Tottenham v Man Utd (Friday, June 19th)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Plenty of players have asked to be taken off when they have been gassed. Sometimes you realise on the day that you don't have the legs. As hard as you might try coming back from 6 months without play is no easy task.

Of course he gave his best, its the minimum I expect from all players. Also JM has to see his fitness levels. He said himself in the post match interview they had no legs. Which makes it even more crazy that he only used 2/5 subs.
He could have put Sess on LM and moved Son up front. That would have provided Davies with some help, after all their penalty came from our left side.
Hell he could have just put Tanguy up there for 15 minutes, he played there in the practice match last week and can shield the ball, he won't run the channels or anything but at least there is an out ball, instead of being camped on the edge of our box.

This is a reasonable assertion, but on the flipside some competitors just aren't 'wired' that way and will die on their feet before they throw in the towel... That's not "selfishness". In a scenario where one comes out the victor that gets heralded as fortitude.

How many times do we hear people complain of not giving that extra 10% required to drag us over the proverbial line?

This is a reasonable assertion, but on the flipside some competitors just aren't 'wired' that way and will die on their feet before they throw in the towel... That's not "selfishness". In a scenario where one comes out the victor that gets heralded as fortitude.

How many times do we hear people complain of not giving that extra 10% required to drag us over the proverbial line?
Yeah I see that point. If you have seen the Last Dance documentry then certainly you can see some athletes just wouldn't come off.
But I've also seen and worked with players who sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. You just get different mentalities with different individuals. These people would think they are being heroic by sacrificing themselves.

Everyone knows that Kane will stay on even if he is crawling on the pitch. But he then has to make an assertion as to whether that is the right thing to do. Of course JM needs to call it ultimately.

From listening to his post match interview, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry plays the full 90 of all remaining games if available.

I haven’t read through this thread, or even posted on this forum for a while as I’m sure it’s been super negative so I don’t want that to bias my post. My opinion of the match is that it was exactly what I was expecting. I think we were very robust in defence; however, Lloris saved us on two occasions. Our attack was looking somewhat lethargic. Son didn’t want to take on anyone 1 v 1 and Kane was especially allusive. Bergijwn was lively and his goal was well taken although De Gea should have saved. In terms of chances, I think it was fairly even. Son and Martial efforts took monumental efforts from the keepers and Rashfords shot was similar to Bergijwns except Lloris saved his. Man U had the majority of possession which was expected.
I think the big disappointment was seeing Lamela over LoCelso in the starting 11. Obviously there was a fitness issue but time and again Lamela has shown that he cannot lead this teams attack. Numerous times he could have provided a pass that would have led to a goal scoring opportunity but he showed that he wasn’t up to snuff.

The important thing was not losing. I think by drawing we’ve left ourselves a lot to do to get us top 5 but we are still within touching distance. Our defence looked a lot more solid, always sucks to concede via a penalty but I’m optimistic that if we play like today, get Kane up and running and get Lo Celso starting, we can still get CL football. I don’t think Sissoko and Winks is the future of this club. They both played ok but neither had a huge effect on the passage of play. I felt once Lo Celso came on, things started to happen. Still think we have enough quality to get CL but it’s going to be a tough ask. West Ham, Shef United and Everton up next. Really need 3W from 3, no two ways about it.

Yeah I see that point. If you have seen the Last Dance documentry then certainly you can see some athletes just wouldn't come off.
But I've also seen and worked with players who sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. You just get different mentalities with different individuals. These people would think they are being heroic by sacrificing themselves.

Everyone knows that Kane will stay on even if he is crawling on the pitch. But he then has to make an assertion as to whether that is the right thing to do. Of course JM needs to call it ultimately.

From listening to his post match interview, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry plays the full 90 of all remaining games if available.

Yeh, I think ultimately the buck stops with the manager..... I wouldn't want to by other means suppress that kind of competitive spirit.

Now you realise he is an idiot??? This ‘idiot’ has won trophies galore in several counties. I am far, far from being a fan of Mourhino but your diagnosis Dr Spaniel does not stand. We dropped points because of our players. The same players that made Poch look bad. If Pep
or Juergen managed this squad we would still be crap.
No. We dropped points because he didn't make the right substitutions at the right times and didn't use all those available to him. Leaving Kane on was disastrous. Taking Stevie off was pointless. He could have brought on Ndombele which he didn't. Taking off Lamela was stupid. Gedson was a poor choice. I know he's won trophies, we all do but his football thinking is 10 years behind the times. He's past it. End of story.

Now I admit that I didn't see the game and only the highlights but it seems like:
1. Too defensive?
2. Why wasn't ndombele starting?
3. Kane seemed anonymous (symptomatic of his form this year or was it the formation and tactics to blame...I mean seriously who has tactics that negate your own star striker...no way should Maguire be able to keep him quiet )
4. Why is diet playing CD? I'm pretty sure that penalty doesn't happen if an experienced CD is playing...how was his overall game last night?

Love to hear people's thoughts ...

Now I admit that I didn't see the game and only the highlights
See below

1. Too defensive?

Not really - just shit going forward as we had no midfield or strikers on form. Second half we were holding on not to lose

Jose masterclass

3. Kane seemed anonymous (symptomatic of his form this year or was it the formation and tactics to blame...I mean seriously who has tactics that negate your own star striker...no way should Maguire be able to keep him quiet )

I think he was the worst player on the field, even worse than Aurier. Very concerning

4. Why is diet playing CD? I'm pretty sure that penalty doesn't happen if an experienced CD is playing...how was his overall game last night?

Dier had an excellent game actually

Now I admit that I didn't see the game and only the highlights but it seems like:
1. Too defensive?

Love to hear people's thoughts ...
Dier was fantastic last night mate. That was the first time he lost a 1v1 all night & it was a great bit of skill from Pogba to beat him & credit should be acknowledged for it, I’d still make Dier our best player on the night, Bergwijn also.

It was difficult to pick the positives out of last night and watching it on MUTV didn't help. Clearly sky are worried about future subscription from the arm chair brigade.

Soft penalty aside I thought Dier was excellent, bergwein took his goal well and sisokko worked hard. I know he's limited technically but his defensive work breaking up play is something we have missed.

Kane is nowhere near match fit and coupled with Joses defensive approach it's not surprising we created nothing in the second half.

Lo celso needs to be starting, he gave us the creative spark when he came on.

Hopefully lo celso gets more minutes against spam.

Anyone else disgusted by SkySports bias for that game
No ex-Tottenham player and all the analaysis was about United.

Now to my thoughts on the game. Well I don't know what to think , Instead I'll put some Positives and Negatives because right now my feelings is meh. 1 point is probably decent especially given its the first game back and how bad we were previously.
Positives :
- Decent Defending until Dier mistake
- Good individual performances from Lloris and Bergwijn
-Gameplan nearly worked
-Got fitness which is important
-Mourinho didn't really have a bench so he couldn't change the bench
-When you think about it , Mourinho parked the bus to combat their counter-attacking strategy this makes sense.
- A lot better than Pre-COVID
Negatives :
- Another individual error , I'm tired of this.
- Kane and Son were very very poor , saying that they had little service and they just came back from injury
- it was an awful watch.
- Mourinho's team selection wasn't great.
- Midfield got dominated by United's
- For a home game we shouldn't be so defensive.
- Lamela very sloppy
- Mourinho did not use any of his subs well at all , bought of all his attacking players and then concedes , didn't see that one coming.
-No Ndombele
But we have West Ham next and you'd think with Moura and Dele likely to be avialable and there not being a need to player crap football we can play much much better.

Kane hasn’t played for 6 months, what were people expecting? A midfield that can’t pass the ball is more of an issue.
Neither had Pogba until he came on and changed the entire dynamic of the game!!

I honestly thought pre-match that having Son, Bergweign and Kane back would be the difference between now and where we were in March...

Let's not kid ourselves, we were PROPER shit going into the lockdown, and almost certainly would have lost, had we played when the original game was scheduled...
So in that respect, it's a point won!!

Happy days!!!!!!!

Lloris was great but it was only two saves (other statistically listed were more like passbacks). Sorry if that underplays him somewhat but Dier was simply fantastic.
Well if we’re going by that then Bergwijn hasn’t done anything notable except the goal which was a good individual effort but also down to de Gea.

Can’t bear to watch anymore under that stubborn defensive old man. A wealth of attacking talent are slowly having the life sucked out of them. United were there for the taking and mourinho breathed new life into them with his negative tactics, but it’s ok coz V.A.R. Is to blame. Watching Harry Kane being deployed as a defensive midfielder, Heung Min Son being forced to stay out wide or as a covering left back, watching us pass backwards to Hugo so he can smash it long over the heads of all those players who were so creative and potent under poch to a lonesome Harry Kane is driving me nuts.

Mourinho is not the man to take us forward. His time has come and gone.
I can’t listen to him rambling on like a delusional pundit in his post match interviews anymore. Modern football has passed him by and he will bring us nothing but mediocrity. our stadium is one of, if not THE, best in the world and for that I have respect for Daniel Levy but I have always had my doubts about his footballing decisions. Martin Joll has us going in the right direction so Levy sacked him. Redknapp had us going in the right direction so Levy sacked him. Pochettino had us playing at a level that was pleasing to all fans and players alike, so Levy sacks him and takes a gamble on a has been.

We have the facilities to be one of the best teams in the world but we are heading the other way. Although I will never stop supporting spurs I won’t be watching our next game against the hammers coz it’s just not spurs at the moment. Levy needs to swallow his pride and realise that he’s got this one wrong. Pochettino was the right man and should have been supported financially to re-build.

Mourinho out please.
pochettino back please.

Well if we’re going by that then Bergwijn hasn’t done anything notable except the goal which was a good individual effort but also down to de Gea.
Bergwijn ran his socks off last night. He was present in all of our attacks whilst also doing what Jose wants from his attacking wide players and that's trackback and defend. He was utterly relentless in doing this. Positionally he was much better in the build-up than Kane too, with his back to goal some lovely first-time layoffs bringing others into play. Rashford was totally anonymous (with his first-half strike coming from Sanchez's only error) due to his contribution.

It was difficult to pick the positives out of last night and watching it on MUTV didn't help. Clearly sky are worried about future subscription from the arm chair brigade.

Soft penalty aside I thought Dier was excellent, bergwein took his goal well and sisokko worked hard. I know he's limited technically but his defensive work breaking up play is something we have missed.

Kane is nowhere near match fit and coupled with Joses defensive approach it's not surprising we created nothing in the second half.

Lo celso needs to be starting, he gave us the creative spark when he came on.

Hopefully lo celso gets more minutes against spam.
Agree with that largely apart from the Lo Celso bit creating, we didn't create anything in the 2nd half, I think we were content with that right up to their first subs, when the dynamic and tempo of the game were lifted in UTD's favour.

This doesn't mean I don't want to see Lo Celso on, I absolutely do as he's an energetic and versatile player (can play deep and progress the ball and link well up top too), but last night specifically not sure what he brought to us in terms of creativity (but it's harder to create when your forwards are gassed and are no longer pressing and we sit deeper and deeper as a result).

Back
Top Bottom