January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was absolute crap all last year in the Prem though. It's clear he's a good Champo player but I did not like what I saw last season from him.
I didn't think so tbh. Very good on the ball most times I saw him. Good 1v1 defending, some bad positioning. Part of a poorly organised defense in a team playing open football with no solidity in central midfield . 20yo. I think he'll be a top player for years to come.

For all these forward link for the summer, Milik should be the one we should look at. Left footed. Can play as CF as well as wide forward.

In theory he can be that final puzzle of the third starting goal scorer for us, as well as back up for Kane as CF, when we need to rotate.

In 3 day time, I believe he can sign pre contract with overseas club? If we're more ambitious, we can just pay Napoli a bit and try to get him in January even.

If PSG were to lose either Mbappe or Neymar next summer I'd worry about both kane and son

How long can we expect them to stick around? In the prime of their careers right now and so far no trophies to show for it

Why the fuck would they want to go to France and win the league there. It’s about as prestigious as winning Division one in England

Why the fuck would they want to go to France
Old Lady Laughing GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

We spent a load more money than I thought we would in the summer, so i doubt we are going to be doing the same in January.
We didn't really spend that much, did we?

The big issue is getting around the HG quota, or in another word, getting the best value out of outgoing players. Buying players, then just leaving players out of registered squad, then we would see those players value depreciated, defeating the point of penny pinching instead of spending more on quality proven players.

Why?

He has had 7, 5, 5, 2 goals the last 4 seasons and is clearly past it. He offers nothing other than goals and clearly is not good enough to replace Kane or play ahead of Vinicius. I don't see a huge need for a 3rd string striker who sucks, is 32 and is a terrible person.
Not a fan of signing Diego Costa, but disagree with these out of context remark.

Diego Costa asset as CF is not all about goal. He occupies and riles up opponents defenders all game, thus bringing his teammates into play. Great hold up play. With him in a team, the manager can be afforded with and extra attacker in the team, as he can defend from up front, and help with defending set piece.

If only looking at goal, then Juventus was stupid to spend that much for Morata with similar goal return for Atletico. Simeone Atletico forwards ain't always scoring in load. And more importantly by minutes play, they forwards get rotated a lot. At times, it looks like Diego Costa got played to do defensive work, especially in set piece. Simeone wants more bodies in attack, but wouldn't give up that defensive ability.

He may be past it now, but the true intention is freeing up the high wage, so they can reinvest. They're interested in Milik. This is the signing we should rival them.

Not a fan of signing Diego Costa, but disagree with these out of context remark.

Diego Costa asset as CF is not all about goal. He occupies and riles up opponents defenders all game, thus bringing his teammates into play. Great hold up play. With him in a team, the manager can be afforded with and extra attacker in the team, as he can defend from up front, and help with defending set piece.

If only looking at goal, then Juventus was stupid to spend that much for Morata with similar goal return for Atletico. Simeone Atletico forwards ain't always scoring in load. And more importantly by minutes play, they forwards get rotated a lot. At times, it looks like Diego Costa got played to do defensive work, especially in set piece. Simeone wants more bodies in attack, but wouldn't give up that defensive ability.

He may be past it now, but the true intention is freeing up the high wage, so they can reinvest. They're interested in Milik. This is the signing we should rival them.

Juventus was stupid spending that much for Morata.

Take away the goal totals Costa doesn't do enough elsewhere to justify signing him. He does not do enough without the ball to ignore that he is terrible at scoring.

Again the key point here, AM are not getting rid of him because of how great he has been for them.

Edit:

Also, signing Milik would be a horrible idea.

Juventus was stupid spending that much for Morata.

Take away the goal totals Costa doesn't do enough elsewhere to justify signing him. He does not do enough without the ball to ignore that he is terrible at scoring.

Again the key point here, AM are not getting rid of him because of how great he has been for them.
That's the point of debated. He had been re-signed and stayed in this team all this time, not only because of his goals.

He's not great for the wage he's earning, however, it's not that Atletico paid him to terminate his contract early because he's bad. He asked to leave as he wants a more prominent role at another club, and Atletico saw it as a chance to reinvest his wage in another player. Big difference.

That's the point of debated. He had been re-signed and stayed in this team all this time, not only because of his goals.

He's not great for the wage he's earning, however, it's not that Atletico paid him to terminate his contract early because he's bad. He asked to leave as he wants a more prominent role at another club, and Atletico saw it as a chance to reinvest his wage in another player. Big difference.

If he was good they would not need to free up his wage for another player. And he has been so good for them he has 2 starts with 5 appearances, such a key player that I am sure they are very sad to lose him and it is only because of their desire to clear up wages that they are letting him go, not the fact that he offers nothing of value and is rarely used.

There is no debate he doesn't offer other positive things to help a team. He doesn't offer goals either so really he offers nothing. He is not close to good enough to help our team. is the exact kind of player we should be doing everything to avoid and to top it all off is a huge prick.

There are zero good reasons to bring him in and a ton of bad reasons to add him. It is a very simple decision that is only a talking point because Jose loved him in the past.

If he was good they would not need to free up his wage for another player. And he has been so good for them he has 2 starts with 5 appearances, such a key player that I am sure they are very sad to lose him and it is only because of their desire to clear up wages that they are letting him go, not the fact that he offers nothing of value and is rarely used.

There is no debate he doesn't offer other positive things to help a team. He doesn't offer goals either so really he offers nothing. He is not close to good enough to help our team. is the exact kind of player we should be doing everything to avoid and to top it all off is a huge prick.

There are zero good reasons to bring him in and a ton of bad reasons to add him. It is a very simple decision that is only a talking point because Jose loved him in the past.
It's his desire to leave that they came to agreement to terminate his contract. They didn't have to pay him to leave. If they just want to rid and he refuses, they had to pay off his remaining contract!

You just make statement, and declare it as infallible. If he can't offer nothing beside goal, he would even get a minute knowing Simeone.

Who said about wanting to bring him here?

You seem not to read my post when you responded? You keep repeat the same point, while missing all the points I made.

It's his desire to leave that they came to agreement to terminate his contract. They didn't have to pay him to leave. If they just want to rid and he refuses, they had to pay off his remaining contract!

You just make statement, and declare it as infallible. If he can't offer nothing beside goal, he would even get a minute knowing Simeone.

Who said about wanting to bring him here?

You seem not to read my post when you responded? You keep repeat the same point, while missing all the points I made.

Who said anything about brining him here???

Why do you think its posted in the transfer window talk and there is a thread title When do we sign Costa?

Eriksen wanted to leave did we terminate his contract? No we waited and sold him and waited for our price because as Levy said he was more valuable to us staying even if he wanted to go then to let him go for cheap just because he wanted out.

Why didn't we let Eriksen just go, it would have freed up wages for us that we needed. Its almost like he was valuable to us so we kept him.

If Costa was useful for AM they wouldn't let him go whether he wanted to or not like the 1000's of other players that have wanted to leave clubs and not had their contracts terminated because they were too good to just release.

He is so valuable to Simeone that he is letting him go for nothing, that is zero minutes that he is getting from him.

I read your post and the points you were making were poor. I didn't miss them and addressed them.

Who said anything about brining him here???

Why do you think its posted in the transfer window talk and there is a thread title When do we sign Costa?

Eriksen wanted to leave did we terminate his contract? No we waited and sold him and waited for our price because as Levy said he was more valuable to us staying even if he wanted to go then to let him go for cheap just because he wanted out.

Why didn't we let Eriksen just go, it would have freed up wages for us that we needed. Its almost like he was valuable to us so we kept him.

If Costa was useful for AM they wouldn't let him go whether he wanted to or not like the 1000's of other players that have wanted to leave clubs and not had their contracts terminated because they were too good to just release.

He is so valuable to Simeone that he is letting him go for nothing, that is zero minutes that he is getting from him.

I read your post and the points you were making were poor. I didn't miss them and addressed them.
You responded to my point, and all you said was from perspective of not wanting so let's describe a player as horrible as possible, contrary to how a player actual play.

Eriksen was on cheap wage. At that wage, there was takers, as evidently.

On high wage, it's a different ball game. See Cavani case. He's in similar position, but nobody pick him up until he lowered his demand and went to Man U at the end of the window. PSG had wanted to rid as soon as last January, Cavani rather just stayed and picking up his high wage, than playing for a lowered wage for about half a year.

The key is context.

Vini and now costa wouldn’t it have been better to just have got Wilson in the summer? HG as well and has proven goal scoring in the EPL and no need to get acclimatised to the league. I’m sure we could have undercut toon and he would have preferred to come to us than them!

You responded to my point, and all you said was from perspective of not wanting so let's describe a player as horrible as possible, contrary to how a player actual play.

Eriksen was on cheap wage. At that wage, there was takers, as evidently.

On high wage, it's a different ball game. See Cavani case. He's in similar position, but nobody pick him up until he lowered his demand and went to Man U at the end of the window. PSG had wanted to rid as soon as last January, Cavani rather just stayed and picking up his high wage, than playing for a lowered wage for about half a year.

The key is context.

So Cavani was on a high wage did PSG just cut him lose in January? No because he was playing well for them and a key player.

Costa has started 2 games this year for AM, stop trying to make it out like he was helping them but just too much money. The reason they are dropping him is because he is not good enough to help them. They don't need him and they don't want him. If he was good and making positive contributions they would keep around even with his wages.

Back
Top Bottom