Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't even need to look to know it's any of about 5 repeat offenders.

Our window has been solid. It hasn't been spectacular. The squad is deeper which is good.
The fact we have Conte probably elevates the signings considerably over what they would be for a Nono type coach.

When the news broke about the mythical £150m kitty though, the ENIC bots were making out as if everyone who doubted ENIC was and still is wrong.
And yet we spent half the window haggling over £12m for Spence. Seem to be identifying cheaper alternatives to the likes of Maddison etc.

The current net spend is what £50m or so?
It's better than some windows, but it's not an all out "go get em" window.

Just to clarify - I'm ok with that. We did it with GLC and TND and now we're stuck with the fuckers.
Conte today has said he wants to build the squad with common sense "the only way I know how"
He's right.
I just think, and I thought months ago, let's wait and see how this all pans out before anyone get's to say they told anyone so.
If only we had spent 50m on getting Curcurella instead of a world class ‘free’ Perisic, you could have been happy at our net spend.

The OWNERS, mate. Not the CLUB

*these stepford supporters really need to start distinguishing between the two*

Anyhow, that aside, 1 Carling Cup in over 2 decades, and 0 trophies in 15 years, for a club of our size and wealth surely indicates I have a very valid point.

The stats don't lie, my friend, whichever way you want to spin them

Edit: Big thanks to todd1882 todd1882 for enlightening me to the term "Stepford fan / supporter"
I think I'll be using it quite a lot in the future
I haven't spun a thing. You really need to stop making up statements on other people, it totally undermines anything relevant you might have to say. Once you have the reputation as a liar, everything else you say, no matter how pertinent it might be, just gets dumped in the "yet another lie" bin.

Anyway, on to the rest of your post (I'll ignore the stepford rubbish, as it clearly doesn't apply to me, my posting history is evidence enough for that).

Once again you harp back to what has gone on in the past. That is irrelevant to the present. You demanded a better manager, you got him. You've demanded that the manager be backed to his satisfaction, you got it, regardless of your spurious "Conte is just toeing the company line" tosh when he's publicly stated that he's happy with our business.

I had to chuckle when you came out with that chestnut, Conte telling the World he's happy because Levy told him to...

Watch those splinters under your fingernails scraping that barrel.

There is no doubt that the club has failed to address golden opportunities to press on in the past. However, this does not appear to be the case here. We've bucked the trend by doing our business extremely early, addressing areas of weakness as well as investing in young talent for the near future, all to the approval of the manager. With a month still to go in the window we are in the enviable position of having what we immediately identified, then having the luxury of picking up any players that come available, should Conte want them.

All of the above is a complete about turn to the previous years you constantly harp on about, further weakening your "last decades" mewlings.

Now this window may turn out to be the exception rather than the rule going forward. Much as I've stated when others are banging on about the window being an 8/10 or a 6/10, you can only rate the window after the fact, when those bought players start performing, or not as the case may be. The same applies to the upper management. They may have turned a corner or they may not have, but the initial evidence is positive, no matter how YOU try to spin a negative out of it.

What is clearly evident is that your entire modus operandi is to trigger other fans on here. Essentially you're trolling for shits and giggles.

At this point in time, I don't care what has happened over the past decade or two, it's history. What is important is the now. The club is currently working towards making us a contender, that much is evident, and only the most entitled expect all of that to be done in a single window. Conte said himself, just today, that we are building towards challenging. If one of the most elite managers in World Football is happy with what we've done so far then how ridiculous do you have to be to gainsay that?

And by the way, this has all been spearheaded by Levy. He appointed Conte, he appointed Paratici, he set the infrastructure up to allow this to happen.

I'm fully aware that this will fall on deaf ears, as you'll cling to you "last 2 decades angst" like a junkie to a crack pipe, but I enjoy writing so hey ho.

Instead of people complaining about the moaning, how about you don’t complain about the moaning?

Classic Reaction GIF

So you're complaining about complaining about complaining :sonpoint:

From Gazzetta dello Sport

Zaniolo

Pressing Tottenham The impression is that Roma, faced with an offer of fifty million, would not oppose the sale, but just as happened with Juventus (which in any case has not yet lost sight of Nicolò) we need to see how to reach the right evaluation. . The English club would also like to include a player in the negotiation, between the defender Tanganga, the midfielder Ndom-belé, the winger Reguilon and the attacking midfielder Lo Celso, but if the first two as characteristics could be useful to the Giallorossi, Ndombelé above all, if Pinto managed to sell all the redundant midfielders (starting with Veretout, near Marseille), the high salaries they receive and Roma's willingness to monetize, force everyone to deal with more meticulousness. At this point, rumors of imminent meetings between the parties thicken, starting as early as next week. Zaniolo would become a priority for Roma, under penalty of devaluation of the player's card. In any case, the attacker does not seem to suffer at all from having come out of the cone of light of protagonism at all costs. Mediatically, in fact, it is Dybala who has taken the stage from everyone, as well as Abraham - "the two kings" as the English striker said - but Nicolò is ready to take advantage of every opportunity to return to the stage. If not in Rome, maybe it will be London's turn.
Summit with Spurs One thing is certain, however: negotiations will take place on two separate floors. One will be linked to the sale of the yellow-red striker, the other could concern any loans with the right (not obligatory) to redeem any redundancies of Tottenham. In London, on the other hand, they think that someone like Niccolò, both as an attacker and as a midfielder, can make the difference and so they want to accelerate. If, on the other hand, the two companies fail to find an agreement, it is clear that from September the renewal Zaniolo would become a priority for Roma, under penalty of devaluation of the player's card. In any case, the attacker does not seem to suffer at all from having come out of the cone of light of protagonism at all costs. Mediatically, in fact, it was Dybala who took the stage from everyone, as did Abraham - "the two kings" as the English striker said - but Nicolò is ready to take advantage of every opportunity to return to the stage. If not in Rome, maybe it will be London's turn.

I just think unless:

- Someone was available on a free (Pirlo for Juve)
- He already had someone available prior to joining us (Fabregas at Chelsea)
- Someone was available at a bargain price as an option (Eriksen at Inter Milan)

It's just not something Conte necessarily needs to succeed. You only have to look at the profile of the signings that Conte's championship winning teams have made to see that we're not venturing off a usual Conte course. Hard working, solid and experienced.

Would I like to have that creative option in central midfield? Absolutely. But I am not going to be disappointed if we don't get one. There aren't many out there who would not only be willing to sit on the bench for large parts of the season, but also be good enough for Spurs and also wanted by Conte for a reasonable fee.

I think it's reasonable to have worries over our right side. Emerson has shown to be relatively solid defensively but lacks what we require from a Conte system. Doherty actually showed promise before his injury, he was getting goals and assists as well as creating chances. Not a flashy name and has been disappointing for most of his time here but if he could have a Victor Moses, Ashley Young, Matteo Darmian type output for us than I'll take it. I am personally hoping that Spence has the desire and hunger to make that spot his own when given the chance.
My main worry (although that’s probably overstating it, more ‘early concern’) is that we haven’t really seen any signs of exciting wide play.

Sess is an eternal disappointment and Reggy is a bit of a pea brain. You’re right about Doherty and he’s shown signs of real improvement. Spence, who knows, but I don’t get the impression he’s going to make an immediate impact. Hope to be proved wrong. Peresic will help.

I’m not melting and it’s not about spending money for the sake of it. I just think we’re one dimensional and easy to setup against. Our glamour scores have been when sides are stupid enough to play a high line and Kane and Son pull the strings.

Anyway, let’s see how the weekend goes.

Don't even need to look to know it's any of about 5 repeat offenders.

Our window has been solid. It hasn't been spectacular. The squad is deeper which is good.
The fact we have Conte probably elevates the signings considerably over what they would be for a Nono type coach.

When the news broke about the mythical £150m kitty though, the ENIC bots were making out as if everyone who doubted ENIC was and still is wrong.
And yet we spent half the window haggling over £12m for Spence. Seem to be identifying cheaper alternatives to the likes of Maddison etc.

The current net spend is what £50m or so?
It's better than some windows, but it's not an all out "go get em" window.

Just to clarify - I'm ok with that. We did it with GLC and TND and now we're stuck with the fuckers.
Conte today has said he wants to build the squad with common sense "the only way I know how"
He's right.
I just think, and I thought months ago, let's wait and see how this all pans out before anyone get's to say they told anyone so.
Now this post I can get on board with, though the constant sniping about Enic bots etc (that goes towards both sides of the fence btw) is rather tiresome.

It's the "building the squad sensibly" that is pertinent here. Making the right acquisitions, to fulfil a squad requirement, for a sensible price rather than blowing the wad for the "marquee signing" that so many on here seem to think is what will make us an elite club.

Winning games, winning trophies is what makes a club elite, and I think that is what we are seeing the start of. Being a " financial powerhouse," which is the latest stick used to beat the club by some, doesn't mean you spunk the lot on the latest big name on every Veruka Salt's wishlist.

Get the right players, with the right skillsets and right mentality, not with the biggest price tag.

THEN we wait and see how the manager moulds them into a winning unit.

I feel sorry for the chavs....I think they're in for a bad time with this guy....I'd prefer them to be a challenger because it makes the games more interesting for us. And everyone else.
Quite fed up with city/pool and then everybody else. Leveling up the PL a little would make for a more interesting season. Better football and better entertainment.
You feel sorry for the Chavs???

10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's for you Sunshine...

And don't you EVER let me see you posting that kind of blasphemy on here again!

Now this post I can get on board with, though the constant sniping about Enic bots etc (that goes towards both sides of the fence btw) is rather tiresome.

It's the "building the squad sensibly" that is pertinent here. Making the right acquisitions, to fulfil a squad requirement, for a sensible price rather than blowing the wad for the "marquee signing" that so many on here seem to think is what will make us an elite club.

Winning games, winning trophies is what makes a club elite, and I think that is what we are seeing the start of. Being a " financial powerhouse," which is the latest stick used to beat the club by some, doesn't mean you spunk the lot on the latest big name on every Veruka Salt's wishlist.

Get the right players, with the right skillsets and right mentality, not with the biggest price tag.

THEN we wait and see how the manager moulds them into a winning unit.
There are a few members here who would support ENIC if they released the entire squad on free transfers and signed up a pub team.

Yeah, 2 or 3 seasons ago but now, when the number is going to get close to 80M, not really sure anyone is worth that. And I say that as someone that has appreciated that player for some time.
80m for Fofana is taking the piss. Kounde, who cost Barca c50m, is better, more experienced, and isn't recovering from a serious injury.

People talk of a "united premium" when clubs add an extra 10m because it's yanited.

I think we can start talking of a "chav premium".

Guardiola & Shitty offered c30m for Cucurella. Boehly is coughing up north of £50m and a top young player (Colwell) for the hairiest and shortest LCB in the PL.

And that applies even if Cucurella spends most of his time at LWB....

Watching highlights on Sky of last season. Showed Wolves beating Man Uniter 1 nil away.

The goal came because Traore battered the United fullback, got in behind put a decent cross in that Jones partially cleared. Moutinho did the rest.

Literally no mention whatsoever of Traore's involvement. Simply put, but for him, they wouldn't have scored. But he's not even credited with an assist. The write up doesn't even mention that he was involved.

The moral here is STOP USING STATS. They're meaningless so often.

I wouldn't base too much off of pre-season.

Erik Lamela used to tear up every pre-season and I remember David Bentley having the pre-season of all pre-seasons for us too.

What we can do is base Bissouma on what we've seen in the Premier League and if he can show for us what he showed for Brighton, we've got ourselves one of the best defensive midfielders in the league that exhibits great positioning, a press-resistant ability that we'd come to love from a certain Dembele and someone who can break lines with a pass accurately and quickly.

Spence will get a chance. It might not come until perhaps one of the cup games, but he'll get his chance. If he is good enough and can offer something that Conte likes and wants from a full back, then he will break into that RWB spot and make it his own.

If he doesn't? Then we have to hope Matt Doherty can consistently show his pre-injury form. Let's not forget that just before his injury he got 2 goals and 3 assists in his previous 7 games (which is when he broke back into the starting eleven)

In fact, Doherty played a total of 872 minutes last season. That's just under 10 league starts. And he had a hand in 6 goals (2 goals, 4 assists). If we can put up numbers like that all season, whilst being pushed by Spence, then we will be in a good way until at least next summer where we may then look again to bring in an upgrade like I'd expect at centre back too.
Two points -

1) my view of Bissouma at BHA was inconsistency. Excellent at times, dynamic and great on ball but quiet games too. Loads of potential tho

2) Doc. We don’t need goals and assists, we have plenty of that…. We need skilful, confident dynamic players to feed the front 3 IMO. He played well at times but I want someone to stretch the pitch, be a decoy and always take the ball

Watching highlights on Sky of last season. Showed Wolves beating Man Uniter 1 nil away.

The goal came because Traore battered the United fullback, got in behind put a decent cross in that Jones partially cleared. Moutinho did the rest.

Literally no mention whatsoever of Traore's involvement. Simply put, but for him, they wouldn't have scored. But he's not even credited with an assist. The write up doesn't even mention that he was involved.

The moral here is STOP USING STATS. They're meaningless so often.
Not meaningless but definitely secondary to the eye test.

Assists were created by foam finger waving baseball and NFL fans, quaffing hot dogs and speaking too loudly rather than understanding the game

80m for Fofana is taking the piss. Kounde, who cost Barca c50m, is better, more experienced, and isn't recovering from a serious injury.

People talk of a "united premium" when clubs add an extra 10m because it's yanited.

I think we can start talking of a "chav premium".

Guardiola & Shitty offered c30m for Cucurella. Boehly is coughing up north of £50m and a top young player (Colwell) for the hairiest and shortest LCB in the PL.

And that applies even if Cucurella spends most of his time at LWB....
Cucurella is a superb player. Watched them vs Reading last week and he played at 75% and was a joy to watch. Perhaps they move Chilwell to CM

Cucurella is a superb player. Watched them vs Reading last week and he played at 75% and was a joy to watch. Perhaps they move Chilwell to CM
Yes, Cucurella is a good player.

But my point above was that the chavs are paying prices other clubs won't. We know Guardiola wanted Cucurella and he fits an obvious need for Shitty. But they wouldn't match Brighton's demands for £50m plus a top young player.

Just as no one but Boehly is going to pay 80m for Fofana.

Back
Top Bottom