Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is a "shame" is the way you constantly disingenuously, abuse, miss-represent and weaponise our history against us..... Your agenda holds our current ownership responsible for the 10/15 years of poor business management before they arrived and obstinately ignores the colossal damage two sports-washing oil states has done to the historic pecking order of the English game.

It's bullshit.

Hoddle was sold.
Clive Allen was sold.
Waddle was sold.
Gazza was sold.
Linekar was sold.
Sheringham was sold.
Klinsman was sold.
etc. etc.

Levy is satan for selling players that force their way out though.

@JohnThomas has always twisted the facts mate.

That's why he was once know as John 'not one brick' Thomas as he said year in, year out that Spurs would never build a stadium with Levy/ENIC as owners.

With that lack of judgement on a massive scale, not sure why anyone believes a thing he says when someone's proved so badly wrong.

Oh ..... there's a hologram of a big shiny stadium in Tottenham....... it must be a hologram as John Thomas said it would never be built.

I get what you are saying. I think I did not phrase it well enough.

But my point was - 150 mil was made available. I mean objective fact is - 150 mil was moved to the club. And if we sell players for transfer fees - those amounts also flow to the club. This is pretty straightforward until this point. Now what this amount is specifically planned for - about that we do not know and I agree with that part.

The other significant point is it was never said it had to be spent in one window.

Most fans knew the squad couldn't be fixed in one window, so needs two or more - for example next summer we are likely to need to fund :
- Kulusevski (loan to permanent)
- Lenglet (buy or send him back on loan to buy a top CB)
- Lloris replacement (he's not getting younger)
- Upgrade 33 year old Moura
- etc

And that assumes we get a good CB and AM in this window, so if not add those on to the list.

So probably 4 - 6 (or more) first team quality players in - and that costs money so whatever we don't spend this window from the £150m will be available on top of a usual budget

So are Everton. A lot of good it did them. Of those 5 clubs, we’ve been 3rd best for the last several years and even competed with United at times. Liverpool clearly is #1 but we finished above them several times under poch. Chelsea and City have passed us due to excessive spending with blood money. Not much we can do about that with the limited impact of FFP.
All fair points. But my point still stands that we're not some little club miraculously tasting the big time and dining at the top table for the first time ever as some would have you believe.

It's testament to our proud history and fantastic loyal fan base that we're back we're belong. Not the long time austerity of the owners.

I don't know why anyone is losing their shit, I'd we want creativity in the centre of midfield then we'll just keep Winks, if we sell him then clearly Conte doesn't care for flair in that position...

S'all good...

:contethumb:

@JohnThomas has always twisted the facts mate.

That's why he was once know as John 'not one brick' Thomas as he said year in, year out that Spurs would never build a stadium with Levy/ENIC as owners.

With that lack of judgement on a massive scale, not sure why anyone believes a thing he says when someone's proved so badly wrong.

Oh ..... there's a hologram of a big shiny stadium in Tottenham....... it must be a hologram as John Thomas said it would never be built.

Like everyone, John occasionally gets things wrong 🤷‍♀️

Instead of people complaining about the moaning, how about you don’t complain about the moaning?

Classic Reaction GIF

Levy is satan for selling players that force their way out ththough
Your words. Not mine.

The point I always tried to make was simply that for a club of our stature it's only right to question the reason why our best players felt they had to leave to achieve their ambition...

The only thing I'm guilty of is wanting to see the best players play for my football team, and expecting my football team to win things more often than they do.

I honestly, hand on heart believe our owners could and should have contributed more towards those aims over the last 20 odd years than they have.

You obviously think otherwise. So be it.

Last edited:
It actually looked at times during the Rangers friendly (I could mixed up my friendlies) that he was playing a bit more centrally at times.

Ultimately, bring in an attacking midfielder for huge money doesn't magically fix a "struggle to break teams down" problem. There have been plenty of teams that have sat back and played a low block against us and we've blown them away. Unfortunately, there have been games against low block teams that we have had trouble with but that's not a 'creative' problem. That's an intensity problem where we've gone into the games and played slow football which then transitions into narrow football where our wing backs either move inwards or fail to use the width effectively to stretch the game.

For years, I've heard that we struggle to break teams down, even during days when we had Christian Eriksen in our team. One of the most creative midfielders of the last 10 years. So that clearly isn't the remedy.

Liverpool dominated games and teams without a single designated 'creative' midfielder. Usually playing one of Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Milner, Henderson or Keita in midfield. But they played with an intensity that was unmatched. They would move the ball quickly, they would spread the play and had wing backs that would create. Not to mention they also had Salah and Mane be ruthless when given chances.

I'd argue that we don't a 'creative' problem when it comes to low block teams, we have had an intensity issue. But that comes through coaching and personnel. Perisic and most certainly Bissouma are two excellent signings in that regard because Bissouma moves the ball quickly and incisively and Perisic provides width and an aggression out wide.
Agree re: Perisic, didn’t see that from Bissouma in pre season - he needs to drive consistently. Still have an issue at RWB, need to phase out dumb and dumber quickly with Spence, Sess or even Kulu (at times of we are impotent on 60 mins)

What is a "shame" is the way you constantly disingenuously, abuse, miss-represent and weaponise our history against us..... Your agenda holds our current ownership responsible for the 10/15 years of poor business management before they arrived and obstinately ignores the colossal damage two sports-washing oil states has done to the historic pecking order of the English game.
Oh my god, make it stop. Just make the bot stop! How do we shut it up?!

Dying Family Feud GIF by Steve Harvey

Last edited:
Chelsea's new owners are really showing up ENIC.

Fofana should have been a player we should have gone for.
Yeah, 2 or 3 seasons ago but now, when the number is going to get close to 80M, not really sure anyone is worth that. And I say that as someone that has appreciated that player for some time.

The other significant point is it was never said it had to be spent in one window.

Most fans knew the squad couldn't be fixed in one window, so needs two or more - for example next summer we are likely to need to fund :
- Kulusevski (loan to permanent)
- Lenglet (buy or send him back on loan to buy a top CB)
- Lloris replacement (he's not getting younger)
- Upgrade 33 year old Moura
- etc

And that assumes we get a good CB and AM in this window, so if not add those on to the list.

So probably 4 - 6 (or more) first team quality players in - and that costs money so whatever we don't spend this window from the £150m will be available on top of a usual budget

Agree with most what you are saying...

But Mouras age does not even start with "3" yet, not to mention ending with it :D .

And I also mentioned that this 150 mil net spend will not be done within one window. Just most likely more than 1/5 with this window still..

Agree re: Perisic, didn’t see that from Bissouma in pre season - he needs to drive consistently. Still have an issue at RWB, need to phase out dumb and dumber quickly with Spence, Sess or even Kulu (at times of we are impotent on 60 mins)

I wouldn't base too much off of pre-season.

Erik Lamela used to tear up every pre-season and I remember David Bentley having the pre-season of all pre-seasons for us too.

What we can do is base Bissouma on what we've seen in the Premier League and if he can show for us what he showed for Brighton, we've got ourselves one of the best defensive midfielders in the league that exhibits great positioning, a press-resistant ability that we'd come to love from a certain Dembele and someone who can break lines with a pass accurately and quickly.

Spence will get a chance. It might not come until perhaps one of the cup games, but he'll get his chance. If he is good enough and can offer something that Conte likes and wants from a full back, then he will break into that RWB spot and make it his own.

If he doesn't? Then we have to hope Matt Doherty can consistently show his pre-injury form. Let's not forget that just before his injury he got 2 goals and 3 assists in his previous 7 games (which is when he broke back into the starting eleven)

In fact, Doherty played a total of 872 minutes last season. That's just under 10 league starts. And he had a hand in 6 goals (2 goals, 4 assists). If we can put up numbers like that all season, whilst being pushed by Spence, then we will be in a good way until at least next summer where we may then look again to bring in an upgrade like I'd expect at centre back too.

Back
Top Bottom