Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a fucking EL level group at best, might not be literal farmers but if we're anywhere near the level of side we think we are we should have topped it at a canter.

That's not arrogance, it's realism.
We should have done better and topped it more easily but its not the worst CL group of all time which is a ridiculous statement.

OK, so why was this goal given?

"Anthony Taylor made a correct decision based on the existing law and its official interpretation," said Roseti. The goal stood"

"France striker Mbappe was in an offside position but was played onside after Spain defender Eric Garcia made slight contact with the ball when he stretched to intercept Theo Hernandez's pass."

"The goal - which won France the Nations League - stood because Garcia's touch created a new phase of play with Fifa's rules stating "a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball... is not considered to have gained an advantage"

WHAT IS GOING ON???????????????
Stretching for the ball is considered deliberately playing the ball, they decided the defender blocking it was not

The defending player was deliberately and actively moving his body toward and in front of the ball in order to block it when the ball was struck. How does that not amount to a playing of the ball? He’s moving with intent to do so whether or not it’s hit his foot, or made a kicking motion. It’s not as though he were standing still and the ball glanced off him, that’d be understandable.

Not only to decide he hasn’t don’t anything but that it’s clear and obviously so is such a sham

I agree but Var is probably judging it from the instant it left Royal’s head so the defender would become irrelevant

At that moment Kane’s hand is fractionally offside but never clear or obvious

They changed the rule, so that the player has to be able to react and intentionally play it.

No one even noticed it deflected in real time.
you've made me feel slightly better.

if its offside its offside. I don't like the feeling of getting conned but if those are the rules then fair enough.

These bottle jobs have their excuse for getting thrashed by Marseille next week.

Losing despite being the better team is unfortunate; but not outside of the confines of the rules.

Being deprived of a perfectly good goal by bad officiating is a proverbial "robbery" that occurs outside of the confines of the rules.

One is sentimental; the other is literal.
If that call happened in the 5th minute of the game and then the rest ofbthe game went as it did and ended 1-1, not nearly as many would be blaming the officials for us not winning, they would rightly be directing their anger at the players for once again not showing up.

Stretching for the ball is considered deliberately playing the ball, they decided the defender blocking it was not
The player didn't have a realistic amount of time to react to that. I think the offsides is BS because it's bullshit microscopic arbitrary lines but there is no way that is a deliberate play.

I agree but Var is probably judging it from the instant it left Royal’s head so the defender would become irrelevant

At that moment Kane’s hand is fractionally offside but never clear or obvious
I think that’d also be more acceptable but as you say not at all clear and obvious to me

I’ve been saying it for years, they need to revamp the offside rule to if any part of the body is on side then it should be on side. Why the F is someone penalized for leaning or are we penalized for Harry’s kneecap being offside when his entire body is on side.
Forget the any part of the body crap.

Feet.

If both feet are onside then that's it.

Bloody knee. Or arm pit. Or bottom of sleeve. It's all crap designed to allow interpretation depending on how you wanna call it.

Plus it lets those stupid dotted lines play a part.

Just go with feet. Keep ur feet onside then ur fine.

Yep, even the way the line is drawn down from the ball, the left hand side of the line is not coming from the end of the ball. The right hand side of the ball on camera won't even be the furthest forward part of the ball because it is spherical. Do they account for that. If not how can they decide?
If the automated system is consistent, then I think most people would accept a small error rate. Issue is the semi bit of semi-automated - if VAR overrules, it should only be for an obvious machine error, or else will be accusations of bias/corruption etc.

I suspect you are right in this case that VAR was deciding if the deflection was a deliberate play. But 4 minutes is way too long.

If that call happened in the 5th minute of the game and then the rest ofbthe game went as it did and ended 1-1, not nearly as many would be blaming the officials for us not winning, they would rightly be directing their anger at the players for once again not showing up.
I'm not sure what your point is. The refs decided the outcome by overturning the original call with a nonconclusive one. This game was decided by that call. In the 5th minute, anything can happen after that.

No one's acting like the players were amazing.

Easy for you to say….

It would only be not offside if the defender has deliberately played the ball in that area.If its a deflection/block that makes the ball randomly go towards kane, then its offside.
Not being funny but this decision is mad, with momentum, not even clear that he headed the ball forward. AND Kane is clearly behind the player he's allegedly in front of. Laws need review after this if the decision was correct .

you've made me feel slightly better.

if its offside its offside. I don't like the feeling of getting conned but if those are the rules then fair enough.

These bottle jobs have their excuse for getting thrashed by Marseille next week.
When they took the VAR pic is suspect, a few frames makes kane offside. (var is shit)

If the automated system is consistent, then I think most people would accept a small error rate. Issue is the semi bit of semi-automated - if VAR overrules, it should only be for an obvious machine error, or else will be accusations of bias/corruption etc.

I suspect you are right in this case that VAR was deciding if the deflection was a deliberate play. But 4 minutes is way too long.
Surely they should be able to calculate the margin of error of the system and any decision within that limit stays with the infield decision. That's what I dont understand

Not being funny but this decision is mad, with momentum, not even clear that he headed the ball forward. AND Kane is clearly behind the player he's allegedly in front of. Laws need review after this if the decision was correct .
Kane needs to be behind the ball not player (I think he was behind the ball).

Neither of these are laws. It was amazing because Carragher made the same points and none of those have been rules.

A player can be offsides on a backwards pass if he is ahead of the ball when the pass is played. It doesnt matter at all where the passing player is, only where the ball is.

Back
Top Bottom