Wolves (A) 2pm - The Nuno derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Suddenly our defenders all look like the worst in the league.
Suddenly???

Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

If you think Traore does nothing, I’m not sure what sport you are watching. He moved our defensive shape all over the place and created about 20 chances.
Traore is quite possibly one of the worst players in the league. Best fitness for sure. But absolutely shit player. Can’t pass, can’t shoot, can’t even run with his head up. He’s literally a headless chicken.

A lot of dimwits with little football knowledge will disagree with you.

We simply rode our luck and were very fortunate Wolves couldn't create more clear cut chances with their domination.

Its fine I understand for some it can only be comments about us being the super awesomest bestest ever. no room for constructive criticism at all.

I thought Sanchez and Dier both did really well today. Mistakes are inevitable, especially if we basically cede possession for an entire half and let them attack at will..

Sanchez, in particular, is no fool. Couple of moments where he could have lunged in but recognised the danger.

I really do not enjoy this style of football, but it’s not their fault, and they did what was required today.

Sort of odd how none of those who have spent months on end really hating on Eric Dier aren't men enough to acknowledge how good he was today (and last week too).
Coupla things BM. First, Eric Dier has been shite for years upon years. With so many data points of evidence is it really fair to expect folks to run screaming about his 1 or 2 'not bad' performances? Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is a trend - we're not even 3 games in. He still made a horrible error in the 2nd half from which were weren't punished but would have expected to be.

Let him play 'well' all year and then question those that haven't acknowledged it. It would be fair then.

Did he do anything that led to a goal? Look at his stats last season. 2 goals 2 assists in 37 appearances last season. Literally is less productive than Lucas.
Too right. Game of opinions and all that but i have no idea how anyone can look at our squad or todays performance and think we need a winger who is all pace with not much ability who has no end product. It's literally the last thing we need. We need footballers with playmaking ability and goals.

When Dier and Sanchez aren't punished for their loose moments, the rest of what they do is very positive, and suits Nuno's tactics as well.

The calamities are coming though.
And yet you didn't acknowledge his fine performance today (or last week as far as I remember), but still clung to a hope that they'd fuck up in the future so you could be right on the internet.

I don't doubt for a second he/they will make a bad mistake in the future. Everyone does. I remember Sammy, formerly of this parish, had a bizarre belief that VVD was actually really shit. He made a bad mistake in one game that led to a goal and Sammers was all over it... "See? See??? See!!!" Didn't matter that was it for the season, or that he'd been one of the best defenders in Europe before that. Sammy's opinion had been confirmed

And yes, Dier and/or Sánchez might fade from this hugely promising start, I've no idea. Or might just be OK. Or whatever, a bit up, a bit down. But I'm mystified as to why you wouldn't credit a fine performance unless called out but gladly predict "calamities are coming though"

Last edited:
Dunno about the luck though, they were all over us but created very little in terms of clear cut chances...of the two keepers Lloris had the least work to do...
Could you say we got an early lead, sat back & soaked up the pressure. Whilst challenging them to break us down.

Welcome the 3 points, naturally, but that overall performance was fucking horrible.

And it was on Nuno imo.

Gonna put it aside (extremely generously) and give him this one, tho, as a bit of a technical mare early on in his tenure (especially as we played so cleanly and cohesively against City).

But, I want to see him show he's learned from this and need to see more in-game tactical flexibility from him; instict, and foresight.

Many other teams will show the sort of fire and desire against us as Wolves did, here (which City failed to).

Want to see us keep the ball more under real pressure; control the MF more and adjust to obvious imbalances.

Not happy, but grateful for the win.

"Generous?" LOL

Game 1: Harry Kane derby vs Pep's bazillionaires
Game 2: Nuno derby away in the oppos first full home game in 18 months.
+ All the off-pitch bullshit with Kane & Ndombele

6 points; no goals conceded.

Nuno's done a cracking job so far even though he wasn't even hired until half way through the summer and we've every reason to think we can improve further.

You say about other teams; but why would you assume that we can't play with "fire" and motivation too?

Last edited:
Coupla things BM. First, Eric Dier has been shite for years upon years. With so many data points of evidence is it really fair to expect folks to run screaming about his 1 or 2 'not bad' performances? Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is a trend - we're not even 3 games in. He still made a horrible error in the 2nd half from which were weren't punished but would have expected to be.

Let him play 'well' all year and then question those that haven't acknowledged it. It would be fair then.
So why haven't you bigged up two outstanding performances? You surely would if they had been poor...

Could you say we got an early lead, sat back & soaked up the pressure. Whilst challenging them to break us down.
There wasn't really a challenge in breaking us down, they did it at will...but they were like a dog that chases cars, they hadn't a clue what to when they did it...

So why haven't you bigged up two outstanding performances? You surely would if they had been poor...
But the outstanding is the exception rather than the rule. Everyone makes errors (thinking of Allison throwing a couple in) and they are pointed out but Eric seems to have a serious mistake every game...I'm happy as fuck that 2 games have passed and both he and Sanchez have seemed ok...but he has to earn long term praise and love not be given it on the basis of 2 performances that were not shite.

Back
Top Bottom