Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No. I have only seen him once, and I thought he had a bad game. Although two mates of mine rate him highly (and I trust their judgement).

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, although there are some CBs that have already been sold or are for sale that are of interest to me. But my minimum requirement is that the CB has good mobility.

Yeah very much agree about the mobility.

Anyway my favourite centre back atm is definitely Kounde at Sevilla. That kid is special

Wouldn't you rather go and spend £19m on the next Söyüncü, for example, as opposed to maybe twice that amount on a CB that is highly compromised in terms of his athletic ability?

I think that is better theory than practice. more often than not you end up with a guy who can't play at all rather than a Soyuncu.

i think there should be room for adding a Skriniar and adding a guy that could be the next Soyuncu.

Sell Dier and use the money to bring in two potential Soyuncu's for example seems like a better option than not adding a quality player like Skriniar.

I knew you would jump on it:mourhandlaugh:
*must resist obvious bait*
iu

I think that is better theory than practice. more often than not you end up with a guy who can't play at all rather than a Soyuncu.

i think there should be room for adding a Skriniar and adding a guy that could be the next Soyuncu.

Sell Dier and use the money to bring in two potential Soyuncu's for example seems like a better option than not adding a quality player like Skriniar.
Why do you think Skriniar is quality?

Wouldn't you rather go and spend £19m on the next Söyüncü, for example, as opposed to maybe twice that amount on a CB that is highly compromised in terms of his athletic ability?
We spent more than twice that £19m on an athletic centre back with the possibility of him coming good.

But there are so few guarantees that a highly promising player becomes the great player they have the potential to be.
Guardiola spent £50 million (incl clauses) on the 22-year-old John Stones. It looked a match made in heaven - "England's best footballing CB in a generation" with the world's best footballing coach.
And Stones has, unfortunately, flopped.
If Guardiola gets 21-year-old Jules Kounde (ironically to upgrade Stones yet again), I'll be irritated because he looked a Rolls Royce of a CB in last season's EL matches, but there are still no guarantees he'll justify the rumoured £80 million price-tag.
It also seems Guardiola, who will ONLY play footballing CBs is in for Ruben Dias, who I know you don't think is good enough for Spurs, and is as "athletically compromised" as Skriniar.
If it's all about athleticism & ability to recover, then Japhet Tanganga & Davinson Sanchez, coached by Ledley King, are our partnership of the future.

Thing is with players like Kabak, Edouard, Godfrey etc is that Mourinho just doesn't favour young, relatively inexperienced players so if we signed them they'd likely never play. Whether your a Jose fan or not he isn't really interested in bedding in players over 2 or 3 seasons as he doesn't hang around to see the rewards. I'm all for buying players for the here and now and we probably gaven't done that enough but its good to have a mixture.

Thing is with players like Kabak, Edouard, Godfrey etc is that Mourinho just doesn't favour young, relatively inexperienced players so if we signed them they'd likely never play. Whether your a Jose fan or not he isn't really interested in bedding in players over 2 or 3 seasons as he doesn't hang around to see the rewards. I'm all for buying players for the here and now and we probably gaven't done that enough but its good to have a mixture.
We already have a heap of players we cannot give away. I hate to think what the situation will be in two years' time.

Why do you think Skriniar is quality?

Based on his abilities.

He is good positionally, good at reading the play, doesn't put himself in bad positions, is strong enough to not get bullied by stronger forwards, comfortable enough on the ball to move the ball away from danger areas and up the field to the midfield.

Yes he is far from a speed demon in the open field but he isn't like a Dier that is so flat footed that he gets his feet wrong and in bad positions in tight, he is "quick" enough in the box that he can deal with forwards.

I think there is still a role in the game for a CB that is good positionally, can read the play, moves around well enough to deal with 99% of the strikers in the game, is strong enough not to get pushed around and is decent with the ball at his feet.

His athletic limitations are wildly overrated, he is not a liability athletically.

Back
Top Bottom