Watford Away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He did sell out the domestic cups from time to time though. Palace away we rested so many key players if I recall correctly which says a lot about where the prioritise were at certain times during his tenure.

But we still dominated that game and missed a pen IIRC. We had a good squad that needed games, and you simply cannot just play the same 11 twice a week for 8 months. You have to prioritise, but I don't think we ever went into games not trying to win them.

Look at Liverpool, just played U23 teams against Villa and Everton in cup games.

No he didn’t, but I’m only guessing. Sess is nowhere near that level. I only offered a possible explanation for Tanganga at LB.
Of course it’s what we do in this place ... we’re not referring to the manager and you’re probably projecting along the right lines .
Thing is my opinion is Mourinho was wrong in his experiment or method to combat this pace by playing a raw right sided centre back at left back .... when we have sessengon. Natural left footer with pace

and as to level.... sess was considered way ahead in terms of levels than tanganga who no one valued near 25m

But we still dominated that game and missed a pen IIRC. We had a good squad that needed games, and you simply cannot just play the same 11 twice a week for 8 months. You have to prioritise, but I don't think we ever went into games not trying to win them.

Look at Liverpool, just played U23 teams against Villa and Everton in cup games.

Liverpool have a Champions League and a PL soon to follow, we don't though. I don't have an issue playing a few kids in games if the draw is kind to us (Macclesfield at home etc) but Crystal Palace away we all know is tough so resting important players clearly increases our chances of not going through.

There are times like against Colchester happen but I still can't accept not even taking Kane with us when Poch came out at the beginning of the year saying a trophy was a must.

He did sell out the domestic cups from time to time though. Palace away we rested so many key players if I recall correctly which says a lot about where the prioritise were at certain times during his tenure.

That was necessity IMO.

Just after xmas where we'd done superbly well + CL & the LC semi... Something had to give; rest-wise.

That was necessity IMO.

Just after xmas where we'd done superbly well + CL & the LC semi... Something had to give; rest-wise.

We did yes mate but we also pummelled Everton 6-2 away, Bournemouth 5-0 at home, Cardiff 3-0 away and Tranmere 7-0 away and could have been far better with our subs in those games if memory serves me right.

The lads needed a rest but they also didn't need to play 80 minutes in games that were clearly already wrapped up around the same time we had that FA Cup tie. Of rest was required, why not make 3 subs 3-0 up at HT against the Cherries etc?

We did yes mate but we also pummelled Everton 6-2 away, Bournemouth 5-0 at home, Cardiff 3-0 away amen Tranmere 7-0 away and could have been far better with our subs in those games I felt memory serves me right.

The lads needed a rest but they also didn't need to play 80 minutes in games that were clearly already wrapped up around the same time we had that FA Cup tie. Of rest was required, why not make 3 subs 3-0 up at HT against the Cherries etc?

True... I wouldn't align that to wanting to 'throw' cups tho.... A misguided sense of momentum perhaps.

True... I wouldn't align that to wanting to 'throw' cups tho.... A misguided sense of momentum perhaps.

Not necessarily throwing cups just not taking them as seriously as we could and should have.

Ive just checked, during the 5-0 home win against Bournemouth we subbed Kane 77th minute, Eriksen 84th and Sonny 88th. All during a well known busy period. Hard to pick holes in a 5-0 win but at 5-0 up those kinda late subs are moronic and gave key players an extra half a games worth of running and tiredness more than was required. All 3 (Eriksen, Son, Kane) didn't even make the bench for Palace away in the cup, they were completely rested not even there as ammo just in case they were required.. It baffles me for a team desperate for silverware.

We need to practice hitting top or bottom corners, every shot is always down the keepers throat. Missed a chance to close the gap more with Chelsea losing.

Dull game, no one in the starting XI played well, no one played really badly. Watford were tidy opponents.

Plus points: Clean sheet, Gedson's cameo, I thought Winks worked really hard in midfield, Gazza's penalty save

Negatives: Tanga isn't a left back. Sonny had another stinker. I had another brilliantly incisive tactical/positional point regarding him but I've forgotten it.

Refereeing decisions. Definitely a penalty against us. Capoue should have been sent off. The handball shout in our favour was 50/50 I'd say. I still don't understand how there can be effectively two laws, one against strikers and one against defenders. Make it simple, hand/arm away from the body = handball. The whole "intentional" thing has always been nonsense. Goal-line technology - good thing, zero complaints. How we all laughed at Liverpool last season vs City, today we got it back.

We need a striker

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom