Premier League 20/21 Targets and Expectations.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2020/2021 season target

• Win everything we enter!!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Title challenge and pick up at least 1 trophy.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Top 4 and get to the later stages (at least) of cup competitions.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • Top 4. The cup competition are less important.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Secure a Europa League spot. Top 4 would be tough, and a bonus.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The league doesn't matter. Just win a trophy of any nature.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Who cares - just sack Mourinho so we can focus on our future without him.

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
Of course we’re better off, but it’s a myth playing CL gives you the pick of the bunch.

Otherwise everyone would want to join Dortmund, instead of leave them.

Who said it gets you the pick of the bunch?

Having CL makes it easier to get better talent. There is no argument against that.

Since we are talking about the League Cup as you say young players from other countries don’t know us as well as other teams, they also don’t grow up hoping to win the Caribao Cup, they grow up hoping to play in and win the CL.

Who said it gets you the pick of the bunch?

Having CL makes it easier to get better talent. There is no argument against that.

Since we are talking about the League Cup as you say young players from other countries don’t know us as well as other teams, they also don’t grow up hoping to win the Caribao Cup, they grow up hoping to play in and win the CL.
And winning the CL isn’t one if Spurs strongpoints

Saying that Sissoko was briliant at the Euros is a bit of a stretch.. He made a couple of decent runs down that right hand side, but has always been a non-footballer and that will never change. Great athlete though.

Real promise.
That’s hindsight mate......Mane wasn’t a top player the CL would have elevated us to
No hindsight, pretty much every fan at the time was dissapointed we didnt sign him. Champions league on its own will attract players that have an alternative of no champions league and the same wages elsewhere. It wont attract players that have another champions league team to go to that pay twice as much in salary. Its why we lost out to champions league Liverpool for Mane but beat mid table Everton to Sissoko.

Even the 'experts' get it wrong.

BBC pundits' predictions for the 2019-20 Premier League
Predictor1st2nd3rd4th
Ian WrightLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamWoolwich
Alex ScottLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamWoolwich
Sue SmithLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamWoolwich
Martin KeownLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamWoolwich
Stephen WarnockLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamWoolwich
Danny MurphyLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamMan Utd
Alan ShearerLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamMan Utd
Matthew UpsonLiverpoolMan CityTottenhamChelsea
Ruud GullitMan CityChelseaLiverpoolMan Utd
Karen CarneyMan CityLiverpoolMan UtdWoolwich
Mark SchwarzerMan CityLiverpoolChelseaTottenham
Jermaine JenasMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Paul InceMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Chris SuttonMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Leon OsmanMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Pat NevinMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Michael BrownMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Mark LawrensonMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamWoolwich
Micah RichardsMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamMan Utd
Lindsay JohnsonMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamMan Utd
Kevin KilbaneMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamMan Utd
Rachel Brown-FinnisMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamChelsea
Chris WaddleMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamChelsea
Joleon LescottMan CityLiverpoolTottenhamChelsea

Premier League predictions 2019-20: How accurate were the BBC Sport pundits?

No hindsight, pretty much every fan at the time was dissapointed we didnt sign him. Champions league on its own will attract players that have an alternative of no champions league and the same wages elsewhere. It wont attract players that have another champions league team to go to that pay twice as much in salary. Its why we lost out to champions league Liverpool for Mane but beat mid table Everton to Sissoko.
Every fan was gutted we didn’t sign Bony
Hardly a sign that Mane was a top player in 2016.
We also signed Wanyama that year too......if he had gone to Liverpool and played how he did for us, before his injuries, you’d be saying the exact same thing.
Sometimes, other teams sign players.

You’re taking like Liverpool was Manes consolation prize. It was more than likely his first choice.

And winning the CL isn’t one if Spurs strongpoints

It isn't a strong point of 99.9% of clubs.

I mean there have been what 5 or 6 winners in the past 10-15 years. I'm not even sure you could say it is a strong suit of teams that have won it.

Does 1 win in 12 years mean that winning CL is a strong point of Liverpool?

It isn't a strong point of 99.9% of clubs.

I mean there have been what 5 or 6 winners in the past 10-15 years. I'm not even sure you could say it is a strong suit of teams that have won it.

Does 1 win in 12 years mean that winning CL is a strong point of Liverpool?
No but players don’t come to Spurs to win the CL, they join Real or Utd or Chelsea or even City

At the margin, perhaps. But at the end of the day it is almost entirely a question of money.

The reason clubs in our position prioritize the pursuit of top 4 over the cups is down entirely to the far greater financial reward for doing so. And fans, who have swallowed the notion of revenue generation as the ultimate purpose of a football club hook line and sinker, denigrate the cups accordingly.

It's a shame. And it's weakening the game from the root.

Depends what is meant by expectation.

I am not a fan of Jose football but credit where credit is due he is a winner. I think most Spurs fans have glamour football in their blood so it’s sometimes hard to accept more defensive football such as Graham or AVB.

His arrival was always a trade off between attacking football and success so yes I expect us to be challenging for the league, FA Cup, EL next season, that was the whole point of him being here. If otherwise then it’s a mess.

But here is the thing, we all know the strength of other teams and where we need improvement. To bring in Mourinho and not spend spend spend to challenge for trophies would make us a bit of a laughing stock among other clubs. They would say and with good reason why did you get him in the first place then. Make no mistake this is a huge gamble by Levy and one I would advise you only do with very good backing. If he doesn’t and the team falls short, Mourinho will just say I wasn’t backed and unlike other managers he will make a scene out of it.

There was debate when Mourinho first arrived whether Levy thought the squad was great and just need the stardust of a new manager or whether he accepted it was unbalanced and now was the time for big investment with a big spending achiever. I guess we will see.

No but players don’t come to Spurs to win the CL, they join Real or Utd or Chelsea or even City

Sure but that fits for about the 1% of players in the world.

There is still a large group of players that are extremely talented that would rather play for Spurs in the CL than play for Everton in the Caribao Cup and EPL. There are players that will come here to play in the CL that will have no interest if we are a constant 10th place team with a couple of Cariboa Cup wins.

Do you honestly think we would bring in the same quality of player if we constantly finished 10th but won every single Caribao Cup versus wining zero Caraibao Cups but constantly top 4?

i mean just based on our financial differences alone it is clear that we are getting better players in the CL scenario.

At the margin, perhaps. But at the end of the day it is almost entirely a question of money.

The reason clubs in our position prioritize the pursuit of top 4 over the cups is down entirely to the far greater financial reward for doing so. And fans, who have swallowed the notion of revenue generation as the ultimate purpose of a football club hook line and sinker, denigrate the cups accordingly.

Couldn’t agree more, the likes of City when they first got money and had no CL could buy anyone, same as Chelsea when they had seasons outside the top 4. A few players are CL only, most are money because they like money and they also know that money in the long term means trophies as money attracts top players like shit attracts flies.

I am not so sure about that.

It isn't like the Burnley's, Watford's, WH's of the world are prioritizing Cups and winning those. It is still the top money teams that are winning Cups.

I am not sure how it is fans priorities that are doing anything at all it is the reality of the money available and changes to the CL that make it so you need to be a top 4 Club to have the best shot at winning trophies and maintaining that level of play.

We as fans can prioritize winning the Caribao Cup all we want but I am not sure how that helps when we line up against a much more talented City team that has guys on their bench that would easily start for us. I am not sure how fan support changes the penalty shoot-out result last year in the SF.

Sure but that fits for about the 1% of players in the world.

There is still a large group of players that are extremely talented that would rather play for Spurs in the CL than play for Everton in the Caribao Cup and EPL. There are players that will come here to play in the CL that will have no interest if we are a constant 10th place team with a couple of Cariboa Cup wins.

Do you honestly think we would bring in the same quality of player if we constantly finished 10th but won every single Caribao Cup versus wining zero Caraibao Cups but constantly top 4?

i mean just based on our financial differences alone it is clear that we are getting better players in the CL scenario.
Look at the level of player we have been linked with so far, hardly much to get excited about considering what Chelsea are doing.
I think a lot of fan's are going to be left disappointed by the transition to the new stadium, the cautious tight spending will never change.

Back
Top Bottom