Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just been reading about wolves spending £35m
On a teenage striker from porto, so how is it that even Leicester and now wolves have more financial power than us....we did get to a champions league final and we have been playing in the champions league. If these things do not generate the club more money to spend than wolves and Leicester, 2 supposedly smaller clubs than what is the fucking point....levy has everyone believing his bullshit, he couldn't believe his luck when coronavirus gave him a perfect ready-made excuse.......what a parasite scumbag he really is......
Airfixx Airfixx posted a few weeks ago that Covid would have a major impact on every teams transfer dealings this summer.

He subsequently added that was apart from City and Chelsea

He then added United to his list of exemptions.

He's adding Leicester and Wolves tomorrow.

By the end of the month, I predict his list will be at least 15 teams long.

Airfixx Airfixx posted a few weeks ago that Covid would have a major impact on every teams transfer dealings this summer.

He subsequently added that was apart from City and Chelsea

He then added United to his list of exemptions.

He's adding Leicester and Wolves tomorrow.

By the end of the month, I predict his list will be at least 15 teams long.

And now JT breaks out the lies.... :pochrolleyes:

From day one I have not expected City, Utd & Chavs to blink about spending in this window (City & Utd have incomparrable wealth & Chavs had a big pot of money sat around having sold their star man and a few others); in fact I predicted they would use their financial muscle to widen the gap when other teams are juggling their finances..... If anything I'm suprised the Chavs haven't accumulated more of a net spend, but it appears they got even more money from sales than I realised last year.

- Leicester have spent 20m to replace a 50m FB... You'd be melting like fuck at such a move if that was us... In fact you did when we did the same.
- Wolves sold their starting FB. No replacement through the door yet.... You'd be melting at that too.
- Wolves have spent 35m on an 18 y/o kid.... You'd be complaining that we needed "proven talent" if that was us.

If you wanna get jealous about the above, then go ahead..... I shan't waste my time any further.

Last edited:
Have you read about Levy's conversation with Eriksen?

The chairman says during the meeting: "I said to Jose, and I just want to make this clear now, from Tottenham's viewpoint I've always been consistent here, we don't want you to go."

"From a financial viewpoint, I've always said to you whatever another club is offering we'd do exactly the same, so there can be no doubt in your mind that your reason for leaving isn't a financial one."

It was stupid Poch that would not hear of him being sold. Man, you was ahead of the curve, my brother.

70755743.jpg

Poch flew out to Copenhagen in 2018 to try and persuade Eriksen to stay.

Poch 2018

"We're not worried -- in football I'm never worried -- but I prefer that he's going to sign the new contract and spend a long time with Tottenham. It will be fantastic.

"Christian is a very good player. When he was signed he was a prospect, a very good player at Ajax but still young, and Tottenham provided a very good platform to develop his quality.

"Eriksen and Tottenham, and Tottenham and Eriksen, was a very good mix -- good for Tottenham, good for Christian Eriksen. That's why I hope Christian continues to develop his career here with Tottenham."

Poch 2019

"Christian is a special person. We are all special, different. We need to understand that. The timing for him or for the club to be agreeing something is maybe different to another player.

I hope and I wish that Christian can be with us in the future."

And there are plenty more.

From what we actually know and have read from all sides, doesn't it go something like...Levy was trying to either get a player that his manager valued very highly and would rather have stayed - and said so publicly - to either sign a new contract - and was prepared to offer him an extremely good contract to do that - or was prepared to sell him as long as that player was refusing that contract offer?

Surely they are the only two options open to him?

If someone proves to that Levy had a decent offer for Eriksen at any stage and it was a club that Erisken would have gone to, and Levy knocked it back, then I'll happily slaughter him. I don't want us to get stuck with valuable players running contracts down, and I'm not someone who gets bent out of shape about players leaving - and wanting to leave - either.

I don't think Poch would or could prevent Levy from selling him, and I don't think Levy was refusing to sell him either, I think none of the clubs that Eriksen was hoping for came in, so he decided to sit tight, (as has also come out of this doc, Eriksen refused to discuss anything) run his contract down and hope that made him more appealing to desired clubs, as it got closer he realised (or hsi agent was telling him) none of his choices (RM/Barca) were interested, things were souring with Spurs, and he eventually agreed to go to Inter as no one better was showing any interest.

I have repeated many times, IMO, regardless of what Poch thought or said, ultimately the buck stops with Levy with regards to players being allowed to run contracts down. But it's not black and white, if Levy is open to selling but gets no offers except from clubs like ManU and the player knocks them back, there's not much he can do, if he's also got a manager that rates that player very highly (and I have never hid my liking for the player either so can understand why) and wants that player to stay and he's happy to sell or offer a new contract, then it's hardly trying to actively fuck the manager either is it?

As for the ahead of the curve bollocks, I wanted us to be upgrading long before 2018, including yours and todd's (and Poch's) golden boy Dembele - long before he was packed off to the glue factory, and would have gladly taken ManU's 60m for Dier and Alli, is there any doubt that Poch was keen to keep these guys hanging about - I mean he even writes about it in his book, after Dier told Poch about ManU's interest in him:

"He told me about United’s interest since last summer and I explained the situation to him clearly. ‘Look, you aren’t leaving because you signed a five-year deal with us in August. You’re among the highest-paid players at Tottenham at the age of 22. You’re important to us and you could become the best centre-back in the Premier League.’"

Were Dembele, Dier, Alli Levy refusing to sell, or Pochettino not wanting his perceived favourites being sold?

Same with the fucking deadwood. Poch was asked about using KWP as back up and he said no, he's not ready and went and signed Aurier, and by then he was clearly a major part of acquiring some of that deadwood that ended up on high PL money for fees that are hard to recover outside the top 6.

Could Levy have done a better job at shifting some deadwood, maybe - but no one has actually posted much evidence of that, could Poch be culpable in the accruing of some of that deadwood, yes definitely - I've posted you the actual statement about how it worked once Mitchell fucked off. Hitchen and Poch drew up a list, Levy said what was financially doable and tried to do it. was Poch always open to selling his best./percieved best players, no he clearly wasn't, he's said as much, and what manager is ? I don't hate him for that, just using it as an example of the compromises and mitigation that Levy faces.

In terms of how this squad has formed and deteriorated I was calling for a rebuild long before 2018, and you fucking know that. All I've ever said is I don't think the reasons we've failed to do it are all at Levy's door.

In terms of what Poch did with the squad he had, I fucking loved it for a couple of years, was a bit meh about it for a couple of years and fucking hated it for a year and a half, and that's regardless of the fuck up we - Levy et al - made of servicing it.

Last edited:
It's basically the same reason we went for Doherty over Castagne; we had to sell Aurier before we could make a serious bid for Castagne. This nugget of info comes from Castagne's father.

Would Castagne have actually cost more than Doherty? Genuine question as I thought he was going really cheap, last year contract etc

Edit
I've just looked on transfermarkt Castagne 21m Eu Doherty 16.8m

I didn't pay any attention at the time to what he went for.

Last edited:
Poch was responsible for the cuban missile crisis, killing archduke FF, the drop in the pound leading to Uncle Joe and Soros profiting, amongst other worldly ills. And don't even get me started on his abuse of our academy kids...not in the BC and Spursidol way, of course. If he would have only played Marcus Edwards and that kid plying his trade in the Czech 3rd division* we wouldn't have declined like we have. It's all his fault.

Good thing Hitchens is on the case and has known about it for some time now. But as usual stupid Poch was premature and beggin for it over a year too early. He would have screwed us out of a CL final you know? Stupid Poch...and Sissoko.

edit: was it lesniak?

In the same way Levy invented a pandemic so he didn't have to spend any money on players and make people mow his lawn?

Last edited:
Would Castagne have actually cost more than Doherty? Genuine question as I thought he was going really cheap, last year contract etc

£21.5m apparently....

Fact remains, if we were as averse to drifting into a net spend as some would like to believe we wouldn't have Doherty right now.

GK
Aurier Sanchez Sissoko Sessegnon
Ndombele Lo Celso
Bergwijn Lamela Son
Lucas

We're a keeper shy of an entire XI that cost more than Castagne.

Actually scratch that.

Sissoko
Aurier Sanchez CB Sessegnon
Ndombele Lo Celso
Bergwijn Lamela Son
Lucas

We're actually a CB shy :sonpoint:

“I definitely still see myself as a Premier League striker," Deeney said in The Sun.

“I scored double figures last season on one leg. Now I’m over my knee troubles. I’m back on two legs.

“I got ten in the league from 27 games, which was not a bad return. I know it includes penalties but Bruno Fernandes scores penalties as well at Man United.

“I’m not comparing myself to Fernandes but I’ve scored the opportunities presented to me.

“How many did Sebastien Haller get last year for West Ham? Six or seven. Or Joelinton for Newcastle? Two.

“Put it into context: these are £40million players and I only cost £300,000. My time’s not up."

:dembelelol:

The man definitely has a point. :adesalute:

Think of him what you will, then compare the exploits of Soldado and Janssen against him.

All that glitters is not gold.

He has the right character, commitment and has enough talent, character being the most important thing because that cannot be trained into anyone.

In fairness, over the last half decade or so JJ has been pretty much spot on.

He’s also Donna Cullen’s brother, so is an unofficial mouthpiece of the club’s PR.

I know SC dismiss this, but I guess there must be another South African woman working high up at Spurs that he openly admitted to being the brother of, after joining that site at the same time as Cullen.

He’s also Donna Cullen’s brother, so is an unofficial mouthpiece of the club’s PR.

I know SC dismiss this, but I guess there must be another South African woman working high up at Spurs that he openly admitted to being the brother of, after joining that site at the same time as Cullen.

I have always found his Tweets or forum stuff relatively informative and on transfer potential accurate, honest and conservative.

Of all the "ITK' floating around about Spurs i'd rate his opinions better than anyone's.

I have always found his Tweets or forum stuff relatively informative and on transfer potential accurate, honest and conservative.

Of all the "ITK' floating around about Spurs i'd rate his opinions better than anyone's.

I agree, and used to chat to him in private on SC quite a few times. He definitely knows stuff.

He’s also the brother of Cullen, so puts a PR spin on things.

For unbiased and decent info from SC it’s really only Dragon that is worth listening to, and they don’t post on SC.

So if the rumours are true that we will have basically nothing to spend , here's how I would be 'creative'

Here's what we need : RB , CDM , ST , CB at a bare minimum

Sell Outright :
Danny Rose to Newcastle

Bring in Outright:
Max Aarons from Norwich (Because he will be relatively cheap)
Giroud or Dyzuba - Free- £5m
Meunier - Free
Fraser or Willian - Free

Bring in on a swap deal :
Eze from QPR , We give them Cameron Carter Vickers , Luke Amos and maybe Jack Clarke in return for Eze , maybe a small amount of cash would have to be involved in this deal.
Hojberg From Southampton , Give them Kyle Walker Peters as part of the deal
As suggested by Football London , we could offer Foyth + Cash for Ruben Dias , alternatively we could throw in other players or offer more money

Then if we bring in Meunier and Fraser/Willian it will allow the club to sell the likes of Lamela and Aurier , they can either be sold outright (although that might be difficult) or they can be included in swap deals. I've heard that some Serie A clubs are interested in those two players , maybe there are some Serie a Players from those clubs which we would want in a deal although none come to my head.

Tottenham could spend very little money , offload some 'deadwood' while being 'creative' . Daniel Levy has to be smart like this...

I think your use of different coloured paragraphs has increased the likelihood of Levy getting on board

Back
Top Bottom