European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
There are sides to the establishment of the ESL which are a bit under-communicated in my opinion:

- The bigger the clubs the more cash they bleed due to Covid in absolute terms
- Owners and Clubs are getting desperate because of this. Some have deeper pockets than others, but the figures are appaling
- FIFA, UEFA, National Leagues and National Governments expect the bigger clubs to increase their support of the pyramid through increased redistribution downwards - this will further erode the cash flow of the bigger clubs looking forward
- The cost base is fixed in the medium turn - player wages on running contracts will not be reduced significantly
- Non of the footballing associations are able to come up with viable solutions for the mid-term future due to conflicts of interest and governance problems
- Goverments say sport will have to solve its own financial problems

It is very easy for fans and pundits to moralise about other peoples greed . I have yet to see anyone cough up good ideas to increase revenue or reduce cost.

Public opinion is that owners should shoulder the losses, sell or go bankrupt quietly and passively as they please.

Good post.

German clubs and even PSG taking a stand against it

Holy fuck doesn't look like the ones making the call to go ahead with this thought it through properly 😂
PSG barely existed not too long ago, they're mouthing off because they weren't invited (a bit like Neville). German clubs making a stand, and good for them. We can all be Dortmund supporters. But Leipzig and Leverkussen are just gonna take their £300M and buy all Dortmund's talent.

There are sides to the establishment of the ESL which are a bit under-communicated in my opinion:

- The bigger the clubs the more cash they bleed due to Covid in absolute terms
- Owners and Clubs are getting desperate because of this. Some have deeper pockets than others, but the figures are appaling
- FIFA, UEFA, National Leagues and National Governments expect the bigger clubs to increase their support of the pyramid through increased redistribution downwards - this will further erode the cash flow of the bigger clubs looking forward
- The cost base is fixed in the medium turn - player wages on running contracts will not be reduced significantly
- Non of the footballing associations are able to come up with viable solutions for the mid-term future due to conflicts of interest and governance problems
- Goverments say sport will have to solve its own financial problems

It is very easy for fans and pundits to moralise about other peoples greed . I have yet to see anyone cough up good ideas to increase revenue or reduce cost.

Public opinion is that owners should shoulder the losses, sell or go bankrupt quietly and passively as they please.
Right, except many smaller clubs are facing even more financial pressure, and are on the verge of going bankrupt. This is turning off their life support machine.

Simple: if this league goes ahead unmodified I'll stop following the club, until the league implodes or until other owners come in and take us out of it. Who do they think they are? Transient owners think they can actually take competition out of a game they have no understanding of. What a load of old bollocks - Levy should come out and give a press conference himself and try to justify what he's doing

This just underlines to me that I'm right to think that the the ESL will be rapidly accepted by the fans.
I don't know about rapid, but I think that they will lose fans and those fans will be replaced. These clubs do not care about local supporters and haven't for some time. The fixtures changes, ridiculous travel for away supporters, ticket prices, etc...all driven by TV and the money it brings in (which makes the pundit outrage ironic as fuck, btw).

The formation of the Premier League, the rapid expansion of the Champions League, Chelsea/City/PSG sportswashing, toothless FFP. This is just a blip for them.

It's sad, and I hope there is enough blowback to make it untenable, but I don't know how.

This just underlines to me that I'm right to think that the the ESL will be rapidly accepted by the fans.

Yes but the Premier League was never a closed shop as such. It made getting promoted from the championship or maintaining your position in the top league all the more desirable because of the prestige and extra revenue you would get and so maintained excitement throughout the season. How many dead rubbers is this league going to throw up? Why tune in to see Tottenham v Inter if both teams are near the bottom with no possibility of winning anything or of being relegated? There will be a few matches worth watching at the top end and a load of pointless dross from mid table downwards which will be the equivalent of friendlies.

I think the idea of the super league is a joke and will be the death of football , but let’s be honest any PL club getting offered the chance to join it would say yes as it’s all about the money! It’s what the game has now become

I don’t think love of the game and finances are a binary choice players see. They want both, and rightly so.

If money was the sole motivation more top stars would be playing in China. They go when their star has faded and they can no longer impact the game.

To stereotype all footballers as caring solely about money and not the love of the game is wrong.

If Harry isn’t allowed to play for England he will be inclined to do something about it, that’s for sure.....
That is fair. But more so for players that represent a nation of a reasonably high footballing standard.

I believe if it did come to a choice, all the worlds best players would go for the super league over their nations. Sure they would prefer both in an ideal world, but this may be a choice they have to make, and my money would be on the money.

It seems like the better poll question would be:

With the ESL happening, would you rather have Spurs part of it or not?

Arguing about the morality or competitiveness of it is a moot point as this was most likely completely inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom