Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok but he started yesterday and scored. If Poch had seen what you had seen and not started him he would've got pelters, even if he explained the reasons post match.

I would say that more players have flourished under Poch than not, including Dembele himself. So who's to say that Poch's training didn't make him a better player and possibly prolong his career, considering that many thought his career might be over early due to an old hip injury

Here's an interview with the nutritionist we employed.
Spurs nutritionist on working with Poch, 'fierce' Jesus Perez & changing Kane

Sounds good dude, except this:

"I was with Spurs until the end of the 2016/17 season. I was pretty gutted to move on, it's just the nature of the beast," he explained. "It was really good fun. They brought in three new nutritionists, which is good and shows how important they see that area."

Who did we see or hear from after this? Thought Bournemouth looked good last season in fitness terms.

We saw an escalation of injury and fatigue, as each season happened.

I agreed the methodology worked, especially in the short term (when the guy you linked was there), but after this we saw a decline especially 18-19 and 19-Poch being fired...

Kane hired his own nutrition guy late 17-18...

Think the new team were not savvy enough about accumulation of residues, such as Uric acid (purine dietary amounts), especially when you combine it with high intensity training (much higher likelihood of impact incidents, which potentially lock residues around joints until the repair of injury/small knocks are complete...). Though obviously speculation.

Last edited:
Sounds good dude, except this:

"I was with Spurs until the end of the 2016/17 season. I was pretty gutted to move on, it's just the nature of the beast," he explained. "It was really good fun. They brought in three new nutritionists, which is good and shows how important they see that area."

Who did we see or hear from after this? Thought Bournemouth looked good last season in fitness terms.

We saw an escalation of injury and fatigue, as each season happened.

I agreed the methodology worked, especially in the short term (when the guy you linked was there), but after this we saw a decline especially 18-19 and 19-Poch being fired...

Kane hired his own nutrition guy late 17-18...

Think the new team were not savvy enough about accumulation of residues, such as Uric acid (purine dietary amounts), especially when you combine it with high intensity training (much higher likelihood of impact incidents, which potentially lock residues around joints until the repair of injury/small knocks are complete...). Though obviously speculation.
Hannah Sheridan is our performance nutritionist, I'd be interested on your thoughts on this.

Here's one that came from late 17:

October 4th 2017

Harry Kane is in the shape of his life and the form of the life, with 13 goals in his last eight matches for England and Tottenham Hotspur. It might look easy from afar but Kane said it is down to him working harder than ever, especially on his diet and recovery at home, away from the structured environment of the training grounds and team hotels.

Specifically, Kane has employed a personal chef, who is an expert in sports nutrition, who comes to his house six days a week to prepare healthy food. Kane says that is why he is quicker, stronger and leaner than ever now, better at holding off defenders, and even why he recovered quicker than expected from his ankle ligament injury sustained back in March.

However, he then suffers this:

17/18Ankle InjuryMar 12, 2018Apr 1, 201820 days2
17/18Knee InjuryNov 6, 2017Nov 14, 20178 days-
17/18Hamstring InjuryOct 23, 2017Oct 30, 20177 days2

Of course over playing is one thing, but Messi and Ronaldo manage about 700 games a season each...

Why did he need a recovery expert work on him at home with Nutrition and Recovery, why wasn't that club led...? They had 3 nutritionists then, yet Harry hired his own (making food of course, but the point is why wasn't it club led ie. part of a bigger structure).

Still think a low purine diet focus would negate much of this, along with more Kelp/Calcium (boring pH stuff I always go on about)...

Anyway, I know I'm a food bore.

Hannah Sheridan is our performance nutritionist, I'd be interested on your thoughts on this.

I'll have a read about her. Think I've forgotten more than she could possibly know, but that is me being ageist.

Maybe I'll track her down and bore the shit out of her about pH balancing principles! :)

No problem with Blackcurrants, but turning it into a tablet makes me uneasy...

She and the other two came in as our pressing started dying though, sadly, correlation is not causation, but someone needed to scale something back as clearly we fell away.

Though Klopp died a death at Dortmund after a few years of high intensity, so maybe that is just the way of things. That is why I started a thread on SC in year two speculating that Pochs mothods would not last more than 3 years = which proved exactly right (in terms of being high press, out working teams every game).

I'll have a read about her. Think I've forgotten more than she could possibly know, but that is me being ageist.

Maybe I'll track her down and bore the shit out of her about pH balancing principles! :)

No problem with Blackcurrants, but turning it into a tablet makes me uneasy...

She and the other two cam in as our pressing started dying though, sadly, correlation is not causation, but someone needed to scale something back as clearly we fell away.

Though Klopp died a death at Dortmund after a few years or high intensity, so maybe that is just the way of things. That is why I started a thread on SC in year two speculating that Pochs mothods would not last more than 3 years = which proved exactly right (in terms of being high press, out working teams every game).
Why is that then?

Here's one that came from late 17:

October 4th 2017

Harry Kane is in the shape of his life and the form of the life, with 13 goals in his last eight matches for England and Tottenham Hotspur. It might look easy from afar but Kane said it is down to him working harder than ever, especially on his diet and recovery at home, away from the structured environment of the training grounds and team hotels.

Specifically, Kane has employed a personal chef, who is an expert in sports nutrition, who comes to his house six days a week to prepare healthy food. Kane says that is why he is quicker, stronger and leaner than ever now, better at holding off defenders, and even why he recovered quicker than expected from his ankle ligament injury sustained back in March.

However, he then suffers this:

17/18Ankle InjuryMar 12, 2018Apr 1, 201820 days2
17/18Knee InjuryNov 6, 2017Nov 14, 20178 days-
17/18Hamstring InjuryOct 23, 2017Oct 30, 20177 days2

Of course over playing is one thing, but Messi and Ronaldo manage about 700 games a season each...

Why did he need a recovery expert work on him at home with Nutrition and Recovery, why wasn't that club led...? They had 3 nutritionists then, yet Harry hired his own (making food of course, but the point is why wasn't it club led ie. part of a bigger structure).

Still think a low purine diet focus would negate much of this, along with more Kelp/Calcium (boring pH stuff I always go on about)...

Anyway, I know I'm a food bore.
Everyone is different but the prem is more physical than other leagues, coupled with Kane being one of the best strikers in the world, he will get fouled a lot, that in turn brings injuries that good nutrition won't stop.

Though Klopp died a death at Dortmund after a few years of high intensity, so maybe that is just the way of things. That is why I started a thread on SC in year two speculating that Pochs mothods would not last more than 3 years = which proved exactly right (in terms of being high press, out working teams every game).

I think Poch's methods can work over a longer period of time, but in order for them to work, the squad needed to be refreshed regularly and they needed to be more ruthless in squad turnover. Poch was so loyal that he was able to get the maximum out of the squad when this team played its best footie, that same loyalty led to us not selling anyone absent the players he fell out with.

If we had sold Eriksen in the summer of 2018 like we probably should have or if we had sold Eric Dier for 50m to Man United in 2017, that would have allowed us to continue to bring in new players to energize the press. Not doing deals like that ultimately was what brought Pochettino down and saw us slide down the table.

Everyone is different but the prem is more physical than other leagues, coupled with Kane being one of the best strikers in the world, he will get fouled a lot, that in turn brings injuries that good nutrition won't stop.

Agree entirely, though if you have less purine, for example, then you will have less uric acid residue in those joints, so when you get hurt it is often less intense in injury terms. Not stop, but minimise the intensity of injury which is directly related to the metabolic residue the regime creates.

On SC I called out Kane looking wrong/fatigued, multiple times, got loads of grief, then he got injured the next game (two times I called it with Kane).

Uric acid is like shards of glass in your joints, this is what has also plagued Lamela IMO.

Anyway, we went from having a Rugby experienced Nutrition guy, who might have been aware of some of this aspect, to this lass, who is a young lady from an Athletics background... no impact injury experience (relatively speaking).

My thoughts are fringe of course, but the lymphatic system relies of being slightly alkaline to create traction and remove/recycle acids, so when you run guys to exhaustion too often you hamper this drainage/sewage system in the body, leaving crap at the points of injury/exhaustion longer than you otherwise need (this is why pH diet is vital).

It's very complicated, but, when you get it, also very simplistic and elegant.

Zest Zest so what's a good diet plan + supplement stack for a prem footballer?
Safest way to combine sprinting x running with playing a match once a week?

Any thoughts on that old guy Atleti use for fitness who has players doing extremely long runs?

Makes oppo players kick you and mash your ankle up..... Are you not paying attention?

Knob'edd :)

You can get wacked pretty hard, and get up and play on, then get a relative minor knock and it puts you out for months...

Why? are we saying Messi and Ronaldo are not kicked at every game?

If you get kicked and you have a higher amount of shards of glass in your joints, do you think it might hurt more? Does that not create a picture you can understand? Uric acid is exactly that crystals

iu

Uric acid crystals

It's what is also does to your gait and posture, as your autonomic nervous system will try to change your movements to protect your affected area from further damage, this is why I could see it about to happen with Kane (in 2017 I think it was)...

Capiche?

Agree entirely, though if you have less purine, for example, then you will have less uric acid residue in those joints, so when you get hurt it is often less intense in injury terms. Not stop, but minimise the intensity of injury which is directly related to the metabolic residue the regime creates.

On SC I called out Kane looking wrong/fatigued, multiple times, got loads of grief, then he got injured the next game (two times I called it with Kane).

Uric acid is like shards of glass in your joints, this is what has also plagued Lamela IMO.
Ok but you can't prove Kane got injured because of uric acid.
Anyway, we went from having a Rugby experienced Nutrition guy, who might have been aware of some of this aspect, to this lass, who is a young lady from an Athletics background... no impact injury experience (relatively speaking).

My thoughts are fringe of course, but the lymphatic system relies of being slightly alkaline to create traction and remove/recycle acids, so when you run guys to exhaustion too often you hamper this drainage/sewage system in the body, leaving crap at the points of injury/exhaustion longer than you otherwise need (this is why pH diet is vital).

It's very complicated, but, when you get it, also very simplistic and elegant.
You don't have to be a prem footballer or have experience of playing at a high level to be a good manager right? So same deal with the nutritionists, she may not have the experience of here predecessor but it doesn't mean she's a lesser nutritionist or doesn't have a better understanding of impact injury.

Zest Zest so what's a good diet plan + supplement stack for a prem footballer?
Safest way to combine sprinting x running with playing a match once a week?

Any thoughts on that old guy Atleti use for fitness who has players doing extremely long runs?

Wouldn't know without seeing the training demands profiled, have thought about it alot though, they are mostly right, but think more plant based protein (and lower protein in general) during game days/weeks - regarding the uric acid issue will help minimise impact injury severity, for example (or the example I'm fixating on today).

Much higher leafy green veg than most profiles suggest, but like everything they are humans so each person would need their own based on muscular/skeletal form, injury histories etc.

As well, it's tough, as until you get a dedicated buy in, they will likely rebel like we saw against Ramos (Harry famously arriving saying - "give them ketchup"...).

Long running is tough, but depends on timing, but usually that is highly acidic and not for me (but know Simeone has a very fit set of players). Again depends on turnover cycles (and allowance to taper down if you want to keep playerX past 3 years), plus whether you are savvy in infusing the players with high alkalines to keep this recovery traction at an optimum state...

Not really.

If you were to have ever answered the 6m dollar question of 'what do our players actually eat?' It would be far easier to take your mere theorizing seriously.

As pointed out before that's central info any conclusions you may care to draw and without it you're just scrabbling around in the dark.

Ok, so it's just now been made apparent to you that they eat blackberries within their broader diet but you've been banging on about this stuff since you arrived.

Back
Top Bottom