Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw 3 of the 4 games Cluj played against Celtic and thought they looked a decent side, are they just the best of a bad bunch ? Celtic kind of shot themselves in the foot with an odd team selection in the CL 2nd leg when Cluj won 4-3. Rondon and Djokovic were the players that I remember most.
Decent result against Sevilla last night.

Cluj are a bit better. There's a reason why they're top of the league. There are 3-4 teams in the league that rise above the rest, but those in the bottom half are truly abysmal. The teams that do get to play European football give it their all because that's where most of their money comes from, so it's in their best interest to get a result and remain in the competition. The games that are played in the Romanian league are of a much lower quality. The pace of the league is at a Sunday league level compared to the PL. I don't want to get controversial now, but there's a chance some of the games might still be fixed - it used to happen in the past frequently. There are games that are definitely fixed in the lower tiers.

Cluj also played in the CL some years back and ended up third in their group with 10 points (really unlucky not to qualify) - they also beat Manure at Old Trafford that year. Romanian team were better during that time. Now the level of football has decreased by quite a margin.

Cluj are a bit better. There's a reason why they're top of the league. There are 3-4 teams in the league that rise above the rest, but those in the bottom half are truly abysmal. The teams that do get to play European football give it their all because that's where most of their money comes from, so it's in their best interest to get a result and remain in the competition. The games that are played in the Romanian league are of a much lower quality. The pace of the league is at a Sunday league level compared to the PL. I don't want to get controversial now, but there's a chance some of the games might still be fixed - it used to happen in the past frequently. There are games that are definitely fixed in the lower tiers.

Cluj also played in the CL some years back and ended up third in their group with 10 points (really unlucky not to qualify) - they also beat Manure at Old Trafford that year. Romanian team were better during that time. Now the level of football has decreased by quite a margin.
I remember them now you mention it when they were in Man Utd’s group, 10 points and not qualifying is harsh as you say.
I know there were always rumours of match fixing in the old Eastern bloc countries, but the Stauea Bucharest side that won the 1986 (?) European Cup were pretty impressive.

I know there were always rumours of match fixing in the old Eastern bloc countries, but the Stauea Bucharest side that won the 1986 (?) European Cup were pretty impressive.

There are some who argue they had a good draw that helped them along the way, but I wouldn't want to diminish their merit. Some of the players they fielded in that final are much better than any playing in the Romanian league today.

There are some who argue they had a good draw that helped them along the way, but I wouldn't want to diminish their merit. Some of the players they fielded in that final are much better than any playing in the Romanian league today.
Huge achievement for a Romanian side to win the European Cup, regardless of their route to the final, they also beat Barcelona in Spain. They lost heavily but again reaching the final a couple if seasons later (AC Milan ?) proved what a good side they were.
The one player I recall most clearly was the sweeper Belododici, didn’t he play for Red Star when they won the trophy in 1991 ?

Huge achievement for a Romanian side to win the European Cup, regardless of their route to the final, they also beat Barcelona in Spain. They lost heavily but again reaching the final a couple if seasons later proved what a good side they were.
The one player I recall most clearly was the sweeper Belododici, didn’t he play for Red Star when they won the trophy in 1991 ?

You're correct. He won it with Red Star in 1991. That's quite an achievement. He was a top player, hands down.

You're correct. He won it with Red Star in 1991. That's quite an achievement. He was a top player, hands down.
He was such a great player Caucescu found him guilty of treason when he defected to Yugoslavia and signed for Red Star. I think he was eligible to play for Yugoslavia due to his family roots also but obviously chose Romania.

He was such a great player Caucescu found him guilty of treason when he defected to Yugoslavia and signed for Red Star. I think he was eligible to play for Yugoslavia due to his family roots also but obviously chose Romania.

Yes, those were tough times for most people, quality football players included. A lot of them wanted to leave and play abroad, but weren't allowed to. Hagi could have left during that time as many top clubs wanted him, but he had to wait until 1990 to do so.

LOL...actually I support Valencia in La Liga. And Getafe ran roughshod over them 2 weeks ago (the shithousing c***s). I watch them when I can just to enjoy the 90 minutes of shithousery. But I would like to point out that they do play football and don't park the bus at all. That's what's so brilliant about their play. they defend the length of the pitch which was quite upsetting to Ajax. This is not Simeone ball which is a slog to me.

but yeah, this summer we will see his name bandied about fromfolks unfamiliar with his game but will recognize his name. Happens every year just like with players.
I support Valencia too. Yes, I had a feeling getafe didnt really have any stand out stars.
Atletico Madrid are a slog to watch. Very good at that side of the game but maybe simeone's gone too far 1 way & neglecting the attacking side of the game. Seems like things are starting to go a bit stale there like it did with us. Be interesting to see if getafe keep it up or the smaller type squad kicks in & they dip.

giphy.gif

Nice goal in the Betis-Mallorca match scored by 147 year old Joaquin. He was released into space and interestingly beat fatty Fekir upfield. Didn't know you could still have wheels at that age.

Wow, watching the BVB game and they seem to have some pep in their step even though they also had a midweek game. They also seem to be able to control a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom