Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Recently our most succesful signings have been cheaper ones because of abysmal scouting and lack of due diliegence. Its not been the case throughout the rest of our history. We broke the transfer record for Greaves and Gascoigne. Spent big money at the time on Mackay, Archibald, Waddle, Sheringham, Modric and Son etc so totally disagree on most succesful ever signings being cheaper.

You not think the economic state of the football landscape has completely changed in the 30 years since these even the most recent of the highlighted players?

Modric was big money by our standards at the time....... Not sure it's fair to claim Sonny was; though nor am I'm suggesting 22m was joke money in a pre-Neymar/PSG 2015.

For many years that 10-20m proved the sweet spot..... Berba, Dembele, LLoris, Toby, Jan, Son, Eriksen, Modric.... But post Neymar/PSG the money situ is utterly screwed.

...But yeh, the "ever" comment was a bit extreme.

Last edited:
Agree with this

It actually looked at times during the Rangers friendly (I could mixed up my friendlies) that he was playing a bit more centrally at times.

Ultimately, bring in an attacking midfielder for huge money doesn't magically fix a "struggle to break teams down" problem. There have been plenty of teams that have sat back and played a low block against us and we've blown them away. Unfortunately, there have been games against low block teams that we have had trouble with but that's not a 'creative' problem. That's an intensity problem where we've gone into the games and played slow football which then transitions into narrow football where our wing backs either move inwards or fail to use the width effectively to stretch the game.

For years, I've heard that we struggle to break teams down, even during days when we had Christian Eriksen in our team. One of the most creative midfielders of the last 10 years. So that clearly isn't the remedy.

Liverpool dominated games and teams without a single designated 'creative' midfielder. Usually playing one of Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Milner, Henderson or Keita in midfield. But they played with an intensity that was unmatched. They would move the ball quickly, they would spread the play and had wing backs that would create. Not to mention they also had Salah and Mane be ruthless when given chances.

I'd argue that we don't a 'creative' problem when it comes to low block teams, we have had an intensity issue. But that comes through coaching and personnel. Perisic and most certainly Bissouma are two excellent signings in that regard because Bissouma moves the ball quickly and incisively and Perisic provides width and an aggression out wide.

Bergwijn wanted to leave and i dont think Conte rated him. We 100% need someone because injuries and suspensions will come thick and fast. We coped last season because Son and Kane stayed fit and from February we had one game a week. Champions league and world cup and 4 good forward players and Moura isnt enough. Given we seem to be after Zaniolo thankfully they seem to agree.

I wasn't advocating keeping Bergwijn just making a point that a 5th attacker isn't needed when you have players like Perisic who are versatlie and can play as a winger if needed.

You can make the case for every team by the way, there's always a missing piece when someone gets injured but you're speaking as if that's a given...so when that doesn't happen how you gonna keep all these players happy? Investing money in a player who is happy to play 5-10 matches per season isn't as easy as you make it sound.

We literally have 6 attackers now not 5 and I thought that Zaniolo is being brought in to play as an attacking mid.

Edit - The Bergwijn example surely tells you that having another attacker is going to make it difficult to keep them happy.

Last edited:
Teddy, Berba and Carrick went Kane didn't?

Laughable.... Week after week, window after window; the melts spent Poch's entire tenure whimpering how "Levy's gonna sell Kane from under Poch", "Levy's gonna sell Dele against Poch's will", "Levy's gonna sell Eriksen", "Levy's gonna sell Son"... Hell even they made out Poch was gonna be let go in favour of compensation...... Yet none of it happened. In the entire 5/6 years, the only player we lost against our will was Walker.

Last edited:
I wasn't advocating keeping Bergwijn just making a point that a 5th attacker isn't needed when you have players like Perisic who are versatlie and can play as a winger if needed.

You can make the case for every team by the way, there's always a missing piece when someone gets injured but you're speaking as if that's a given...so when that doesn't happen how you gonna keep all these players happy? Investing money in a player who is happy to play 5-10 matches per season isn't as easy as you make it sound.

We literally have 6 attackers now not 5 and I thought that Zaniolo is being brought in to play as an attacking mid.
5 attackers isnt it, Kane, Son, Kulu, Richarlison and Moura. Unless you're counting Gil who will probably be off. With no attacking midfielders. Not saying we need a centre forward or even a wing forward, just another attacking, creative player. I'd be fine with an AM, in fact preferable imo as its a different option.

5 attackers isnt it, Kane, Son, Kulu, Richarlison and Moura. Unless you're counting Gil who will probably be off. With no attacking midfielders. Not saying we need a centre forward or even a wing forward, just another attacking, creative player. I'd be fine with an AM, in fact preferable imo as its a different option.

Like I said Perisic, he's a winger by trade and can play two positions.

They were some dodgy quotes tbh. Sure it may be innocent, but

For now, it's as a big a deal as one wants to make it........

All he said was that he was a "club signing"..... Ali G (should one choose to grant him any credibility) explained that in this context "the club" was Fab & Conte and that Conte had given the move the green light.

Who knows he might just be playing mind-games with Spence.

personally I thought it sounded like 'if it goes well great, but if not .. this isn't on me' to be honest.

Even if that it is his intended sentiment, at 12m, it's not really a big deal is it...... ?

Be a bit different if he didn't want Richarlison, Bissouma or whoever..... Or if we bought Spence instead of someone else he had in mind for RWB that was realistically get-able.

Perhaps, at a push but its hardly ideal is it. With 5 subs its nice to have some potential game changers, not pushing your left wing back a bit further up the pitch and bringing on Sess.

TBF, Perisic has only been a LM / RM or WB for 99 of his 550 pro games; just happens to be damn good at it.

Last edited:
Here's a player to have in your team

Nottingham Forest are interested in 24-year-old Dutch striker Jizz Hornkamp

He's going to take some stick.....

Welcome to the party, Mr Cooper

facepalm-really.gif

The OWNERS, mate. Not the CLUB

*these stepford supporters really need to start distinguishing between the two*

Anyhow, that aside, 1 Carling Cup in over 2 decades, and 0 trophies in 15 years, for a club of our size and wealth surely indicates I have a very valid point.

The stats don't lie, my friend, whichever way you want to spin them

Edit: Big thanks to todd1882 todd1882 for enlightening me to the term "Stepford fan / supporter"
I think I'll be using it quite a lot in the future

The problem that you constantly ignore is that you literally only look at Spurs in isolation and forget the fact that in that period Chelsea and City were bought by effectively nation states and changed the landscape forever.

it doesn't suit your pathetic one eyed narrative, but it's true. I'm sure Leeds, Villa and Everton all feel they should have won more too. we've not done well enough maybe and it's a shame we couldn't win a few more finals/semi finals we've been in over the last 20 years but the mad thing is, we've probably been good enough, just unlucky, but you put it single handedly down to the owner. your myopic dogmatic tedious viewpoint is so tiresome.

Last edited:
Bergwijn wanted to leave and i dont think Conte rated him. We 100% need someone because injuries and suspensions will come thick and fast. We coped last season because Son and Kane stayed fit and from February we had one game a week. Champions league and world cup and 4 good forward players and Moura isnt enough. Given we seem to be after Zaniolo thankfully they seem to agree.

As stands Son Kane, Kulu w/ Rich, Lucas, Gil + Perisic is more than decent in the cover stakes.

TBF, one more in and we'll be absolutely brimming!

Back
Top Bottom