January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chances of kids getting through the Academy system are poor - your number isn't unreasonable if you take kids at say age 10

Spurs (and other top academies) hand pick kids the kids so that by the age of say 15 when Academy Scholarships ae awarded the %'s should be closer to say 5% - 20% of kids getting to become a professional footballer in PL to League 2.

Whether kids get to be a top professional footballer or not depends not only on ability, perseverance and sheer hard work but also a big slice of luck - TAA at Liverpool was a decent but not world class midfielder at Liverpool (less highly rated than say KWP by England youth coaches) but due to injuries to Nathan Clyne, Joe Gomez etc was tried out at RB and flourished. Big slice of luck for TAA, whilst Clyne has never recovered

So opportunity is a big factor in making it - no loans and no first team playing time = no exposure = no chance that coaches will give you a chance. The Poch issue.

Do you understand now why Poch's methods failed to get Academy Youngsters through ti the first team or indeed elsewhere ?

Once kids have 'failed' to be recognised at one club, its a big effort to make it elsewhere. A decent example is Adam Smith stand out player with Daniel Sturridge in the same side, star at Spurs preseason at aged 17 but passed over when Spurs bought Walker (very fast but technically probably worse than Smith) and Naughton (older more experienced but less good than Smith). I watched Smith have Wright Philips for breakfast in a game of MK Doms (Smith on loam) v Man City (Wright Phillips then an England player) so he certainly was a decent level, However Smith left Spurs on bad terms as he felt he'd had his place taken by bought in players (true but that is football) and toom time to get over it - joined Championship Bournemouth and has been a decent level PL full back since. Was he ever a Spurs level full back - possibly, we will never know as his moment at Spurs never came and was never as good as he was.

Point is that developing players is not straightforward - put a player into the first team at the right time and the player may flourish. Leave it a year and the moment may be lost - and the player may wilt on the vine and not recover to the same standard.

There's a book to be written on the subject !
Again, if they are good enough they will make it. You waste your time explaining the eminently explicable and the implicitly understood but fail to accept (or at least acknowledge) that some will fall through the cracks. You may miss a player here or there. But as BangkokSpud BangkokSpud points out that is something that has to be accepted as you can't keep clogging up the works with nearly men in the hope that you might find or the fear that you might lose that one, the next Harry Kane.

It does not matter that Adam Smith may have made it with us. What matters is that he was nowhere near as good as Walker (who you try to disparage by knocking his technical ability) when it was time to step up. And beyond that what matters is anyone and everyone would take Walker over Smith (except maybe BC because his pocket axe needs to be ground too). So we didn't miss out on Adam Smith, no reason for regret. And I like Adam Smith and think he's a good player. Ryan Fredericks left for similar but did we miss out on him? No, he wasn't good enough at the right time either. And Smith left before Poch, right? So why aren't you incessantly grinding your axe for whomever is responsible for that?

And I'm still waiting on that list of lost world beaters. Because if the list doesn't exist then we both understand the foundations of your argument fall. And though you are trying to put it on stilts with the 'money to bolster transfer funds etc etc' it won't hold in the weather of argumentation either.

And 5-20% is quite the range but you guys go on about it like 20% make it to the PL when the truth is we haven't recently lost an academy player to the PL have we? Adam Smith went down and played a few years before coming up so that doesn't count. I'm talking straight PL quality. Is there anyone? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Where I see the problem is the investment is in infrastructure, the stuff that looks good on the balance sheet when it's time to sell up. We haven't invested 100M in actual youth players. We aren't shelling out for top quality raw materials and hence we get Champo at best coming out the backend. It's no surpise. We have been stocking the academy with players with a Champ - L2 trajectory and that's what we get out the backend. Can you name a top youth we've paid big youth/academy money for? Probably not because DL knows that most will not make it so it is not a sound investment for an investment company. He buys L2 and hopes to shine them to Champo as there is way less risk.

Last edited:
You misunderstand.
For future reference this is something of which I'm rarely accused. And there is a reason for that.

And for the rest of it, if a player is good enough then he will catch an eye. Tanganga all you'd like but he is not the next coming of Maldini is he? Most are happy with what he's shown but is that the trajectory you expect? But if he was as good then surely you would have expected Poch or any other coach to take notice, right? So again, if they are good enough they will be noticed.

And Mou's ball is different than Poch's ball so the desirable characteristics of a player would be different. For example, someone like Pulis wouldn't like a David Silva coming through his academy but we all know David Silva is amazing right? But not the characteristics Pulis would be looking for so not really a stick to beat him with when he is replaced by Hughes who wants to actually play football. That's just to make my point so don't try and pull me up on the specifics. We are parking the bus now, things are different.

For those who are interested in what is now meaningless information but does shed light on the various bits of media coverage ... the Bale situation.

Levy and Perez in a meeting on Sunday agreed a deal in principle where Bale would return to Spurs on loan, Spurs would pay RM 16m as a loan fee until June. RM would pay Bale's wages (about 11m) during that period. If Spurs qualified for the CL Spurs would be obligated to pay RM a further 30m as a transfer fee, from this transfer fee RM would pay Bale the remaining year on his salary. Spurs would then negotiate a deal with Bale on a much lower salary as he had already received in advance 20+ million from RM.

This worked for Perez - saved him 36m in salary and gave them 10m in the bank - it worked for Levy who would get a top player for 46m but not on a 600k salary ... so far so good.

However Bale's agent wasn't happy as he feared Spurs would not qualify for CL and just pull out of any future deal no financial upside for him or Bale in that, Zidane wasn't happy because he would lose a top player and get almost no money and no time to replace him.

So Chairmen happy but agent and manager not so much ....

Even with those two issues Spurs felt late on Thursday that they had a real chance, we sent a full contract team to RM on Thursday night with the very real hope of getting it done Friday, obviously Barnett and Zidane blew any deal out of the water first thing Friday morning, so it was then a non-starter.

By all accounts Bale was pissed with yet another on/off saga and let it be know he wasn't available for the derby game. On 600k a week I'm sure after a few rounds off golf he'll get over it ..... fully expect him to sit it most of the next 18 months and collect his 36m in wages .... tough life

Zidane did get Kroos back from the dead, he was almost as disliked as Bale a while ago now he's a hero, I doubt he can do the same for Bale or that he even wants to.

What this does show for us is that without CL football next season we might be far less likely to spend big in the summer, that is unless of course we make 150m profit and sign a 25m a year naming rights deal ... if that happens then feck knows.

I was told all this because it no longer means bugger all ... take from it what you want as I said it's purely for those who are interested in this boring stuff.

Last edited:
83462926_1458424747665086_1883308258391752704_n.jpg

what is it that most of us are missing ?, most of us think we need a DM, but the club don't appear to have tried to get one, so we must be wrong ?
for me, by not getting a real DM this transfer window we will ship to many goals to get CL next season, so next season it will be really hard to get a top DM
yes you pay more in this window but if we get CL we get that money "back"

Fun fact of the day..

Chelsea appealed their transfer ban after stamping their feet and making a huge issue out of it.
They were granted their wish and were allowed to sign players in the January window and celebrated.

The only club to sign 0 players in the January window....

CHELSEA.. :mourpointlaugh:

For those who are interested in what is now meaningless information but does shed light on the various bits of media coverage ... the Bale situation.

Levy and Perez in a meeting on Sunday agreed a deal in principle where Bale would return to Spurs on loan, Spurs would pay RM 16m as a loan fee until June. RM would pay Bale's wages (about 11m) during that period. If Spurs qualified for the CL Spurs would be obligated to pay RM a further 30m as a transfer fee, from this transfer fee RM would pay Bale the remaining year on his salary. Spurs would then negotiate a deal with Bale on a much lower salary as he had already received in advance 20+ million from RM.

This worked for Perez - saved him 36m in salary and gave them 10m in the bank - it worked for Levy who would get a top player for 46m but not on a 600k salary ... so far so good.

However Bale's agent wasn't happy as he feared Spurs would not qualify for CL and just pull out of any future deal no financial upside for him or Bale in that, Zidane wasn't happy because he would lose a top player and get almost no money and no time to replace him.

Even with those two issues Spurs felt late on Thursday that they had a real chance, we sent a full contract team to RM on Thursday night with the very real hope of getting it done Friday, obviously Barnett and Zidane blew any deal out of the water first thing Friday morning, so it was then a non-starter.

By all accounts Bale was pissed with yet another on/off saga and let it be know he wasn't available for the derby game. On 600k a week I'm sure after a few rounds off golf he'll get over it ..... fully expect him to sit it most of the next 18 months and collect his 36m in wages .... tough life

Zidane did get Kroos back from the dead, he was almost as disliked as Bale a while ago now he's a hero, I doubt he can do the same for Bale or that he even wants to.

What this does show for us is that without CL football next season we might be far less likely to spend big in the summer, that is unless of course we make 150m profit and sign a 25m a year naming rights deal ... if that happens then feck knows.

I was told all this because it no longer means bugger all ... take from it what you want as I said it's purely for those who are interested in this boring stuff.

Where : The fighting cock
When: Sat 01 feb
Who: BangkokSpud BangkokSpud on Bale

I'm full of shit

Last edited:
Doubt we spent anywhere close to that amount, but it’s just not about how much is spent these days it’s about who you can pull with the money available no matter how much or how little you have, that’s where I feel let down.
I know we aren’t going to rebuild in one window, especially January, but c’mon a blind man could see we have no alternative to Kane, and with Kane missing since Jan 1st for the rest of the season we had the good fortune to have a full 31 days to at least paper the crack.....but we didn’t, even our manager said as much.
I don't know if loaning out is much better. But I'm sure Skipp and Foyth would have been much happier the last two years if they had been playing football. I guess they would have been better players today also.

I really don’t understand this striker concern - we have Son. I would take him over any of the names that have been mentioned. We have been here quite a few times in recent seasons with Kane being injured - Son was fine then but seemingly not now?

Except you believ wrong .... you just made up numbers to support your thinking, why?

Kane missed 14 games in 16/17 from a possible 53 - that's 26%

Kane missed just 4 games in 17/18 from a possible 55 - that's just 7%

and this year he will likely miss something close to 30% .... depending on his return date ....

Ronaldo missed 11 games in 8/9 then 10 games in 9/10 like Kane two seasons badly blighted by muscle injuries, in his case ankle ... however since recovering from two bad years he then had seven consecutive years without a lengthy injury absence until a torn collateral in 16/17

The point, which clearly went over your head, is that two years of muscle injuries do not mean your career is finished or that you will continue to have the same issues - as Ronaldo proves if you look after yourself you can still go on to manage 50 games a season without major injuries ...

Do you get it now?
Two years of muscle injuries does not mean your career is over .... excellent point well made

applying this point in terms of a comparible record to Kane is the problem here

the injury records are so far apart the point makes no sense and is therefore as I originally pointed out..... a terrible comparison

I’ve included Kane’s record of regular 20,30 even 40 day plus injuries almost every year

and let me end by trying to be as equally insulting as you are ..... are you getting it now?

Kane injury record

No, until I get the confirmation from Hercules, I won’t believe this.

Yes it’s boring.

I really don’t understand this striker concern - we have Son. I would take him over any of the names that have been mentioned. We have been here quite a few times in recent seasons with Kane being injured - Son was fine then but seemingly not now?
Its not the way Jose wants/will play he wants a big strong striker who can hold up/head/battle for the ball, Son can't do that he's not in him (same as Eriksen) that's way Lucas plays there he will try to do those things

Yep. “I’m so ashamed we can’t even get an average striker in on a six month loan, waah waah!”.

Son is well above average as a striker. Moura probably average, Dele the same. New guy with the name I can’t spell, I believe is an average striker. But we need a fourth one?

Id have been thrilled to see Cavani come in for us, but very much less so, Ighalo.

Did you get this in another MMS?

LMFAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom