s goals we fall to around 10th-12th and the future looks bleak.

Best case scenario if he stays: we bring in a manager who reinvigorates the club with a fresh attacking style and new signings. Kane, enjoying his football while continuing to score goals and challenge for trophies, signs a new contract and spends the rest of his career at Spurs.

Worst case scenario if he stays: the manager search drags on and we appoint someone who just doesn’t work out. Without a trophy in sight, the football is a drag and Kane wants out. Levy refuses to back down and sell. We get 1 or 2 seasons of football just like this one with Kane going through ups and downs before leaving on a free, probably to a premier league rival.

Best case scenario if we sell: we get a fee upward of 110mil to a non prem rival and reinvest smartly, according to the concise directions of a new footballing direction for the club. A new manager comes in and uses the money to buy a star player plus a couple of prospects in key positions. The club is on an upward trajectory with a confident club identity and the right players/manager for the job.

Worst case scenario if we sell: the selling process is a nightmare with Kane and the clubs name getting dragged through the media. We sell for an underwhelming amount to a direct rival on deadline day. The money is poorly reinvested under the guidance of a hack manager. Paratici still hasn’t been let go as he continues to try clear his name. Without Kane’s goals we fall to around 10th-12th and the future looks bleak.
To me, any of those outcomes are totally within our grasp. But seeing as how the last couple of years have gone, I see it as being near impossible that we make all the decisions needed to attain either of the best case scenarios.

Regardless of that, what I want to happen is that the club and Harry have a frank and open discussion this summer. “Harry, do you intend to sign a new contract with us? We need to know now. If not, we can sell you for a good fee and you get 2 more seasons at another club rather than having to wait for the free transfer.”

I just don’t want more of this same old ‘wait and see’ bullshit. Either way, be brave, hash it out and make a decision. Get some smarter people than yourselves involved to steer this club in the right direction. It can be with or without Kane. We just need to know where we’re fucking going rather than stumbling around hoping to luck into something good.

Perhaps his wife would have a huge say in this. Young family, settled, already more money than they could ever wish for. Would you really want to unsettle all that, when you are already made ? Having said that, while the kids are young, maybe a warm country living in luxury...
Just hope whatever happens is pretty much announced within a few days of the end of the season, don't want the likes of Neville and Sky cronies stirring up shit.

Also, I have no faith in our ability to spend any amount of money we get, on the correct and productive signings. Our past examples of this are hardly glowing endorsements. No CL next year, no manager at the moment and certainly not a settled manager by the Summer. Doesn't exactly make us a no brainer to sign for if there are other alternatives out there..

Would anybody be interested in any of uniteds surplus players if we were to do a deal with them this summer. Sancho? Henderson? Martial?

Yes, frankly, with Henderson a particularly good shout,

......And the Martial shout a particularly bad meme.

but Levy considers accepting players as part-exchange a failure and sign of weakness so it won't happen.

I don't think that's true at all....

We totally wanted Sancho as part of the Walker to City deal.....

However, most of the time these mooted swaps in relation to big deals sees the so-called big club trying to fob their overpaid duds onto the smaller team...... Our philosophy on swaps should always be "No" unless they're a player we'd have be genuinely interested in regardless.

Off to Chelsea with Poch? They need a No 9

Cant Hear You Green Bay Packers GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

I don't think that's true at all....

We totally wanted Sancho as part of the Walker to City deal.....

However, most of the time these mooted swaps in relation to big deals sees the so-called big club trying to fob their overpaid duds onto the smaller team...... Our philosophy on swaps should always be "No" unless they're a player we'd have be genuinely interested in regardless.
Player inclusions have to be our idea and our initiative for Levy to consider them, put it that way.

It's well known as his tactic to mug off and try to bully potential transfer partners.

It's obviously very difficult to coordinate all parties on a player swap deal, but I think a club in Tottenham's position would actually benefit quite a bit from a bit more flexibility and creativity on that score.

A) Player inclusions have to be our idea and our initiative for Levy to consider them, put it that way.B) It's well known as his tactic to mug off and try to bully potential transfer partners.
It's obviously very difficult to coordinate all parties on a player swap deal, but I think a club in Tottenham's position would actually benefit quite a bit from a bit more flexibility and creativity on that score.

Creativity is always helpful in finding solutions: I just (once again) don't know where you get all these "Levy thinks X" proclamations from.....

I can't think of any examples where what you suggest (A or B or the one from your prev. post) has been evident.

I can't think of any examples where what you suggest (A or B or the one from your prev. post) has been evident.
Are you joking?

We tried to insert Josh Onomah into so many deals it remains a running joke.

It's exactly as you said, trying to use unwanted players as transfer currency is part of the tradecraft in this space.

Opening negotiations with an insultingly low offer with the intent to unsettle the player is as core to Levy's tactics as playing the ball short from a goal kick is to Pep Guardiola's. Inserting players as part exchange is part and parcel of that.

Are you joking?

We tried to insert Josh Onomah into so many deals it remains a running joke.

I miss-read your comment B obviously.....

......But I'm still no further forward with regard to:

OG: "Levy considers accepting players as part-exchange a failure and sign of weakness so it won't happen."?

Comment A: "Player inclusions have to be our idea and our initiative for Levy to consider them?"

We were original talking about players INCOMING to Spurs as part of bigger outgoing deals.... You said we don't do it enough.

..........Who are these players we turned down because they weren't Levy's suggestion?

He doesn't want players, he wants cash.

We only ever offer to swap players...ffs sure the last deal with United we ended up with Frazier Campbell just because we'd have been left with fuck all when we lost Berba and Keane...Ramos wanted Villa or Eto'o, Levy wanted Darren Bent to play so his value might increase (lol).

Good call again Daniel.

Juande was another one, poached him from Sevilla and had to pay a shitload of compensation, gave him a 4 year deal, then completely fucked him after he actually lifted a trophy for us and paid him off likely double figured millions.

:levyeyes:

..........Who are these players we turned down because they weren't Levy's suggestion?
Not to disagree with Levy's decision to not want the player, but both Alderwiereld and Dier probably would have been sold to United in different windows if we'd taken Martial as part exchange.

Not sure the players could have been convinced but City would have met Levy's valuation for Kane with players as part of the deal two summers ago.

Wasn't Inter trying to pay for Ndombele with players after his first season here too? It wasn't Skriniar was it? That would be ironic.

Many such cases!

Not to disagree with Levy's decision to not want the player, but both Alderwiereld and Dier probably would have been sold to United in different windows if we'd taken Martial as part exchange.

That was actually reportedly a thing? (Sounds more like fan-talk, but I'll take it as an example in good faith). However you're talking about players we had no interest in shifting.

Not sure the players could have been convinced but City would have met Levy's valuation for Kane with players as part of the deal two summers ago.

That problem starts and ends there with City under-valuing Kane (and as you said whether they were inclined to come).

Wasn't Inter trying to pay for Ndombele with players after his first season here too? It wasn't Skriniar was it? That would be ironic.

Many such cases!

Topically I understood you to be talking about player exits that were actually in the offing.

i.e. Players from RM in part-Ex for Bale.
Walker/City etc.

........Not throwaway trf rumours that The Sun chuck about on a quiet news day.

Last edited:
However you're talking about players we had no interest in shifting.

Topically I understood you to be talking about

Players form RM in part-Ex for Bale.
Buddy the fact that we have never once taken a cash-plus-player deal (but given cash-plus-player several times) is evidence for my point, not yours.
That problem starts and ends there with City under-valuing Kane.
I mean not in a hypothetical where Bernardo Silva and Nathan Ake or whatever is coming in the other direction. Those two plus 60M or whatever gets you to 150.

They would have done it if the players had agreed.

Depending on how the next 18 months shakes out, Levy's absolute refusal to engage with their interest may prove to be the worst decision of his chairmanship. That was the chance to break toward something new on the front foot.

Would anybody be interested in any of uniteds surplus players if we were to do a deal with them this summer. Sancho? Henderson? Martial?
There's no way we sell Harry to United...or any PL team for that matter. But especially to Utd, blue chavs, red chavs or Geordies. Why strengthen a rival for top 4, it'd be utter madness...and sheer incompetence (again) from Levy. Unless obviously they offer us ridiculous money, and I'm talking a bare minimum of 150mil + easy bonuses + 2 or 3 very good players in return.

But I'll play along for the sake of it. Henderson? Yeah he's young and HG, decent shot-stopper but I don't think he's all that with his feet...and in general...so that's a no. Sancho? The kid obviously has insane talent but can he get it all back at dysfunctional Spurs, regardless of the new boss' identity? I'm not sure he has the mental minerals. Martial? You're having a lol! And let's not even mention that big fat Greek-fighting lump they got at the back. I'd have Casemiro and Rashford, though

Buddy the fact that we have never once taken a cash-plus-player deal (but given cash-plus-player several times) is evidence for my point, not yours.

It's not "evidence" of what you're claiming.....

Name me one instance where we let a player go where we should have incorporated a swap and the reason that it didn't happen was due to Levy's ego.

That's how "evidence" works....... This is just 1 + 1 = oranges.

My "point"..... My point extends no further than "what makes you think that?".

I mean not in a hypothetical where Bernardo Silva and Nathan Ake or whatever is coming in the other direction. Those two plus 60M or whatever gets you to 150.

That ilk/price-tag was never on offer though... It was just 75m+ add ons (later fleshed out as "ok then, 100m") and those players could be incorporated if we chose.

Depending on how the next 18 months shakes out, Levy's absolute refusal to engage with their interest may prove to be the worst decision of his chairmanship. That was the chance to break toward something new on the front foot.

With due respect to our current convo; I can't be arsed to go down that path.... There's a bazzillion page Kane thread that tells the full story of how the majority of fans felt about all that.

Personally; I was happy he stayed and have continued to enjoy him playing for us..... But hey; that's just the fan in me (rather than indulging some game of "I can best run Spurs".... As seems to be a large part of being a fan these days).

(Last part isn't a swipe at you or anyone else btw.)

That ilk/price-tag was never on offer though... It was just 75m+ add ons
I will not engage with this, from you or anyone, ever. Made up my mind on that the day I saw this becoming the Levybot Big Lie on the subject. This is the kind of insincerity that underlies your entire posting practice in this area and I encourage you to reconsider and do better in the future.

Back
Top Bottom