Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reguilon - 23
Hojbjerg - 25
Skriniar - 25
Milik 26
Doherty - 28
Bale - 31

Average age there is 26 years old. That is the age of players entering their prime. It's not nearly as bad as your post implies. And we have made some signings to the academy, and have a handful of promising young players we are loaning out and developing already. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's as big of a concern as you make it out to be.

(And I know I left out Hart, but considering the little amount of games we will see him I think it's fair to not include him).
Are skrinier and Milik done deals?

There's an obsession in Britain with "pace"

Pace is and isn’t important. It depends on how a team sets up, what position the relevant players play and what their attributes are.

Defensively:

A high line plus slow defenders is a recipe for disaster whereas slow defenders in a deep line is fine.

Likewise if you play a wingback system with players in the ilk of Trippier and Davies then they would get murdered every time the ball is played in behind them.

Look at our current centre backs:

Sanchez - quick and strong but loses his bearings
Alderweireld - positionally strong but his legs are going
Dier - a unit but has the turning circle of a tractor, is prone to switching off and tackling isn’t his forte
Tanganga - quick, strong but very inexperienced and slow to react
Foyth - like bambi on ice

Skriniar - he’s not the quickest but he’s not Fazio slow either. He’s built like a tank and unlike Dier times his tackles to perfection and reads the game well. Should we sign him he would be our best defender.

Whether it be this summer, January or next summer we will need to bring in another CB to replace Alderweireld.

Relatively speaking of course.

Anyone mentioning him in the same breath as Maldini or Thuram etc didn’t see football before 2010.
That’s the problem here, he’s being compared to Maguire (that’s 180M the pair), Zouma, Ake, Otamendi, Holding, Sokrates.
Levels.

Try and put him up there with Hummels, Koeman, Cannavaro, Dessailly, Nesta, Puyol, Ramos though......naaaaaaaaaah
Baresi weren't bad either and maldini if he was playing now would probably be worth 150m.

Levy refusing to include Ndombele in a deal for Skriniar originally, then circling back around and getting them to lower the price in exchange for Sissoko would be something else.
I swear, if Levy manages to include Sissoko in this deal I think I might join the cult

1177646904276a3142a010dc7c7b76a4.gif

I swear, if Levy manages to include Sissoko in this deal I think I might join the cult

1177646904276a3142a010dc7c7b76a4.gif

lmao

I know he’s my avatar picture, but I wouldn’t consider myself a part this so called cult. He’s fucked up plenty. But at least nice to see he’s trying to dig out of this hole.

Liverpool's defensive record has been immense ever since Van Dijk joined though, and he's their best defender.
He is certainly the best defender in the league currently. Probably the best defender in the PL in the past 10 years?

I agree he’s probably the best defender in the EPL at the moment but unlike years ago it’s very difficult to name a bunch of quality centre backs. They’re such a rare breed these days.

I like VVD but I wouldn’t class him as one of the greats. I know I’m going back a good 5-10 years and more in some cases but the likes of Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Tony Adams and Ledley King were all phenomenal defenders. It doesn’t matter if an attacker was quick, strong, tricky... you weren’t getting any loose change out of these defenders. If VVD maintains his current level of performance for say another 5 years then yes I can see an argument for classing him as one of the great central defenders but he’s not there yet.

Back
Top Bottom