Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Theres no way we will sign all those players in one window

We will get 3 or 4 with some of those not ready for action.

But some people like Sessengnon will improve for next season and be like a new signing.

With a £100m budget plus anything made from sales we definitely could do something impressive in the summer that properly sets us up:

Aarons - £30m
Upamecano - £50m
Eze - £15m
Soumare & Osimhen - £80m combined

£175m spent before sales.

Flog the likes of Walker-Peters, Rose, Foyth, Dier, Wanyama and we wouldn't be far off of a net spend of £100m. Obviously it all depends on the outs and the money available.

With a £100m budget plus anything made from sales we definitely could do something impressive in the summer that properly sets us up:

Aarons - £30m
Upamecano - £50m
Eze - £15m
Soumare & Osimhen - £80m combined

£175m spent before sales.

Flog the likes of Walker-Peters, Rose, Foyth, Dier, Wanyama and we wouldn't be far off of a net spend of £100m. Obviously it all depends on the outs and the money available.

Theres no way we will get Aarons, Soumare, Eze, Upamecano and Osimhen. When have we every bought all our top targets?

Whether we have the money or not is irrelevant. It takes levy ages to do a deal unless its a bargain.

Theres no bargains to be had with Upamecano and Soumare. They are hot property.

Im not pesimistic, Im sure we will have a competitive squad come August. But to sign all those no problem is a bit far fetched.

Who knows who we will and wont sign? Levy vs the player vs the chairman vs agents vs Jose vs other clubs. It is a crap shoot.

All I do know is that itk will be flowing and it will be a roller coaster ride. I love it and look forward to relaxing my "don't click on clickbait" rules.

Theres no way we will get Aarons, Soumare, Eze, Upamecano and Osimhen. When have we every bought all our top targets?

Whether we have the money or not is irrelevant. It takes levy ages to do a deal unless its a bargain.

Im not pesimistic, Im sure we will have a competitive squad come August. But to sign all those no problem is a bit far fetched.

Obviously I don't envisage signing a bunch like the one highlighted as being plain sailing but all play for lesser clubs, all are attainable and when we look at how much we spent last summer and the fact we clearly need at least 3 from that group (RB, DM, FWD) along with a CB should Foyth and Jan go which seems more likely than not, the only other slot I, dubious about is an Eriksen replacement.

Personally I think we'll sign 4 players. I think that would set us up depth wise extremely well. I think 5 is pushing it, 3 the bare minimum to take progressive steps etc.

Last edited:
Swap Sanchez and Foyth for Meccano and a bit of change= OK for me.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...lwich-upamecano-missed-players-messi-ronaldo/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...o-premier-league-transfer-Woolwich-tottenham/

Summer 2019 :)

Alastair Gold wrote in a Q&A: “Neither Trippier nor Llorente were replaced in the summer or in January so Spurs need a new right-back and striker in the summer. Mourinho is unlikely to accept another transfer window with (sic) a forward added to his club.

“A new defensive midfielder will be on the shopping list, with (Victor) Wanyama likely to finally move on, and the club are expected to look for another playmaker to ease the burden now on (Giovani) Lo Celso as their (Christian) Eriksen replacement.

“If Jan Vertonghen cannot agree a new deal then he will also have to be replaced with another experienced defender.

“That’s five big key positions in the team and with the six players already signed, that would constitute the major squad overhaul (Mauricio) Pochettino first called for almost two years ago.”

Much of this may, of course, rest on the club’s quest to qualify for the Champions League.

So he reckons a RB, FWD, DM, AM & CB. Pretty much what all of us have been thinking along the lines of.

Aarons, Upamecano, Soumare, Osimhen, Eze? I wonder how close our dealings will be to looking like that if true

A press resistant 6 is the obvious priority. But I think a LB is a massive priority after that. Aurier's a bit bonkers but at least he's dynamic, gets up and down with intent - yes an upgrade would be great but our LB situation is much more concerning - we haven't had a serviceable one all season. Lately reduced to playing a rookie RCB as LB, we've been so imbalanced. Injury issues with Davies aside, he's always done an OK job, but we need more than OK in such a pivotal position, especially if Mou doesn't last long and we get a coach that needs a more proactive and dynamic LB - like most modern coaches and system's do.

Alastair Gold wrote in a Q&A: “Neither Trippier nor Llorente were replaced in the summer or in January so Spurs need a new right-back and striker in the summer. Mourinho is unlikely to accept another transfer window with (sic) a forward added to his club.

“A new defensive midfielder will be on the shopping list, with (Victor) Wanyama likely to finally move on, and the club are expected to look for another playmaker to ease the burden now on (Giovani) Lo Celso as their (Christian) Eriksen replacement.

“If Jan Vertonghen cannot agree a new deal then he will also have to be replaced with another experienced defender.

“That’s five big key positions in the team and with the six players already signed, that would constitute the major squad overhaul (Mauricio) Pochettino first called for almost two years ago.”

Much of this may, of course, rest on the club’s quest to qualify for the Champions League.

So he reckons a RB, FWD, DM, AM & CB. Pretty much what all of us have been thinking along the lines of.

Aarons, Upamecano, Soumare, Osimhen, Eze? I wonder how close our dealings will be to looking like that if true
Thanks for posting this. This 'new' info/reporting goes against some of the narratives that have popped up and supports many of the echoes from previous TWs about needing new players. It's good to see Poch wanted/saw it as well. Too bad we didn't get it when it could have been best utilized to prevent things like this season. Makes one wonder why it never occurred.

Bookmarked!

Thanks for posting this. This 'new' info/reporting goes against some of the narratives that have popped up and supports many of the echoes from previous TWs about needing new players. It's good to see Poch wanted/saw it as well. Too bad we didn't get it when it could have been best utilized to prevent things like this season. Makes one wonder why it never occurred.

Bookmarked!

Tricky one really. Rebuilds can't happen all at once and we did commit to around £150m worth of newbies last summer and if Gedson goes permanent a further £70m or so the last window.

I personally think that Poch lost sight of the incremental rebuild requirements for such a huge outlay. No fault of his own as the rebuild was big but if we do require a further 3-5 then we needed to be agile enough to deal with that. When Poch spoke of the rebuild being painful and that he would have left the club if we had won the Champions League in all honesty do you think that screamed long term to the chairman and the players?

A further £100m-£150m worth probably required to be a force, that's a hell of a lot of money to let someone making noises about getting out to be given. It's a shame but ultimately I think the club was right. I think it needed new hands on it, a new set of eyes managerially.

Back
Top Bottom