Ivan Toney

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Trippier was banned for a year for one instance of gambling/influencing gambling.

I assume that based on the sheer amount of allegations Toney will not just get a few months.

I was responding to a text suggesting it would take until at least 24 December (when Spurs play Brentford) to give him any form of ban - suggesting that as Toney has until next Thursday to enter a defence there's no reason why whatever ban there might be could not be agreed before that date.

My guess is that the ban would be months rather than years - but how many months who knows, whether he plays in and how much of the 2nd half of the season is possibly the question.

Pretty sure a lot of these bets happened when he was broke ass, playing for Peterborough Scunthorpe ect. He just seems to be a bloke with an addiction. Which pretty much has zero to do with your material wealth.

Bets from 2017 - 21.

Even playing for Peterborough and Scunthorpe he was earning way more than the UK average wage What is Ivan Toney's Salary Per Week? | Salary Sport has him earning more than £250k pa, no surprise as he was highly regarded when a Newcastle trainee - Newcastle thought they had better though (a huge mistake) which Barry Fy at Peterborough was able to seize on to take him there. So plenty of money and not poor at all.

So the bets were nothing to do with wealth, possibly just boredom of 'what to do after training finished'.

He wasn't match fixing by the looks of it so it is strange regarding the timing of this news being leaked.

Who benefits from the leak I wonder?

Mr school dinners certainly does. Not as prolific as Toney on the field of play but back in with a shout for his recent form.

Who would Southgate prefer I wonder?

Penny dropping?

Strange how these things often happen at convenient / inconvenient moments.....

I get the "respect the integrity of the game" part when it comes to players betting, but to be honest, as long as they don't bet on things like themselves (or mates playing for other teams) getting booked first or missing a pen etc, I'm not that bothered about it. Say if Toney put a grand down on City to win the treble at the start of the season, I don't really have an issue with it.

Like some said on here, for sure there are many other players in the Football league who gamble regularly, and how do you want to catch them all, especially the ones clever enough to do their betting through an anonymous third party? Throwing the book at Trippier & Toney seems a bit ridiculous and unfair.

Instead, I think the powers that be should review the whole thing and set some sort of boundaries, like put a system in place where players are allowed to gamble on the footy but under strict conditions. And that system is closely monitored. You get the players to sign a thing that says that if they still screw up, then they get banned. I think that'll be the end of the issue and the big brains in big offices can focus on other stuff that really impact the integrity of the game...

He wasn't match fixing by the looks of it so it is strange regarding the timing of this news being leaked.

Who benefits from the leak I wonder?
Leaked? Timing?

"The Brentford striker...was charged on Wednesday after the FA concluded an investigation into activity which covered a period of nearly four years".
"Toney has one week to reply to the charges, with a deadline set of Thursday 24 November".

Say if Toney put a grand down on City to win the treble at the start of the season, I don't really have an issue with it.
But that is gambling on himself… he plays against city at least twice and could influence the outcome.

English players should not be allowed to bet on English teams… too much inside information or risk of match fixing. If Toney wanted to bet on la liga, I wouldn’t care.

Really if the rules are that he shouldnt bet at all, then he shouldn’t. He makes a million per season.

Last edited:
Leaked? Timing?

"The Brentford striker...was charged on Wednesday after the FA concluded an investigation into activity which covered a period of nearly four years".
"Toney has one week to reply to the charges, with a deadline set of Thursday 24 November".

I read about it here.

"The 26-year-old is said to have been left "devastated" by news of the leak, as he has his heart set on earning a place in Gareth Southgate's England squad for the Qatar World Cup."

Last edited:
I wonder how many other players do it and just haven’t got caught. Lots I suspect.
Probably a ton of them.

I remember an article in a Swedish paper when a footballer in our top league was revealed to have been betting on games. He said something along the line of everyone betting on something. Maybe not football but almost every player in the league bets on something because they have nothing better to do with their time and money.

So I would not be surprised if there is a similar problem in the English game as well.

I read about it here.

"The 26-year-old is said to have been left "devastated" by news of the leak, as he has his heart set on earning a place in Gareth Southgate's England squad for the Qatar World Cup."
Yes, you're right it was leaked. But my point is it was going to be revealed a few days later on the Wednesday when the FA charged him.

Bets from 2017 - 21.

Even playing for Peterborough and Scunthorpe he was earning way more than the UK average wage What is Ivan Toney's Salary Per Week? | Salary Sport has him earning more than £250k pa, no surprise as he was highly regarded when a Newcastle trainee - Newcastle thought they had better though (a huge mistake) which Barry Fy at Peterborough was able to seize on to take him there. So plenty of money and not poor at all.

So the bets were nothing to do with wealth, possibly just boredom of 'what to do after training finished'.
I don't think your point about his earning and possible addictive behaviour is at all relevant. This strange association between a soccer players earnings and any given issue is frankly deeply tabloid and unhelpful.

I can't know the level of this man's issues but we have contributors who have spoken very eloquently on the subject of gambling addiction and I'd invite them to comment as I think their opinions on the issue add a bit more value than 'bets got nothing to do with wealth'. Which incidently I fully agree with. Rich or poor over two hundred bets looks compulsive to me, not about too much money not enough money or I'm bored.

Back
Top Bottom