Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The defending player was deliberately and actively moving his body toward and in front of the ball in order to block it when the ball was struck. How does that not amount to a playing of the ball? He’s moving with intent to do so whether or not it’s hit his foot, or made a kicking motion. It’s not as though he were standing still and the ball glanced off him, that’d be understandable.

Not only to decide he hasn’t don’t anything but that it’s clear and obviously so is such a sham

oh you know what
I'll get a white coffin!
the times - also with xhamster - are over.
If I annoyed you with my writing, then I'm very sorry.

will not happen again!

how do you know xhamster
Relax mate it was a joke. Absolutely no offence was meant. Nothing you wrote annoyed me or I doubt annoyed anyone else either.

A few years ago we would have battered this entire group. A few years ago we would have put this mediocre side to the sword.

Here's the rule according to the laws of the game

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. "

The first goal in this game (1:10) is an example of where a goal was overturned because of this, he plays it just as deliberately as the defender tonight, who lifts his knee up slightly and is clearly trying to block the header.

They changed the rule, so that the player has to be able to react and intentionally play it.

No one even noticed it deflected in real time.

Group B isn't worse than ours...

Everyone was laughing their socks off at this draw, as in us, Spurs fans, making jokes about Yaya Toure fixing it for us...
I said this the day of the draw:

Obviously not a glamour group but to me this one stinks of the group that will have all 4 clubs in with a chance of advancing to R16 on the final matchday.
It's only a matter of opinions but I don't see how Group B is better on the whole than the one we're in. Atletico are the only "glamour" club in there and they play more defensive than we do.

The defending player was deliberately and actively moving his body toward and in front of the ball in order to block it when the ball was struck. How does that not amount to a playing of the ball? He’s moving with intent to do so whether or not it’s hit his foot, or made a kicking motion. It’s not as though he were standing still and the ball glanced off him, that’d be understandable.

Not only to decide he hasn’t don’t anything but that it’s clear and obviously so is such a sham
That's not the rule. He has to be making a deliberate play of the ball. Blocks/deflections don't count.

We weren't robbed, if the goal had stood the Sporting players would be more justified in feeling robbed, not because of the decision, because of the performance over 96 minutes.

Losing despite being the better team is unfortunate; but not outside of the confines of the rules.

Being deprived of a perfectly good goal by bad officiating is a proverbial "robbery" that occurs outside of the confines of the rules.

One is sentimental; the other is literal.

We used up our lifetime of VAR luck with that disallowed Sterling goal in 2019.

I still remember watching Pep’s face

Classic

Even better when Andy Goldstein posted Cunty’s reaction on Talkshite shouting “look at his little face” as we know his head is far too large for his body

Priceless

Mate, Sporting Lisbon, Eintracht Frankfurt and Marseille are hardly fucking Farmers!
Look in the history books!
it's that kinda arrogance and disregarding of anyone YOU haven't heard of that makes us sounds like cunts!

They might not be the best in Europe, but I hate this fucking 'Farmers' reference....
It's so tired, and dripping in arrogance as to be quite nauseating!
It's a fucking EL level group at best, might not be literal farmers but if we're anywhere near the level of side we think we are we should have topped it at a canter.

That's not arrogance, it's realism.

OK, so why was this goal given?

"Anthony Taylor made a correct decision based on the existing law and its official interpretation," said Roseti. The goal stood"

"France striker Mbappe was in an offside position but was played onside after Spain defender Eric Garcia made slight contact with the ball when he stretched to intercept Theo Hernandez's pass."

"The goal - which won France the Nations League - stood because Garcia's touch created a new phase of play with Fifa's rules stating "a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball... is not considered to have gained an advantage"

WHAT IS GOING ON???????????????

I’ve been saying it for years, they need to revamp the offside rule to if any part of the body is on side then it should be on side. Why the F is someone penalized for leaning or are we penalized for Harry’s kneecap being offside when his entire body is on side.

Group B isn't worse than ours...

Everyone was laughing their socks off at this draw, as in us, Spurs fans, making jokes about Yaya Toure fixing it for us...
We got the toughest pot 4 team and a decent pot 3 side. Only notable thing is we got the weakest pot 1 team.

The 3rd place team in Belgium lost 0-4 at home today and is still leading that group.

Per club elo rankings, Group B is way behind Group D.

Back
Top Bottom