Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind them playing a few more games in the Europa and achieving nothing in the end. Would feel better if they went out now though.
We still play them at home just after the quarter-finals of the EL so I wouldn't really mind if they go through and eventually lose to a side like Inter, Sevilla or.... Wolves!

Last edited:
Hagi has more or less secured his permanent transfer to Rangers with this game.

Would do him a lot of good if he established himself there. I think he is a few years behind with his development and I'm still not on board the hype train with him. He still has all to prove imo.

Would do him a lot of good if he established himself there. I think he is a few years behind with his development and I'm still not on board the hype train with him. He still has all to prove imo.
His move to Genk was weird. Scored in his debut. Scored in his second game. Then nothing.

His move to Genk was weird. Scored in his debut. Scored in his second game. Then nothing.

I thought it was a good move at that time. I really don't know what went wrong. The thing is, players leaving from the Romanian league are almost never physically prepared to play in a top league. One might expect Belgium to not be overly demanding, but it still represents quite a difference from where he came. So there's also this to factor in I guess...

So Scott, how's this plan going for ya thus far?

edit: first attempt on goal for your boys...Ziyech free kick so it was actually a shoss
Ha ha. It hit a bit of a snag with getafe defending well & keeping a clean sheet. Only 2 shots & not a single 1 on target compounded my misery. They looked very impressive. It was mentioned that they are 3rd in liga. So they obviously doing something right. Any players to look out for or who would improve us? or is their success more down to good coaching/management & the old 'sum of its parts'?

2-0 to Getafe. Where have all the Ajax fans from last season gone? Why is no one watching this masterclass from a coach that actually coaches both sides of the game FFS. Ten Hag has no idea what has hit him.
In about 6months getafe & their coach will be the 'in thing' & very popular. You spotted it early. So it will be like a small band that you like & barely anyone else likes or heard of. Then they blow up & become big & popular, & everyone is raving about them. You will become bitter & start telling anyone who listens that you liked them before they got big. All the newbie fans & media attention they get will put you off them. & you will stick to enjoying their early stuff before they became mainstream.

Ha ha. It hit a bit of a snag with getafe defending well & keeping a clean sheet. Only 2 shots & not a single 1 on target compounded my misery. They looked very impressive. It was mentioned that they are 3rd in liga. So they obviously doing something right. Any players to look out for or who would improve us? or is their success more down to good coaching/management & the old 'sum of its parts'?
LOL...We were 'linked' with Djene about 3 years ago. that's about when I started watching as I had seen a game (vs Valencia or Barca or RM) but wasn't really paying attention to Getafe but heard his name every 10 seconds. The journo link came a couple weeks later and it sparked my attention. He has calmed down since but at that time was quite rash but very active. Probably too small for CB in the PL.

That Cucurella kid is good but i think he's Barca. And Maksimovic was let go by Valencia (idiots) and is having a nice season. but mostly it's a sum>parts situation based on Bordalas. He gets everything from his players.

Get ready for more of the same next week. Especially after some Ajax players were ungracious in their post-games.

In about 6months getafe & their coach will be the 'in thing' & very popular. You spotted it early. So it will be like a small band that you like & barely anyone else likes or heard of. Then they blow up & become big & popular, & everyone is raving about them. You will become bitter & start telling anyone who listens that you liked them before they got big. All the newbie fans & media attention they get will put you off them. & you will stick to enjoying their early stuff before they became mainstream.
LOL...actually I support Valencia in La Liga. And Getafe ran roughshod over them 2 weeks ago (the shithousing c***s). I watch them when I can just to enjoy the 90 minutes of shithousery. But I would like to point out that they do play football and don't park the bus at all. That's what's so brilliant about their play. they defend the length of the pitch which was quite upsetting to Ajax. This is not Simeone ball which is a slog to me.

but yeah, this summer we will see his name bandied about fromfolks unfamiliar with his game but will recognize his name. Happens every year just like with players.

Bordalas is Simeone 2.0. He's moved out of the shit house and into the crap castle.

I thought it was a good move at that time. I really don't know what went wrong. The thing is, players leaving from the Romanian league are almost never physically prepared to play in a top league. One might expect Belgium to not be overly demanding, but it still represents quite a difference from where he came. So there's also this to factor in I guess...
The Romanian league is bollocks mate. Completely crap. I think we’re one level above the likes of Latvia, Estonia, Belarus who are basically the bottom of the barrel. We’re barely competitive in Europe in a decade, this year CFR Cluj has scrapped through a very competitive group imo so at least sort of knowing what they’re doing. The rest of them are below the sea level.
Doesn’t help that the league is corrupt to its bone, also a lot of the traditional clubs got in massive financial troubles and were sent to the lower leagues, this led to some supporters losing their interest in football, we don’t have any proper training facilities to develop our kids properly, we don’t even have academies.

Add to this what I suspect to be an attitude issue and of course the players don’t adapt abroad. I believe they either believe too much in their own hype or they just stop all the hard work/motivation once they secure a pretty nice contract.

Hopefully the new wave of kids that qualified for the U21 Euro semis have a different mindset to the generation of players that played through the last decade but I doubt it.
Scottish league is about the right level for Hagi.

The Romanian league is bollocks mate. Completely crap. I think we’re one level above the likes of Latvia, Estonia, Belarus who are basically the bottom of the barrel. We’re barely competitive in Europe in a decade, this year CFR Cluj has scrapped through a very competitive group imo so at least sort of knowing what they’re doing. The rest of them are below the sea level.
Doesn’t help that the league is corrupt to its bone, also a lot of the traditional clubs got in massive financial troubles and were sent to the lower leagues, this led to some supporters losing their interest in football, we don’t have any proper training facilities to develop our kids properly, we don’t even have academies.

Add to this what I suspect to be an attitude issue and of course the players don’t adapt abroad. I believe they either believe too much in their own hype or they just stop all the hard work/motivation once they secure a pretty nice contract.

Hopefully the new wave of kids that qualified for the U21 Euro semis have a different mindset to the older generations but I seriously doubt it.
Scottish league is about the right level for Hagi.

I believe you're spot on with the assessment. The few good players we have are sometimes overhyped just because they rise over a standard that is set too low in a league where some of the players don't even look like professional footballers... it's a joke, really.

Some of them do have the talent to play in a better league, but few of them ever turn out to be a success. In the end, I think it's a combination of many: wrong attitude, paycheck assured, not being up to it physically or just being overhyped. Another problem is their agents who are just looking for the move who makes them the most money and not the one that is better suited for their client. I know this can be said as a general thing in football, but combine this with all the previous stuff I mentioned and you get a really bad mix.

I believe you're spot on with the assessment. The few good players we have are sometimes overhyped just because they rise over a standard that is set too low in a league where some of the players don't even look like professional footballers... it's a joke, really.

Some of them do have the talent to play in a better league, but few of them ever turn out to be a success. In the end, I think it's a combination of many: wrong attitude, paycheck assured, not being up to it physically or just being overhyped. Another problem is their agents who are just looking for the move who makes them the most money and not the one that is better suited for their client. I know this can be said as a general thing in football, but combine this with all the previous stuff I mentioned and you get a really bad mix.
I saw 3 of the 4 games Cluj played against Celtic and thought they looked a decent side, are they just the best of a bad bunch ? Celtic kind of shot themselves in the foot with an odd team selection in the CL 2nd leg when Cluj won 4-3. Rondon and Djokovic were the players that I remember most.
Decent result against Sevilla last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom