In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Been reading the managerial debates and haven’t changed my mind. Want Nagelsmann, Ten Hag or Potter. I want decent football back for next season when the stadium opens even if we come 6-7th in the league I want to be entertained.

The fanbase seem incredibly splintered and confused about what it wants. Some want a win now manager, some want a rebuilder etc. And we also seem incredibly picky.

Parker and Potter don't have the experience. Allegri is too defensive, Sarri is former Chelsea, Gallardo doesn't speak English. Hütter isn't Nagelsmann etc etc.

At this point it seems that whoever is appointed that isn't named Julian Nagelsmann will fight a uphill battle.

I try to be positive in general about all the names bandied about, because a change has to happen. And I think that a Sarri appointment that is given time could produce good football. Despite his Chelsea past. But I am also in the "we need to rebuild" camp.
Personally I don't actually really care about winning things, I find it kind of bratty listening to those who demand that we must and that the club is failing us by not doing so. Every clubs fans want to win something, we aren't special or more deserving and with clubs like City around it's gotten harder and harder over recent years. What I would like is to feel like we might win something, for the most part under Poch I felt that way, for the final year/18 months that feeling waned as our performances declined and when he left I expected Mourinho to bring it back.

He hasn't, and now it feels like time for someone else to give it a go. When things are down in football it often feels like the good times are a million miles away, but all it takes is one decent Summer and things can be completely different.

Look at Leicester, from almost certain relegation to Champions one season to the next. Clearly that's not the norm but just because we're devastatingly average right now doesn't mean we're decades away from having a whiff of CL football again.

Personally I don't actually really care about winning things, I find it kind of bratty listening to those who demand that we must and that the club is failing us by not doing so. Every clubs fans want to win something, we aren't special or more deserving and with clubs like City around it's gotten harder and harder over recent years. What I would like is to feel like we might win something, for the most part under Poch I felt that way, for the final year/18 months that feeling waned as our performances declined and when he left I expected Mourinho to bring it back.

He hasn't, and now it feels like time for someone else to give it a go. When things are down in football it often feels like the good times are a million miles away, but all it takes is one decent Summer and things can be completely different.

Look at Leicester, from almost certain relegation to Champions one season to the next. Clearly that's not the norm but just because we're devastatingly average right now doesn't mean we're decades away from having a whiff of CL football again.
Yeah. I'd like to win some trophies but it is not a must have for me. But it would tickle my competitive personality.

I am however patient (or am trying to be), and would be willing to give the new manager a few years to rebuild the team in their image, like we allowed Pochettino to do. Be it Sarri, Jardim, Parker or whoever. Even Nagelsmann, which I have gone on note here previously about being sceptical about.

If whoever comes in after Jose can make us play decent enough football and have us competing for the European spots and maybe snag a cup or two over a 2-4 year period I would be happy with that. And it would hopefully put us in a decent position so that whoever replaces that manager can mount a more serious charge at the league one day.

Last edited:
Nagelsmann would be my preferred choice. Young, ambitious and Germany are generally doing well at the management game at the moment. I like the style of football he gets his Liepzig side played too, although ultimately they were outclassed recently over two legs against a badly out of sorts Liverpool team.

Potter wouldn't be a bad appointment. Knows how to get a team playing, but doesn't exactly get the juices flowing.

There really isn't that much about that's "realistic" right now.

Nagelsmann would be my preferred choice. Young, ambitious and Germany are generally doing well at the management game at the moment. I like the style of football he gets his Liepzig side played too, although ultimately they were outclassed recently over two legs against a badly out of sorts Liverpool team.

Potter wouldn't be a bad appointment. Knows how to get a team playing, but doesn't exactly get the juices flowing.

There really isn't that much about that's "realistic" right now.

Potter is a lesser name but the football he plays is lovely. That’s all I want right now, good football but yes Nagelsmann would be top billing.

Far as I am concerned one of Nagelsmann Potter or Ten Hag would redeem Levy. Even if we came 6th we would play decent football and I could enjoy being at games.

Potter is a lesser name but the football he plays is lovely. That’s all I want right now, good football but yes Nagelsmann would be top billing.

Far as I am concerned one of Nagelsmann Potter or Ten Hag would redeem Levy. Even if we came 6th we would play decent football and I could enjoy being at games.

Only slight worry I have with Potter is that at Brighton, nobody really expects or demands anything. They don't win a lot of games (every time I see them play they seem to be quite unlucky!) but he still gets credit for making them tough to beat, and easy on the eye.

At Spurs any manager will instantly be expected to make us into genuine challengers sooner rather than later if we don't lose the likes of Kane and Son. So it's a completely different sort of pressure from anything he's experienced before. He could obviously flourish, some people thrive under pressure if anything.

He has been a total disaster for sure, given the squad he has perhaps our worst manager under Levy’s tenure and has set the club back a few years in terms of how we rebuild. Above all the football is so poor it’s hard to watch us play.

Levy had build up some credit for the stadium and he has blown it like a drunk sailor in Vegas all on an ego trip. Levy should be nowhere near football decisions, he is no more qualified than you, me or the pope. We badly need a director of football with control to shape the football side.
How has the club been set back a few years?

Been reading the managerial debates and haven’t changed my mind. Want Nagelsmann, Ten Hag or Potter. I want decent football back for next season when the stadium opens even if we come 6-7th in the league I want to be entertained.

I agree on Nagelsmann and Potter but Ten Hag would be too risky. As we've learned from buying players, you can't trust the Dutch league when assessing quality.

So true. Earlier this season I used to end the game with a headache . On Sunday I just sat back and watched the game. Content in the knowledge that every chance we would cock it up and I wasn’t bothered if we did.
Theo Delaney(Spurs show) and Paul Hawksbee were on Talksport earlier today saying exactly the same thing.
It’s as if we are in limbo awaiting the removal of Jose.
Scott Parker for me. I can do without big names. Solsksjaer had done nothing to get the United job, apart from play for them. What did Lampard do at Derby...he did worse than the bloke before him and had 3 future internationals on loan. Still got top 4 for Chelsea.

Only slight worry I have with Potter is that at Brighton, nobody really expects or demands anything. They don't win a lot of games (every time I see them play they seem to be quite unlucky!) but he still gets credit for making them tough to beat, and easy on the eye.

At Spurs any manager will instantly be expected to make us into genuine challengers sooner rather than later if we don't lose the likes of Kane and Son. So it's a completely different sort of pressure from anything he's experienced before. He could obviously flourish, some people thrive under pressure if anything.

I think if he had been at this level for awhile that might concern me more but the fact that he is a young manager has moved from Sweden to Swansea then Brighton, to me shows that he has the ambition to keep moving up and likely wants to be at a level like us where the pressure is high. That doesn't mean that he will be able to handle it, but the reason why he has been at the levels he has been is because of his age more than anything.

I was not keen on him last summer but I have been more impressed with him this year. I think he has altered the approach a few times this year that makes me more confident that he can transfer his ideas/style to results on the pitch if he is given better players.

Last edited:
How has the club been set back a few years?

We will probably miss out on either EL, CL and that has a cost. We play shit football, half the players look miserable. It’s feels like the end of AVB’s reign. Our standing from 2-3 years ago has dropped and we are dependent on Levy pulling a rabbit out of the hat with the next manager. To say I am fucked off is an understatement.

It seems he is very like Pochettinno and sees value and has the belief in the project over 3-5 years and is given that time then we would all love him to take the reigns

It’s incredible the fact the guy is so young and an amazing manager I just can’t see him at this time taking over because we are a club in crisis.

Why Levy didn’t pull out all the stops to get him when Poch was sacked I’ll never know because his name was mentioned then too.
Because Levy is a twat with a picture of Jose on his bedroom ceiling

He also has the letter J in a tatoo on his left buttock and the letters s and e on his right buttock

So true. Earlier this season I used to end the game with a headache . On Sunday I just sat back and watched the game. Content in the knowledge that every chance we would cock it up and I wasn’t bothered if we did.
Theo Delaney(Spurs show) and Paul Hawksbee were on Talksport earlier today saying exactly the same thing.
It’s as if we are in limbo awaiting the removal of Jose.
Scott Parker for me. I can do without big names. Solsksjaer had done nothing to get the United job, apart from play for them. What did Lampard do at Derby...he did worse than the bloke before him and had 3 future internationals on loan. Still got top 4 for Chelsea.
He signed Harvertz, Chillwell, Werner, Ziyech , Silva and Sarr costing 210 million quid... I think with my FA level 2 I'd have a fair crack at top 4.
We need massive...MASSIVE investment, our squad is mid table at best with a sprinkling of world class attackers

Back
Top Bottom