Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's just a different approach ....

I see ENIC having taken us from mid-table no money mediocrity to top six with a comparable income to all but the very richest ... us going from West Ham level to Woolwich level as a huge step up ... others just see us not closing the gap with Liverpool, Utd and City and thus ENIC are a bunch of cunts ....

Same goes on the pitch, the mid-table average teams of the nineties having been gradually replaced to where we now have a consistent top six squad rather than a top ten squad with the odd good cup run ... others see better teams than us (which there are) so therefore we are shit ... we may not be the best but we are a whole lot better than we were.

It's classic glass half-full or glass half-empty stuff ...

I make no apology for ranting at the negativity, it serves no purpose at all on here or in life .... if you want to make a point then list possible strikers we can sign, that's a positive response, just stating the obvious "we would be better with another 100m striker" honestly how does that actually help?
What the fuck are you going on about now?

Have you even read my stance on how I think the Club is doing, it's the direction of travel? I think you have me confused with someone else.

I made only comments on the game last night, nothing else. You unleashed an angry vile rant on me personally for my opinion on the game. There is nothing "classic half-full or half-empty" going on, last night we were shit. I'm extremely positive about the club. These two opinions aren't mutually exclusive. If I say we were shit last night it doesn't mean I'm down on the club, it means we played shit last night.

I gave my opinion, I've made subsequent posts and had shared other thoughts with other posters in the match thread and in other threads, all expanding around my opinion on the game last night, which also addresses our stickers! I've kept it only to the game last night. Do you have me confused with someone else? Where the fuck have I said "we would be better with another 100m striker" are you lying or are you just drunk and confused? I've made no such comment.

Fucking hell this is hard work.

Which player was available in 2019 who was Dembele quality?

Why make stuff up about LLorente? that just makes you look a bit forgetful, I think we all have very false memories of Llorente based on a couple of CL games, the reality is he was bloody useless most of the time, certainly in the EPL he barely bothered the back off the net.

Llorente 2017/18 EPL played 16 Goals 1, Assists 0
Llorente 2018/19 EPL played 20 Goals 1, Assists 4

IMMENSE .... now was that your word?

Compare his actual contribution to Lucas, Son or Dele and which ones would you start with every time?

Llorente was a lanky lump that was just there simply to hold the ball and feed others not to score goals (sadly thats what it came to when we failed to buy a proper striker in the last few seasons!). That is why Son and moura did so well. Now we dont have that. Son and lucus are not strikers and we lose something from their game lumping balls up to them and hoping they can do it all. as we can see when moura is up on his own, he rarely there first, even if it lands to him, there is no one running off him. Begs the question why we continued to hoof it long rather then play out from the back.

What the fuck are you going on about now?

Have you even read my stance on how I think the Club is doing, it's the direction of travel? I think you have me confused with someone else.

I made only comments on the game last night, nothing else. You unleashed an angry vile rant on me personally for my opinion on the game. There is nothing "classic half-full or half-empty" going on, last night we were shit. I'm extremely positive about the club. These two opinions aren't mutually exclusive. If I say we were shit last night it doesn't mean I'm down on the club, it means we played shit last night.

I gave my opinion, I've made subsequent posts and had shared other thoughts with other posters in the match thread and in other threads, all expanding around my opinion on the game last night, which also addresses our stickers! I've kept it only to the game last night. Do you have me confused with someone else? Where the fuck have I said "we would be better with another 100m striker" are you lying or are you just drunk and confused? I've made no such comment.

Fucking hell this is hard work.
I can concur that we were indeed shit last night there can be no argument.

I haven't seen anybody suggesting we sign a £100 million striker. Not one.

The ones we were linked win were all under the £30 million mark.

One in particular would have cost £22 million and was desperate to come but we refused to go over £14 million

Vedat Muriqi would have been cheaper at around £20 million. Lots of other names mentioned.

Why didn't we have a list of possibles when it was clear we were losing Llorente? Someone we could bring in with a minimum of fuss when the extent of Kane's injury was obvious? Why was there no contingency plan?

You were one of those saying it was paramount that we bring in a striker while the window was still open, one of those who rowed way back on that when it became clear we weren't going to. Why?
Spot on.

And now we can reap what we have sown for an appalling lack of strategy in the striking department. It's embarrassing given the size and stature of our club and it will mean our season is finished early. Still as long as the club is making money....

Spot on.

And now we can reap what we have sown for an appalling lack of strategy or rather lack of it in the striking department. It's embarrassing given the size and stature of our club and it will mean our season is finished early. Still as long as the club is making money....
And or not becoming a Leeds an important factor to consider here.

Not sure we did mate. Hard to take, but missing big time up front.
There was the black guy

white guy with a big round head

other than that I couldn’t tell them apart

all looked the fucking same

oh the keeper but that’s only because he had a stupidly big forehead ... put a normal size forehead on him and he’d have blended in just the same

Lots of talk about a striker. Do people genuinely believe we would have outplayed and beaten these guys yesterday with Giroud or Ighalo up top? I’m not excusing our lack of proactivity in the market but it isn’t why we lost.

Although it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing.

Imagine going into January with no fit goalkeepers then rather than sign one we try wing it through the season with Jan or a Toby in goal?

I'm absolutely convinced there would be some on here that would try to justify it.

Last edited:
As much as not having a dedicated #9 in the squad hurts our attacking options, I'm not sure it would have made a difference last night for the first 60 minutes. When Ndombele and Lamela came on we were able to control possession in the midfield and progress the ball.

We had 12 shots with 5 on target. The last 30 minutes we basically created as many chances as RBL had the first 60. My concern is that Gedson/Winks seems to be a bit lost in terms of how to defense against RBL - that's what led to most of the chances in the first half.

Yep we play like that last 20 we can do them. They tired so badly but fuck me if we had a striker we would of had 2 tonight.

Plenty to play for COYS
Any striker ?

our 2 main strikers both got injured

Was the Milan reserve finger banger seriously the difference last night ??

this Werner valued at 60-80m by all accounts done fuck all aside the pen other than bottle a sitter

why would a bang average striker have made the blindest bit of difference

It’s not a thin argument.
He missed a sitter at 0-0. I called it an open goal, boo fucking hoo.

Instead of talking about the game, you still want to talk shit.
Passive aggressive is worse than just aggressive.

Stop hiding from the clear fact you want a silly argument on the internet. That’s fine, just no need to pretend you’re better than anyone else.
He makes a forward run to where he wants the cross

the cross is whipped in at reasonable pace

but if you look it’s not quite in line with where he can make the right connection

the trajectories are just off

you can then see he tries to arch / twist / manoeuvre to get his head on it

he can’t do it

it was not by any means a sitter but in real-time it’s easy to mistake it may have appeared so

Last edited:
Though other thing that hurt my eyes was our style of play at times. Not tactics but just approach to playing.

Penalty situation was brilliant example. When the cross came in, Davies was watching and waiting the ball to reach him. Leipzig player for a change actually MOVED TOWARDS the ball to put him in better position. And Davies was totally caught off guard, panicked and conceded stupid penalty.

Thought such scenario repeated quite often all around the pitch as well. We were static and waiting for the ball to reach us, while Leipzig players reacted quicker and with more aggressiveness and actually won the ball.

Worrying.
I think you're right
Many times. and not just yesterday. I have watched opponents moving the ball around whilst we just stand and watch. The talent we have must be proactive, not reactive. Movement off the ball is so important. Get in faster and don't allow the space and time for them to think and set up. That I thought was our problem last night. They started very fast and we stood and watched. As was previously pointed out. their goal came from a penalty. not great play
The last 30 minutes or so showed we have the beating of them but we NEVER play 90 minutes that way and we must. We have the talent but seem to be lacking the grit and determination. And the long ball over the top!!???
We have so much talent in midfield, we should be playing through the field. especially as Hugo (my MotM) prefers to roll the ball to the nearest player.
The last point is that clearly Lucas is too short to be a 9. I don't have an answer for this with our present lack of strikers but he is never going to win the ball in the air consistently. I think we must bring on Parrot and see what transpired. He can always be substituted.

Lloris (7)
Aurier (4)
Toby (5)
Sanchez (5)
Davies (4)
Winks (6)
Lo Celso (8.5)
Gedson (6)
Moura (5)
Dele (5)
Bergwijn (5)

Lamela (7.5)
Ndombele (6.5)

This is how i feel the players fare last night.
At some moment in the game i felt a bit confused as to how we cant seem to control game with the talents that we got.
Im just hoping Jose really understand the situation and not underestimating our potential.
We need our attacking players to be much braver. To go shoulder to shoulder with defenders.
Such a difficult situation indeed. But if we could pass around and control the match a little bit more, we could probably rest and rotate our front line.

But i do worry we wont be able to score goals against any team that played with 3 center backs. We are only gonna get outmuscled, and their box stayed relatively sterile.

I mostly agree with you ratings, except I thought Toby and Dav did fine, perhaps a 6.5. I also think Winksy did well - he was active and all over the pitch. A 7 for me.

GLC was the best player on the pitch. That lad can control the fucking ball. Superb skills.

Lamela had some balls, guile, and desire. If half the team had his character we would crush our opponents most games through sheer force of will.

Any striker ?

our 2 main strikers both got injured

Was the Milan reserve finger banger seriously the difference last night ??

this Werner valued at 60-80m by all accounts done fuck all aside the pen other than bottle a sitter

why would a bang average striker have made the blindest bit of difference

Son ain't a striker never will be. And Piatek wasn't my first choice but I'm sure he would have scored that chance Moura missed last night

Son ain't a striker never will be. And Piatek wasn't my first choice but I'm sure he would have scored that chance Moura missed last night
Son ain’t a striker never will be .... have a think first

you seen his record when he fills in for Harry ?

son is the bollox as a striker

empirical and statistical evidence both prove this

and you’re sure the finger bangers renowned movement would have got him there in the first instance?

Are you mad?

Aurier makes such fundamental mistakes. How many times does this guy:

1) Head the ball towards the top of the box when he is defending in his own half
2) Pass the ball to the middle in front of the box with the other team’s players around that area

in a single game?

He makes many very basic mental errors consistently

honestly i think mourinho setting this team up wrong setting us up defensively does not make us defend any better truth being told. i'm sorry to say it my frenz but we need to possess the ball more to become an effective team. 2 in midfield cannot work, dembele was the best midfielder in the world when it came to holding possession he is an unique talent. play three ball players in midfield. City doesnt have really good defenders but beacuse they have possesion all the time the defense is rarely under pressure

Aurier makes such fundamental mistakes. How many times does this guy:

1) Head the ball towards the top of the box when he is defending in his own half
2) Pass the ball to the middle in front of the box with the other team’s players around that area

in a single game?

He makes many very basic mental errors consistently
Have to say that was the Aurier of old. Poor in every department

he’d raised his game but that improvement needs to be the norm because he was not good yesterday

I can't stand the clickbait punditry at ESPN, seriously probably the worst group I have ever listened to. But it's well worth skipping all the studio turds and just jumping to Leboeuf, who nails it and is completely authentic, also having played under Jose in one of his best-ever periods as a manager makes his comments worth listening to.

I agree. We have very talented players, even with the injuries. We can díctate more of the game while defending well.

NO. Nononono.
Our biggest issue is that we are not able to control midfield if our lives depended on it.

Yesterday Kane would have been very very comfortably marked out of the game. We could not move the ball through their midfield block quickly, as we did not have a player to dribble/run/pass the ball past one or two of their midfielders - even Ndombele only rarely offered it at the end of the game.

And as a result of that whenever ball reached our attacking players, they were marked by 2-4 Leipzig defenders. Kane would not dribble through whole defense on his own, don't create such an illusion.

We desperately needed someone like Dembele or even fit Wanyama or ... well fit Ndombele (which we not see this season, I have accepted that already) on the field. So we'd have someone who could hold on to the ball under pressure and break the lines. None of our CM's managed to do that (though Lo Celso was closest to it)...

So are you honestly saying that right now, based on how our squad looks with its injuries and all etc that you think a DM is a greater priority than a FWD?

Long term a DM is crucial yes but we have depth that can cover in Winks, Dier, Skipp etc, we have outs.

We keep getting injuries every season to Kane, this must be the 3rd or 4th season in a row where our season is at risk of getting derailed because of an injury to him. Sadly as it stands our team would massively benefit from a new forward ahead of any other signing made. Long term perhaps things are different but we can't risk another situation like the one we've seen time and time again

Back
Top Bottom