Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question with Vlahovic is whether he’s had a breakthrough session or a purple patch. In the ‘buy to develop’ market that’s the risk we’re always going to have, which is fine but it does mean we need to do our homework. If we pass on him and he has another great year, we won’t be in for him next summer.

Re Martinez, he’s got a lot that’ll work well- he’s tenacious, good on the ball, positionally versatile and has flair. I’d be nervous about him down the middle as I don’t think we have the midfield to play without a powerful number 9 for more than a couple of games here and there, and there’s always a question with players of his type as to whether he’ll adapt to the past of this league, but as far as talent goes he’s as good as we’ve been linked to lately,

Most overated player in history. Got a lot of praise and plaudits, but have never looked good to me. When Sheff Utd bought him they had done really well in their first year in the prem, then they just stopped winning. Last season he was out injured most of the year.

His basics are good, he is big and strong, but just slow and a whole lot of meh.
So you are basically blaming Berge for getting Sheff. Utd relegated even though he hardly played for them last season 🤔 Since, according to your claim that he's "a whole lot of meh", shouldn't that (him being out) have helped the team to stay up then?
Btw, if you think he's the most overrated player in history, either you have very little knowledge of football or you have a strong inclination to overexaggerate ...
PS! When he played for Genk he was their fastest player on the 40-meter sprint test, at 4,7 seconds. Cristiano Ronaldo - one of the fastest players - runs it at 4,47.

Maybe he will release at the end of the window he is our last choice centre mid
I would like to send him out on a season-long loan to another EPL club - maybe Watford, Norwich or Soton - and see how that goes.
Or, do as Dinamo Zagreb did with Modric back in 2003, when he was 18: sending him out on loan to Bosnian team Zrinjski Mostar to "toughen" him up.

Last edited:
On like Berge, and I also think that the reason we’re being linked to good but not to shelf CMs is that the 3 looks set to come from Dele. Skipp, Lo Celso and Højbjerg anyway, with Ndombele and Winks set to stay too, while John looks ready for minutes. Therefore were more shopping for depth.

We’d all like to see the midfield upgraded but equally I think the club have identified defence and attack as the areas to really go to town on this summer, and there is a finite budget unless Kane leaves.

If we thought we were due a windfall from City then I’m sure the midfielders being linked would be in the same class as Romero and Martinez.

Hopefully Ndombele steps up, finds consistency and gives us what we thought we signed at long last. That cold well be the difference between an ok session and a very good season in my opinion.

So you are basically blaming Berge for getting Sheff. Utd relegated even though he hardly played for them last season 🤔 Since, according to your claim that he's "a whole lot of meh", shouldn't that (him being out) have helped the team to stay up then?
Btw, if you think he's the most overrated player in history, either you have very little knowledge of football or you have a strong inclination to overexaggerate ...
PS! When he played for Genk he was their fastest player on the 40-meter sprint test, at 4,7 seconds. Cristiano Ronaldo - one of the fastest players - runs it at 4,47.

I was being a bit hyperbolic with that first statement, I admit. Norwegian press has been talking him up for years, and quite early started linking him to some of the biggest clubs in the world. Sure, he is quite quick on a 40 meter sprint, but most actions by a CM involves shorter distance movements, and for those, he seems just too big. It takes time for a big guy like that to turn and move. With the ball he is very much a play-it-safe kind of guy. There seems to be little in the ways of creativity and creation. Compared to the hype I have seen him receive, I just ... do not see that he has much to offer. As a Norwegian, I hope I am wrong, as we do need someone who can run the midfield for our national team. I just can't see him being anywhere close to the top midfielders out there.

Was he responsible for Sheff Utd being relegated? Correlation is not causation, but they were flying high until he replaced Lundstram in 19/20. Lundstram was a player that I guess did not impress the management much, although he did deliver on the pitch. Berge, on the other hand, has been praised a lot, but does not really make anything happen in games (except against Spurs, of course). Is he to blame for the relegation when he was out injured most of the season? He was their record transfer, their form turned on its head when he arrived, and he sure did not help when he was out injured almost all of last season.

Saw him against BMG towards the end of last season, and my glass eye started to twitch. I read he was one of the options Lester was exploring.
Five I feel like I haven't seen you for ages

Who would your ideal partner be for Romero? Interested to hear your thoughts on that.

*(It can be any realisitc player we can buy)

Trying to sell Winks, Sissoko and Dier....

raccoon cling GIF

I still don't understand why we aren't looking into Alessio Romagnoli...
He has one year left on his contract and he's left-footed.

AC Milan was reported to be interested in Sissoko, so an added bonus might be if we can decrease the amount paid by offering Sissoko as part of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom