January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

6 months left on Rose contract. Not in EL or PL squad, but could play in domestic cups.

Think its quite likely Spurs will need to bite bullet and pay off contract if Rose doesn't go on a loan with his wages part subsidised by us.

6 months left on Rose contract. Not in EL or PL squad, but could play in domestic cups.

Think its quite likely Spurs will need to bite bullet and pay off contract if Rose doesn't go on a loan with his wages part subsidised by us.

What a waste, my mate in Birmingham said before it was said on talksport that wba were interested in him but wouldn't pay his wages

Full 25 in the EPL squad.
I am assuming Dele gets a loan but if not surely Jose's decision is drop Gazza or Whiteman to potentially accommodate Eriksen?
Obviously if Sanchez leaves the club then no issue with including the Dane in the EPL squad.

I do not think Dele going on loan helps Spurs in any way - we cannot get a good quality HG player in on loan to replace him. IMO the only way Dele goes is if a big fee is offered.

Problem I think is that few other clubs can afford the wages that most of our players are on - and those that could want a better player than players we want to discard. So can only see the likes of Sanchez going in a part exchange.

I do not think Dele going on loan helps Spurs in any way - we cannot get a good quality HG player in on loan to replace him. IMO the only way Dele goes is if a big fee is offered.

Problem I think is that few other clubs can afford the wages that most of our players are on - and those that could want a better player than players we want to discard. So can only see the likes of Sanchez going in a part exchange.
I want Dele to stay. But will he?
Sanchez leaving is the ideal solution but-who wants him?
I think JM may take the nuclear option and drop him from the squads even if we don't shift him.

What a waste, my mate in Birmingham said before it was said on talksport that wba were interested in him but wouldn't pay his wages

Rose is only 30 so if Rose wanted to play he could be good for 3 or 4 years.

6 months of his current salary to end of contract is less than £2m and its then a question of Rose and WBA (or whoever) agreeing a salary going forward.

So if Rose wants to play football......he's got to accept whatever other clubs feel is the right wage for an experienced LB. But that's probably a fraction of his current wages

I want Dele to stay. But will he?
Sanchez leaving is the solution but-who wants him?
I think JM may take the nuclear option and drop him from the squads even if we don't shift him.

Dropping Dele from the squads only hurts Spurs as we cannot replace an HG player, so we have one less player to play in all 4 competitions we have - and despite JM's legitimate concerns he's still a very good option for some matches where we need to rotate

Danny should run down his contract then leave on a free. Financially that makes the most sense and that's really the only relevant factor since like me he clearly sees our fans, manager and owners as cunts.

It's a real shame about Danny.
Hope we can get a mutually agreeable solution.

I suspect the issue is that Danny needs to reflect reality - he's no longer the player of 3 or 4 years ago who was probably part of one of the best FB combinations (with Walker) in PL and probably Europe.

And that means needs to accept a fraction of his wages - but I suspect he always thought he was 'under paid' after Walker went to Man City, so harsh reality is not going to come easily to his 'hurt pride'

Just my opinion of course.

Hope he can move on with the rest of his life and has a good agent to help him re-orientate (but if his current agent helped him give various press articles, I suspect a change of agent would help)

Danny should run down his contract then leave on a free. Financially that makes the most sense and that's really the only relevant factor since like me he clearly sees our fans, manager and owners as cunts.

He's better off financially getting a new contract with another club, subsidised by Spurs for first 6 months.

Gives him security going forward

He's better off financially getting a new contract with another club, subsidised by Spurs for first 6 months.

Gives him security going forward
He can leave for free and then command higher wages as there'll be no transfer fee.

He may not even be bothered about job security if he can't wait to see the back of football.

He can leave for free and then command higher wages as there'll be no transfer fee.

He may not even be bothered about job security if he can't wait to see the back of football.

I doubt Spurs will be able to charge a fee - more likely to need to subsidise his wages for 6 months.

If he doesn't want to play football, you are correct he'll just let his contract run down. But I would fear for his mental health if he does that - unless he has another career lined up, and he doesn't seem to have that.

Probably not possible this window, would a very good addition in the summer though I think.

BBC
West Ham will try to sign 23-year-old Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard this month but the French forward would prefer to move to an established top-six side in the Premier League.
(Daily Star on Sunday)

I doubt Spurs will be able to charge a fee - more likely to need to subsidise his wages for 6 months.

If he doesn't want to play football, you are correct he'll just let his contract run down. But I would fear for his mental health if he does that - unless he has another career lined up, and he doesn't seem to have that.
Do you know if we've ever done that? Can't see Levy wanting to do it especially after he's already made excuses with the pandemic.

I agree Rose should get out asap if it's toxic for his mental health. It all seems a bit convoluted. Something doesn't quite add up. He clearly wants out.
The club want him out.

It is extremely telling that cam whore Levy's chat with Rose didn't make the doc yet everything else did. That is the key bit of info we are all missing.

Not sure if you mean the financial security side or the 'keeping busy makes you happy', but if it's the former, I find it hard to believe that any professional footballer has to worry about a career after football if they are retiring at 30 and have been receiving 4 million a year. Even if they live to be 100, that's 1 week's wages per year to live off at a standard twice as high as the national average (and that is ignoring that it's easier to make money when you have lots of it). Assuming they own their house and cars outright. Rose has been on 40-60k a week for at least 2 years, which ought to cover it.

I think he'll run his contract down, though, that's the only way these boys know how to rebel these days. He's clearly angry and as far as I can tell, is blaming the club and not himself. For his sake, I hope he takes a loan or any other get out of jail free card.

Do you know if we've ever done that? Can't see Levy wanting to do it especially after he's already made excuses with the pandemic.

I agree Rose should get out asap if it's toxic for his mental health. It all seems a bit convoluted. Something doesn't quite add up. He clearly wants out.
The club want him out.

It is extremely telling that cam whore Levy's chat with Rose didn't make the doc yet everything else did. That is the key bit of info we are all missing.

Wanyama's contract cancelled with some payout by Spurs just after a transfer window when Wanyama backed out of a good move to a Belgian club willing to offer Spurs £12m and Wanyama the same or better wages Spurs were paying right at the last minute

Not sure if you mean the financial security side or the 'keeping busy makes you happy', but if it's the former, I find it hard to believe that any professional footballer has to worry about a career after football if they are retiring at 30 and have been receiving 4 million a year. Even if they live to be 100, that's 1 week's wages per year to live off at a standard twice as high as the national average (and that is ignoring that it's easier to make money when you have lots of it). Assuming they own their house and cars outright. Rose has been on 40-60k a week for at least 2 years, which ought to cover it.

I think he'll run his contract down, though, that's the only way these boys know how to rebel these days. He's clearly angry and as far as I can tell, is blaming the club and not himself. For his sake, I hope he takes a loan or any other get out of jail free card.

Financially it would not be worse for next 6 months - and he is then assured of a contract going forward.

So better financially and he's got a routine for next few years. And he can then plan for what he does for the rest of his life. But I fear he will go down the route of cutting off his nose to spite his face,

Probably not possible this window, would a very good addition in the summer though I think.

BBC
West Ham will try to sign 23-year-old Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard this month but the French forward would prefer to move to an established top-six side in the Premier League.
(Daily Star on Sunday)

only things against is probably that he's an overseas trained player - and he's moving from a club with little competition to one which is very competitive, so a big step up

Back
Top Bottom