Another pissing game we won’t turn up to, have to suffer Emerson again and hope Kane or Deki save us - AKA Leeds at home, 3pm, 12th November.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pep's record in Europe is far better than Conte's, even if you take Barca out of the equation he's reached multiple semi finals & a final.

Conte has a win rate in the CL of like 30 odd percent. His teams have gone out at group stage level 3 times & he's never got past a quarter final.
He's had far bigger and better teams !
Bayern and City. It's a big failure he hasn't been able to win it with either. He should have definitely have won it with City by now and took over a great team from Heynckes won the treble including the CL.
Conte managed Inter , nowhere near the level of those two clubs , in a weaker Serie a. The Bundesliga in 2013 was very strong and the PL has been without doubt the strongest league in the last few years. Peps had the strongest teams in the best leagues with the biggest budgets.
Simply can't compare the teams that both have managed except for Chelsea and Conte wasn't there long.

Pep's record in Europe is far better than Conte's, even if you take Barca out of the equation he's reached multiple semi finals & a final.

Conte has a win rate in the CL of like 30 odd percent. His teams have gone out at group stage level 3 times & he's never got past a quarter final.
That's not success for those clubs , it's all or nothing for clubs like City and Bayern. They are always favourites or among the favourites. I don't think Inter or even Juve were.
Conte might have underperformed but I think Pep has as well.

That's not success for those clubs , it's all or nothing for clubs like City and Bayern. They are always favourites or among the favourites. I don't think Inter or even Juve were.

Inter, Juve & Chelsea were expected to do much, much better than fail to get out the groups or at best get to a quarter final.

Pep may have underachieved but Conte’s done worse, relatively speaking. His domestic record is stellar but in the CL he’s had a lot of disappointments.

A good coach could or would make them greater than the sum of their parts.
He’s done that tho. We were mid table and struggling in the conference league and he’s clearly made that side greater than the sum. There’s only so far you can go and you can expect him to take average players from 8th, to 4th and then to 1st. We need a new keeper, RWB and CB in Jan

It’s quite basic why we are so bad in first halves if you watch the players. They just don’t work hard enough compared to other teams. There is zero intensity or aggression. The players just jog about and make it easy for other teams to play against us. It is utterly bizarre because there is no way Conte would tell the players to do that. Why would he?

I just hope it changes post World Cup but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t and that some of the players have gone back to their old ways of not buying into the manager. Let’s wait and see but I wouldn’t be surprised.

It’s quite basic why we are so bad in first halves if you watch the players. They just don’t work hard enough compared to other teams. There is zero intensity or aggression. The players just jog about and make it easy for other teams to play against us. It is utterly bizarre because there is no way Conte would tell the players to do that. Why would he?

I just hope it changes post World Cup but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t and that some of the players have gone back to their old ways of not buying into the manager. Let’s wait and see but I wouldn’t be surprised.
i'm just not sure, Why would Conte not have the players ready to go from minute 1 ? surely after first couple of games starting slow he would have got into the players before the games start ? Unless it is designed to save the players for post WC
remember its only the top 7 that have had 2 matches every week so far this season,
one thing i would say is if Conte is not going to use the squad then sell the players he will not use and buy a few top players and run a reduced squad use it as match starters match finishers using the 5 sub's

He’s done that tho. We were mid table and struggling in the conference league and he’s clearly made that side greater than the sum. There’s only so far you can go and you can expect him to take average players from 8th, to 4th and then to 1st. We need a new keeper, RWB and CB in Jan
He's a magician.
He made deadwood bounce harder than a rubber ball for half a season. Wood doesn't even bounce!

Sadly it's not bouncing anymore.

He's a magician.
He made deadwood bounce harder than a rubber ball for half a season. Wood doesn't even bounce!

Sadly it's not bouncing anymore.
It is bouncing - it’s bouncing at the same height as second half of last season eg 4th. The upgrades needed are to lower cost areas, we don’t need attackers which cost a premium

There's a show idea in there!

Favourites for something is interesting, as it's different from expectation.
I think expectations at Juve are ALWAYS high... (including the seasons they were relegated, as the expectation was even higher that they come straight back up!)
Whether they are always favourites is up to interpretation...

They are, effectively the Man Utd of Italy, with an expectant fanbase, and a portrayal in their media as always one of the biggest clubs around.... they are ALWAYS expected to be favourites, and win every trophy they challenge for.... Man City remember have only come to the table more recently... and we all know why that is!

Which is SO weird, because the logic then is if they start slowly and go a goal (or 2, or 3 down) they then HAVE to bust a gut to pull it round!
(ironically, I thought we started alright for the first 10 minutes... THEN Leeds scored!

Surely if we start on the front foot, we have the quality to go into our OWN 2-3 goal leads and THEN ease off a bit (if need be) with the other team beaten... ?

Hate to say it, but why do you think the Arse seem to do it so regularly....? They (often) score 2 quickfire goals, many times early on, and knock the stuffing out if the oppo.

We all SAW what it did to Leeds when WE scored 2 quickfire goals yesterday.... it killed them, they broke, they imploded...
Just a shame it took til the 81st minute, 3 comebacks after going behind, and several fan meltdowns to do it!

Nobody mentioned 1st place mate, not sure where you are getting this from.
He is struggling to keep them in fourth, let's face it, we got lucky again yesterday should have lost.
And as for getting a keeper, CB and a RWB, is that really going to happen, I think not money will be used as an excuse again.
What happened to the 150m plus CL money and what the club earnt from TV last year, it's way beyond the that figure.
I'm afraid it will be the usual, cheap deals or take punts, putting us in a similar place to where we are.

Could not care less that he won that ridiculous 'trophy' .. the best team they beat to win it was fucking Leicester.

Man sits 7th & finished 6th last season, despite managing one of the top spending teams in Italy both seasons, bringing in the likes of Dybala. He's so finished at the top level, parading around 3rd rate European trophies is all he's got left.
We didn't get out of the group stage in the ridiculous trophy ... now it is Champions League last 16 and top 4 in the league. Anyone who is Conte out needs medical assistance.

We didn't get out of the group stage in the ridiculous trophy ... now it is Champions League last 16 and top 4 in the league. Anyone who is Conte out needs medical assistance.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoyed the game today. As far as I'm concerned, we came from behind three times and got the win. Yes, it was a roller coaster of a game, but I'd rather that than a boring 1-0 or losses like the last two games at home. We should appreciate the 'never say die' attitude that we showed. It doesn't really bother me that much to concede, as long as we score one more than the opposition.
I have run out of superlatives to describe Hot Rod, MOTM beyond doubt. I didn't think he was much of a goal scorer, but he's been a God-send for us this season. I love the way he sees a pass and executes it quite quickly. If we play with three midfielders, then I would be tempted to play him in an attacking position.
I've been trying to defend Emerson, thinking he was unfairly rated, but today I just couldn't find the words - poor beggar was awful. I did feel sorry for him though, as the biggest cheer of the the afternoon was when he was substituted. There's got to be some reason why he keeps getting picked, but the answer eludes me, I'm afraid.
Looking forward to Contecam, wonder how high will he jump when we scored the fourth?
The playing of the Last Post was very emotional and the minute's silence was impeccably observed.
My friend's little boy took his place on Chirpy's Parade at the beginning of the game and he looked really happy to take part.
It's strange to think that we haven't got any more games for a couple of months, will experience withdrawal symptoms. But I'm off on holiday next week, making the most of the winter break.
Anyway, I'm sleepy now, so good night all xx
Happy hols mrs P
Feel exactly the same about Emerson and he was absolutely shocking today - when he missed what was basically an open goal he fell to pieces -.thought he would have been hooked at HT - thought Doherty did well when he came on

Because that is a style of play, and a common one found in Italy.

Not all defending is like gegenpressing like madmen.

Happy hols mrs P
Feel exactly the same about Emerson and he was absolutely shocking today - when he missed what was basically an open goal he fell to pieces -.thought he would have been hooked at HT - thought Doherty did well when he came on

He shouldn't have started, every single measurable metric was against it. When it didn't work, as was blatantly predictable, he wasn't hooked early on.

That's not his fault though.

Back
Top Bottom