"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Exactly my thoughts, patronising and aloof, but then that has always been his style right back to the days of the Mary Whitehouse Experience. Flav could barely get a word in edgeways against that egotistical little prick.

It's also worth noting that Vine is a chelsea fan.

I didn't know Vine was a cheatski fan. I did sort of get a feel that Vine to start with was impartial but after a couple of minutes it sort of felt as if he was like i've made my mind up i'll go with David he might let me have a cig with him behind the bike shed after if he thinks i'm cool enough.

Can't open that what is it?

It's a letter someone posted on the Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur page on FB

here it is in full
Allan O'neill
Letter to baddiel from the poster nty on SIMB

It is a real counter blast....

Dear David

Here we are again. The Y word. Or to refer to its real name, The C Word. Because as you and I both know this little problem is not about Spurs fans using the word Yid in a positive or negative manner. Its about feeling uncomfortable at Chelsea games.

I can appreciate where you are coming from. As a Jewish Tottenham fan myself, going to Stamford Bridge is an incredibly difficult day out for me. Im 37 and I look like a typical NW London Jew. You and I would pick each other out as Jews from 100 yards at any holiday destination on Earth. I even have a brilliant Jewish hooter to top off the look. I am what I am. Getting off the tube at Fulham Broadway though, I might as well have that yellow star sewn to my coat, because you are quite right this is not what football is about. Its a quite vile experience and as a father of two boys, one that I wont be putting them through until they are a lot older, if at all. To be honest though, this is your problem and not mine. We turned an insult into a positive. All on our own. The gay community did it with the word queer. Its quite clever really. Quite why you suggest that those who turned the insult into a term of fraternity should lead the way, so those that use it as a racial insult can be told not to use it, is quite frankly illogical.

Chelsea, West Ham, Leeds. These are the three places where I have heard the gassing noises and felt that pang of nausea in my stomach. A pang you describe and which Im sure you feel somewhat ashamed about. Be that as it may, Tottenham on a match day is probably the safest environment in England for a Jewish person. Isnt that lovely? My family have 4 tickets and we are reform Jews. However I often give any spares to two ultra orthodox Spurs fans. They both wear kippot and one of them looks like every rabbi youve ever seen in your haggadah. They get cheered through the streets of Tottenham. They love it! People smile at them, chant Yiddo at them and they wear their spurs shirts and their tzitzit with pride. How wonderful is that? In an era where there is so much bitterness and negativity, these two fellas can enjoy their football and their religion and feel totally safe. Thirty years ago that might have not been the case as the bananas hailed down on black wingers and coins were thrown at Jews to see if they would pick them up.

David, I am a huge fan of your work, but in this you are so wide of the mark that I find your view offensive. I find what you are trying to do, actually borderline anti-semetic. Dont hide away the victims and shut them up because it makes your match day experience difficult. This is Chelseas problem. This is West Hams problem. This is Leeds Uniteds problem.

In Germany in 1933, SS men stood outside Jewish shops to deter anyone from entering. In 1934, buses, trains and park benches had seats marked out for us to sit on and our children were taught specifically anti-semetic ideas. In 1935 the Nuremberg Law was passed and Jews lost their rights to be German citizens and marriage between Jews and non-Jews became illegal. You know how this story ends.

In 2013 Jews and non Jews in a small corner of London, are united. Please please please, dont poppycock that up.

From 0:28. What was that about propagating a myth that spurs is a jewish club...?

So of the double act of Baddiel and Skinner, only 50% is Jewish, yet it's ok to poke fun at jews supporting spurs and driving volvos? ok.

(btw not suggesting i'm offended by the sketch, just reeks of double standards)

From 0:28. What was that about propagating a myth that spurs is a jewish club...?

So of the double act of Baddiel and Skinner, only 50% is Jewish, yet it's ok to poke fun at jews supporting spurs and driving volvos? ok.

I'm confused about whether i'm ALLOWED to be offended by that sketch or not...?
Flav, couldn't do us a favour and ask your mate David if we're allowed to be offended by his little sketch?

The most shocking thing to come out of today was Flav's first name...
johnny-carson.jpg

The Hasidic Jew there is that boring, bitter blue Andy Jacobs.

good spot! Thought the voice sounded familiar... (and no, not every other Hasidic Jew you've ever heard on a football pitch!)

For all our noble intent when we used the phrase was a genuinely different time when it was not just vile words used against jewish people but pretty vile actions too, things are different now...

I think in some ways it is more relevant now.

Lazio and Lyon were genuine anti-Semitic attacks. Do you say, well, most of us aren't even Jewish so they have got the wrong people and we shouldn't identify with Jews, or some of our fans are Jewish so let's stand up collectively for them. It's pretty obvious which one is right in that situation, and how else do you do that than by chanting "Yid Army"?

I think in some ways it is more relevant now.

Lazio and Lyon were genuine anti-Semitic attacks. Do you say, well, most of us aren't even Jewish so they have got the wrong people and we shouldn't identify with Jews, or some of our fans are Jewish so let's stand up collectively for them. It's pretty obvious which one is right in that situation, and how else do you do that than by chanting "Yid Army"?

We could all dress up like Andy Jacobs in that Phoenix From the Flames sketch of course!!!!
Cos that wasn't stereotyping an ENTIRE religion, let alone a collective set of fans, was it...?
HE ASKED FOR DIRECTIONS TO TOTTENHAM FFS, what else are other teams' fans supposed to think?
(Bearing in mind, that during the mid-90's, Skinner & Baddeil were responsible for MOSTLY EVERYTHING that football fans thought!)

I guess we can expect him to bang on about it on ITV 4 tomorrow night...

The chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association, Clarke Carlisle, has called on Tottenham Hotspur to stop their fans using the word "Yid" in chants after the prime minister entered the row about the use of the term.

David Cameron said Spurs fans – who use the term as an act of defiance after anti-Jewish abuse in the past from rival supporters – should not face prosecution, despite the Football Association warning fans that use of such words could result in either a banning order or criminal charges.

Carlisle said he agreed with the comedian David Baddiel who argued in the Guardian that there would be an outcry if a team with old roots in the black community appropriate racist language.

Carlisle said: "Do they have a right to appropriate that term when it would be indescribably offensive to anyone else?

"David Baddiel says that's how it feels as a Jewish man going to Tottenham and hearing them chant that. If it is highly offensive to him then I think Spurs have to take that on board, because he will not be the only person.

"It is not for them to appropriate a derogatory offensive term that was used to belittle a whole section of society in a terrible era."

Carlisle pointed out that such chants breached the law. "Spurs fans may not intend for it to be offensive but it will be perceived to be offensive by a section of the community and the law states that's not allowed – it's not even my personal opinion, that's what the law states," he said.

Tottenham responded to the FA warning by announcing they would send a questionnaire to season ticket holders asking if the practice should stop. Fans reacted defiantly to the FA's statement on Saturday as they chanted "Yid Army" and "We'll sing what we want" throughout the 2-0 win over Norwich City.

If Spurs fans stop using yid in a positive sense, we'll only be left with the negative. As we stand, the positive by far outweighs the negative, so I believe we should allow it to stand.

At the moment if someone calls someone else a yid I assume they mean Spurs fan. No connection to being Jewish at all. If you take that away, yid will only be a term used in an offensive manner towards Jewish people and therefore carry much more significance.

Hasidic jews raving to Oh When The Spurs.

If it's not in circulation on the Interwebz then I'm not going to post it. Mainly because I'm a coward who doesn't want to host it then end up getting quoted in the Metro or something if someone sees it as bad taste.

Bascially it's an amaturish version of Baptazia but with Slow Oh When The Spurs instead of Andy C

Back
Top Bottom