The Race for the Title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looks to be between Citeh and Woolwich for the title. I’m very worried now about how Woolwich are going. They have a real big game mentality now. I can see them winning it.

We’re heading for 6th or 7th. We’re the exact opposite. We shrivel and go into our shell in big games.

Tired of the “Woolwich will bottle it / injuries will kill them off” sentiment. I agree, they took their humiliation at the end of last season and have seemingly used it to galvanise. Rotten eggs out, decent recruitment, togetherness, a stylish ‘brand’ of play and yes, a bit of luck and they are - worryingly - looking set for a title challenge.

It makes what is happening to us all the more galling. We are the ones shitting the bed and cowering when playing top teams. Ultra defensive football, only coming out and playing when losing. We’ll be lucky to get 6th or 7th. A total shitshow…

Another year without any actual success. This club used to have ambition.
We've signed the world's best manager, and his mate, possibly the world's best DOF. We're getting the players they want.

Even Conte seems to be giving up now. We've got a gypsy's curse on us i'm sure. How many semi-finals without a win is it now?

Ha ha...who the fuck comes up with this thread....its laughable to say the least..
Stop it, this years thread should be finishing in the top 10
All the fans saying bEsT evR sTart tO tHe ePL.... we're 8 points off Woolwich in top, and they have a game in hand. Our GD is half theirs. United are a shambles but they go level if they win their game in hand. We'll be heading into the WC below 5th I reckon. I'm surprised we got through the CL TBH.

All the fans saying bEsT evR sTart tO tHe ePL.... we're 8 points off Woolwich in top, and they have a game in hand. Our GD is half theirs. United are a shambles but they go level if they win their game in hand. We'll be heading into the WC below 5th I reckon. I'm surprised we got through the CL TBH.

It was our best start ever a few weeks ago, not sure now though and also not sure why you're using a stat about us to other teams, the comparison should only be used to our previous teams hence why it was being bought up.

A season of Europa league would be worth that final day of hilarity.
Finishing a close second to City is hardly an embarrassment this season. The lack of funds coming from another season in the EL would still any progress we can make signing the world's top players. That's even if we can convince them to come play in the EL.

It was our best start ever a few weeks ago, not sure now though and also not sure why you're using a stat about us to other teams, the comparison should only be used to our previous teams hence why it was being bought up.
The results and the table even then flattered us and masked our true performances. Now they are coming into line again so the reality is becoming clear.

Admin Admin can we change the thread title to either the race for sixth or the race down to the bottom.

edit: or maybe the quest for some dignity.

Thankyou.

Sad The Office GIF

Last edited:
For all our frailties in recent games, currently 3rd in table going into international break is a respectable position - and nobody can overtake us if they play the 15 games we have played.:

1 Woolwich......34 points from 13 games (GD +20)
2 ManCity ........ 32 points from 14 games (GD +26)
3 Spurs ............. 29 points from 15 games (GD + 10)
4 Newcastle .... 28 points from 15 games (GD + 17)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
5 ManU ................23 points from 13 games (GD -1)
6 Liverpool .........22 points from 14 games (GD +11)
7 Chelsea ............. 22 points from 14 games (GD +1)
8 Brighton........... 21 points from 13 games (GD + 5)

Our more traditional rivals for top places, ManU, Liverpoo and Chelsea are a little below us. The surprise is in top position, really wasn't expecting it at start of season, and I think/hope they fall away plus I wasn't expecting Newcastle to have as good a start as they have.

But we are well placed for the 2nd half of the season. I'd like 2 or 3 players of the calibre of last January's signings (Kulusevski and Bentancur) if they are available !

The other thing I'd like to see is better squad rotation (we actually have a full 25 man squad - but haven't used some players at all which is crazy) - with game frequency in last couple of months not rotating much has resulted in over tired players which has cost us imo.

Considering the awful performances generally we are well enough placed with a break now for Conte to hopefully bring in a couple of badly needed upgrades. As has been said in different threads its the fact that the goons are flying is driving a lot of the comments about our season but there is time to for us to acheive something .

1. Woolwich - +12
Newcastle- +8
Tottenham - +4
Crystal Palace- +4
------------------------
Man Utd - +4
Brentford - +3
Brighton - +3
Everton - - 1
Leeds - -1
Man City - - 2
Aston Villa - -5
Leicester - -6
Southampton - -7
Chelsea - -7
Wolves - -9
West Ham - -12
Liverpool - -14

*Fulham take place of Burnley
**Bournemouth take place of Watford
***Nottm Forest take place of Norwich
Promoted teams omitted from overall table however.

Last edited:
odegard is massive for Woolwich. teams need to clatter him early doors he looks like that might unsettle him. i dont think they look that good they have good balance in midfield though with him and partey and its paying off. martenelli good too

Back
Top Bottom