Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Evidence slowly growing Jose is getting more right than wrong. Knocking on the door of top 4. If we had kept Poch (who I loved, btw) mid-table at best this season - quite possibly much worse.
We don't need to phrase all Mourinho's comments in Poch parenthesis. Nobody has made a comment yet about the subs that came on post the red card. Lamela was great in just being a dick and closing everything down when they were -1. Not a game changer in the way of goals but a turn of the vice.

I loved that.

JM is currently 1.77 ppg.
If we win v Villa 1.86 ppg.
Around 1.86 ppg was good enough for top 4 last season, 2009-10, 2011-12 and 2015-16.
That is a good achievement for JM so far. IMO he will do better over the remainder of the season.
With an inhereted team, he's doing pretty well. However, come next season I'll expect better from him. Not worried though, the man is a serial winner.

With an inhereted team, he's doing pretty well. However, come next season I'll expect better from him. Not worried though, the man is a serial winner.

That’s the key thing. It’s rare for him to take over a team mid-season. At the moment his job is to stabilise the ship and gradually introduce his ideas. Our summer transfer business will be very interesting.

As much as I agree with you, it does sound like a little smear of vaseline on your rusty sheriffs badge. Did you do some Pro Plus for laughs?

That’s the key thing. It’s rare for him to take over a team mid-season. At the moment his job is to stabilise the ship and gradually introduce his ideas. Our summer transfer business will be very interesting.

Yes. I , also, expect a full rebuild of the team.

I still maintain his remit was to get top 4 and save our season.

I'm more interested in what comes between now and May than the next installment of the trf window shit-fest.

Boring..... Do you not see what's already going on around us?

A few more additions in the summer and the fabled rebuild will have been completed. It's then about coaching and management again.

Last edited:
Is that because you've been locked away for the last six months and missed the 220m already spent on new players? or are you just having a laugh?

The 'full rebuild' is nearly done ... a top defensive midfielder, a back-up striker and a back up right back that's about all that's left to do. No rebuild is ever complete there should always be renewal but the bulk is done from five years ago.

lloris, Gazza, Whiteman/Austin

Aurier, Tanganga ... new back up right back so Tanganga can play CD
Foyth, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Tanganga, Cirkin (I really rate him)
Davies, Sessegnon

NEW STARTING DCM, Winks, Skipp, Fernandes

Dele, Ndombele, LoCelso, Bergwijn, Sissoko
Moura, Lamela, Son
Kane, Parrott ... new back up striker

That's assuming Verongen and Vorm leave on a free this summer. Dier and Wanyama are sold without being offered new contracts (both expire 2021) and Skipp signs a new contract.

There will be five players who will have just two years left on their contracts and Mourinho may choose to re-sign or sell and upgrade on all or some of these - my view Llloris (stay) Aurier (new contract) Lamela (sell) Foyth (not sure) Gazzaniga (new contract)

Would like to see Son sign a new contract as well ... his value in marketing alone makes him worth keeping for another five years.

Last edited:
Unless JM decides RS will be our lb in the future, we may very well be in the market for another one to back up Davies. Potentially even to turn Davies into a backup. Chorus is still out on RS and if he has the defensive chops to play LB.

There will be some selling in the midfield area. I see one or even two of sissoko, dier, and wanyama being moved on. We'll add one to replace one or two of them. Leaves us with:

Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks, Gedson, Dele, new signing, and 1 or 2 of the three mentioned above. More than plenty. That's why I honestly see two being sold of the three and one brought in who's more of a pure destroyer. Unless mourinho sees sissoko as more of a defensive right midfielder, in which case we'll see. As it stands, numbers wise we are set in midfield, and need to sell and buy to find one more in the mold we need (destroyer).

RB is obvious, hopefully we do buy.

Back up striker.

A left center back. Which is why I potentially see DS being sold off and a LCB being bought. Vert is pretty much gone and on his last legs, and he's the only left footed CB we have (not sure of foyth, but he doesn't seem ready anyway).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but the rebuild is far from over.

as you say sess is not a LB, maybe he can learn to play there ? Fulham boys will say he is a LWB or LF.
we need a Left footed CB, not sure Jose will keep Foyth as he makes mistakes as he brings the ball out

as you say sess is not a LB, maybe he can learn to play there ? Fulham boys will say he is a LWB or LF.
we need a Left footed CB, not sure Jose will keep Foyth as he makes mistakes as he brings the ball out

He may, and itll be up to jose this season to try and figure that out. Not sure if it's enough time to do that, but hopefully it is.

Unless JM decides RS will be our lb in the future, we may very well be in the market for another one to back up Davies. Potentially even to turn Davies into a backup. Chorus is still out on RS and if he has the defensive chops to play LB.

There will be some selling in the midfield area. I see one or even two of sissoko, dier, and wanyama being moved on. We'll add one to replace one or two of them. Leaves us with:

Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks, Gedson, Dele, new signing, and 1 or 2 of the three mentioned above. More than plenty. That's why I honestly see two being sold of the three and one brought in who's more of a pure destroyer. Unless mourinho sees sissoko as more of a defensive right midfielder, in which case we'll see. As it stands, numbers wise we are set in midfield, and need to sell and buy to find one more in the mold we need (destroyer).

RB is obvious, hopefully we do buy.

Back up striker.

A left center back. Which is why I potentially see DS being sold off and a LCB being bought. Vert is pretty much gone and on his last legs, and he's the only left footed CB we have (not sure of foyth, but he doesn't seem ready anyway).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but the rebuild is far from over.
He did say when he just arrived that he (for now) sees Sessegnon mainly as a winger, back up to Son. But Ben's injury and Rose and him not seeing eye to eye has made him play Ryan as a LB. Which he admitted that Ryan COULD play in the future once he picks up the defensive smartness that comes with age and experience.

So we could probably do with a back up/rotating option for Ben in the summer. But I think Ben suits Jose's lopsided backline setup very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom