Premier League 20/21 Targets and Expectations.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2020/2021 season target

• Win everything we enter!!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Title challenge and pick up at least 1 trophy.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Top 4 and get to the later stages (at least) of cup competitions.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • Top 4. The cup competition are less important.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Secure a Europa League spot. Top 4 would be tough, and a bonus.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The league doesn't matter. Just win a trophy of any nature.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Who cares - just sack Mourinho so we can focus on our future without him.

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
Sure but that fits for about the 1% of players in the world.

There is still a large group of players that are extremely talented that would rather play for Spurs in the CL than play for Everton in the Caribao Cup and EPL. There are players that will come here to play in the CL that will have no interest if we are a constant 10th place team with a couple of Cariboa Cup wins.

Do you honestly think we would bring in the same quality of player if we constantly finished 10th but won every single Caribao Cup versus wining zero Caraibao Cups but constantly top 4?

i mean just based on our financial differences alone it is clear that we are getting better players in the CL scenario.
Same caliber as what though??
That’s my point.
Yes I absolutely believe we could have signed the likes of Sessengon, Ndombele, Aurier, Nkoudou, Sanchez, Clarke, Lo Celso and Moura had we been an EL team with ten straight domestic cups on our back.

Who have we signed who’s so elite all of a sudden? We build all our signings up, they are never finished product who come in and elevate us.
Isn’t that the whole problem at this club?

Now all of a sudden our CL years have built some top core of quality players and we’ve been ripping up the transfer windows every year.
Wtf??

Depends what is meant by expectation.

I am not a fan of Jose football but credit where credit is due he is a winner. I think most Spurs fans have glamour football in their blood so it’s sometimes hard to accept more defensive football such as Graham or AVB.

His arrival was always a trade off between attacking football and success so yes I expect us to be challenging for the league, FA Cup, EL next season, that was the whole point of him being here. If otherwise then it’s a mess.

But here is the thing, we all know the strength of other teams and where we need improvement. To bring in Mourinho and not spend spend spend to challenge for trophies would make us a bit of a laughing stock among other clubs. They would say and with good reason why did you get him in the first place then. Make no mistake this is a huge gamble by Levy and one I would advise you only do with very good backing. If he doesn’t and the team falls short, Mourinho will just say I wasn’t backed and unlike other managers he will make a scene out of it.

There was debate when Mourinho first arrived whether Levy thought the squad was great and just need the stardust of a new manager or whether he accepted it was unbalanced and now was the time for big investment with a big spending achiever. I guess we will see.

The idea that getting Jose in here to win trophies has always been so overrated.

We competed for all those same trophies under Poch as well. Jose isn't any better situated to have us win trophies than we were under Poch if the club still maintains the same transfer philosophy and sub par talent levels.

Mourinho can have won 4,000 trophies in his past and it will mean nothing if we are running out Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Aurier etc.

The idea that Jose has some magic formula to win us trophies with sub-par talent is a fairy tale. Just like everyone else out there is he does not have the players he will not win squat.

The idea that getting Jose in here to win trophies has always been so overrated.

We competed for all those same trophies under Poch as well. Jose isn't any better situated to have us win trophies than we were under Poch if the club still maintains the same transfer philosophy and sub par talent levels.

Mourinho can have won 4,000 trophies in his past and it will mean nothing if we are running out Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Aurier etc.

The idea that Jose has some magic formula to win us trophies with sub-par talent is a fairy tale. Just like everyone else out there is he does not have the players he will not win squat.
Poch did have the team but won squat, lack of self belief from the club and weird tactical decisions did for poch.

The difference is that Poch gets his teams to (semi-)finals and that's nice, but José actually wins silverware. Or at least that's what he has been doing so far in his career.

The man has won 12 of his 14 finals, pretty impressive.

Same caliber as what though??
That’s my point.
Yes I absolutely believe we could have signed the likes of Sessengon, Ndombele, Aurier, Nkoudou, Sanchez, Clarke, Lo Celso and Moura had we been an EL team with ten straight domestic cups on our back.

Who have we signed who’s so elite all of a sudden? We build all our signings up, they are never finished product who come in and elevate us.
Isn’t that the whole problem at this club?

Now all of a sudden our CL years have built some top core of quality players and we’ve been ripping up the transfer windows every year.
Wtf??

The issue seems to be with scouting moreso than the level of player we can sign. Having CL does not mean that you automatically get good players just because you sign them, you still have to do the work to make sure that the players you sign are good.

Compare us to Everton for example they are not getting 60 million players like Ndombele. They have rich owners their big signing last season was Andre Gomes, before that they had Richarlison for 35 million and Mina for 27 million.

And as much as you want to shit on keeping our players, having CL to keep Harry Kane is huge. Having CL to keep our WC winning captain is huge. Keeping a player like Son is good, Being able to have kept players like Eriksen, Toby and Jan in the past again all good and thanks to CL football.

Yes we have lost some of our players like Bale and Modric but look at the attrition of teams like Leicester and Everton for example. We actually have a chance to keep top talents where for them it is a forgone conclusion that players like Mahrez, Chillwell, Maddison, Lukaku etc. are gone.

Poch did have the team but won squat, lack of self belief from the club and weird tactical decisions did for poch.

That certainly is a narrative that some will spout off since its suits their agenda.

I am not sure what weird tactical decisions led to us losing in penalties to Chelsea in the SF last season. I am not sure what tactical decisions had us losing to a better Liverpool in the finals of the CL last season.

The difference is that Poch gets his teams to (semi-)finals and that's nice, but José actually wins silverware. Or at least that's what he has been doing so far in his career.

The man has won 12 of his 14 finals, pretty impressive.

Sure and in how many of those finals were his teams as poor as the team we have now?

If Jose goes to Norwich City should they start clearing out their trophy case to make room for all the silverware they are bringing in because when Jose had a stacked RM or Chelsea team he won finals?

Sure and in how many of those finals were his teams as poor as the team we have now?
Always had a good gameplan and his players were totally up for it when it really mattered, that certainly has something to do with winning all those finals.. Absolutely no reason to think that he can't win for instance the Europa League with Spurs.

Issue is the acceptance of his tenure by many fans is based on a compromise between good football and success, if we end up mid table playing defensive football it won’t wash. That is the danger and that why I am curious to see how much backing he will get from the board, real backing I mean.

To not believe players would join City over us to win the CL is a little like naive

Right. Players are not idiots, they understand that whoever is currently holding a CL place has less to do with success over the course of years than who is a bigger and richer club and who has a better squad of players.

Of course, one thing to note is that players are also younger and less knowledgeable about football trivia and history than most supporters, and are also up close and personal with facilities and personnel and the like when making these decisions.

A 21-year old from a foreign country has very little context of Spurs as a nearly club and a punchline and an ownership group determined not to spend what it takes to win. What they see is a gleaming state of the art stadium and training ground, a squad full of stars they know and have seen on big stages over the last few years, and Jose freakin Mourinho. If the money is right, Spurs are an attractive proposition. If.

Half an half, Poch made those players who they where, he is the best at developing players of a coach I have seen at the club, where as Jose is the master tactician. Without Poch you wouldn’t have had the squad in the first place but your right he doesn’t have Jose ruthless cunning. So for us in our position we needed Poch to build the squad then Jose to play the final, not sure how you work that.

They wasn’t sub par in 2015-18 though
Poch had his chances and blew them all.

Now it’s time to give a proven winner a chance.....with 450M spent on 26 players (as Poch had) Jose will deliver.

Not sure why you think he should have to it with the squad Poch sucked the life out of and destroyed.

With Mourinho in charge?

I'm expecting a trophy and top four.

Simple as that.

If he doesn't achieve that, he goes.

Right. Players are not idiots, they understand that whoever is currently holding a CL place has less to do with success over the course of years than who is a bigger and richer club and who has a better squad of players.

Of course, one thing to note is that players are also younger and less knowledgeable about football trivia and history than most supporters, and are also up close and personal with facilities and personnel and the like when making these decisions.

A 21-year old from a foreign country has very little context of Spurs as a nearly club and a punchline and an ownership group determined not to spend what it takes to win. What they see is a gleaming state of the art stadium and training ground, a squad full of stars they know and have seen on big stages over the last few years, and Jose freakin Mourinho. If the money is right, Spurs are an attractive proposition. If.

It’s cloud cuckoo land to think that if the wages were the same, a young player from say Spain would want to join Spurs over City if his dream was to win the CL

Always had a good gameplan and his players were totally up for it when it really mattered, that certainly has something to do with winning all those finals.. Absolutely no reason to think that he can't win for instance the Europa League with Spurs.

I think he can win the Europa with Spurs, I think Poch could win the Europa with Spurs, I think a lot of managers could win the Europa with Spurs.

That is largely based on the fact that Spurs will likely have a top 4 team in Europa this year not because of anything in particular that Jose will bring to the table.

I think he can win the Europa with Spurs, I think Poch could win the Europa with Spurs, I think a lot of managers could win the Europa with Spurs.

That is largely based on the fact that Spurs will likely have a top 4 team in Europa this year not because of anything in particular that Jose will bring to the table.
It's much more likely with a proven winner in charge instead of a guy who has won fuck all in his career.

It's much more likely with a proven winner in charge instead of a guy who has won fuck all in his career.
Strange mantra creeping in that if Jose doesn’t win something with the stinking leftovers of the 2016 squad then he’s no better than Poch.

The problem with that is they are ignoring the very real probability that Jose would have won us a PL, CL and a couple domestics had he been in charge for those games

They wasn’t sub par in 2015-18 though
Poch had his chances and blew them all.

Now it’s time to give a proven winner a chance.....with 450M spent on 26 players (as Poch had) Jose will deliver.

Not sure why you think he should have to it with the squad Poch sucked the life out of and destroyed.

LOL

I love how it is all on Poch not the actual players in the game. From 20-15-18 they were not the best team in every competition that they were in. It is tough to win trophies that is why so few teams do. Could we have won sure, but we had a lot of bad luck that lost us chances as well as perhaps some faults with Poch but he was hardly close to the main reason we did not win trophies.

The idea that a manager can win in the future with totally different teams in totally different eras just because he won in the past is ridiculous.

You could give Jose a Billion to spend on players and there is zero guarantee he will deliver anything that is the nature of sports.

And Poch didn't suck the life out of anything that was 100% Levy refusing to make the changes the team needed and Poch was begging for.

That certainly is a narrative that some will spout off since its suits their agenda.

I am not sure what weird tactical decisions led to us losing in penalties to Chelsea in the SF last season. I am not sure what tactical decisions had us losing to a better Liverpool in the finals of the CL last season.
Really? Playing son at LB in the FA cup semi final against Chelsea who gave away a pen, then playing an unfit Kane in the CL final whilst the hatrick hero sat on the bench, easiest game Van dyke probably had all season.

Back
Top Bottom