Rudiger claims he heard monkey chants

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t want to attack Rudiger as he feels he heard something, and it upset him, fair enough

However I will say that he has complained about it before, and yet again no evidence was found. If he’s doing it deliberately then he’s a scum bag, but I doubt he is, probably just him mishearing stuff

One thing that should absolutely happen though, is full apologies issued from the likes of Gary Neville, Sky Sports and most of the tabloid news papers. They completely and utterly shamed us as a fan base with absolutely zero evidence.

Fair enough I take your point but where do you draw the line?

If I were to publicly accuse you of racism would that be OK? how about if thought I heard a member of your family being racist and published that in the local paper?

At what point does an accusation need to have at least some evidence before it's taken down?

I'm not saying Rudiger was wrong for one second, however when does what now looks overwhelmingly like an error on his part need to be taken back to give the accused the protection of innocence?
Would you have reported it to the police though or you just go straight to the papers?
The club aren't suing him they are backing his right to make the allegation.

Your position is well understood ... you believe he thought he heard something and that he was right to make the accusations he did ... so to you the same question I asked Pipes earlier

Now a full and thorough investigation has found no evidence of monkey chants to support the accusation he made, should he now withdraw those allegations?
If he thinks he's heard it, why would he withdraw anything.

Would you have reported it to the police though or you just go straight to the papers?
The club aren't suing him they are backing his right to make the allegation.
So am I ... it's just then when those allegations are unproven the decent thing to do is take them back ... even he must now realise he almost certainly made a mistake.

How do you otherwise stop less genuine people than Rudiger making any accusation they want? He's right to report what he believes he heard (didn't need the monkey impression or the twitter) but he would be even more right to now accept that he may have made a mistake ... but let's not hold our breath on him or any of the talking heads doing that in this lifetime ...

A picture says a thousand words and all that...

ollieholt-aliceband.png

Even Robbie Savage was able to take the piss...

So am I ... it's just then when those allegations are unproven the decent thing to do is take them back ... even he must now realise he almost certainly made a mistake.

How do you otherwise stop less genuine people than Rudiger making any accusation they want? He's right to report what he believes he heard (didn't need the monkey impression or the twitter) but he would be even more right to now accept that he may have made a mistake ... but let's not hold our breath on him or any of the talking heads doing that in this lifetime ...
That's what the police and the law are there for.
I think we'd do ourselves a lot of favors by reacting appropriately as fans.

Because the overwhelming evidence says he's wrong ... he should man up and accept that mistakes happen.
If you see a homeless man getting abducted, but the police cant find evidence of it doesnt mean you then have to say I was wrong, I am just seeing things.

It would be weirder if he said I withdraw my complaint because other people didnt find evidence of it. If he thinks hes heard it, hes not going to change his mind on that suddenly.

Some people are so closed-minded and determined that they have to take a view on either extreme of the argument.

FFS, it actually is possible that he believed that he heard something, and that it didn't actually happen. Not one of us on here can categorically say that Rudiger didn't hear anything, or that it isn't possible that a comment or a chant could have sounded like a racial slur to somebody not familiar with Spurs chants and who speaks English as a second (maybe even third?) language.

It's massively unfortunate that this situation has happened, and frustrating as fuck that the club's name has been dragged through the mud. However, the media clearly reacted in the way they did because this was the first time (to the best of my knowledge) that the protocol had been followed in a match in the UK, at least certainly in the top flight, and so was always going to draw a crazy amount of attention after what occured in Sofia when England played Bulgaria. It's got fuck all to do with it being Spurs. The shitstorm would've happened if it had been at Woolwich, Norwich, Everton or wherever. And I find it hard to believe that there would be as much concern from a lot on here if that were the case.

The club statement backs his right to make the allegation, people are going to believe what they want to believe regardless.
I'm not disputing that, it's just that in the balance of fairness I had to state that there was no evidence that he was either lying or telling the truth...

Some people are so closed-minded and determined that they have to take a view on either extreme of the argument.

FFS, it actually is possible that he believed that he heard something, and that it didn't actually happen. Not one of us on here can categorically say that Rudiger didn't hear anything, or that it isn't possible that a comment or a chant could have sounded like a racial slur to somebody not familiar with Spurs chants and who speaks English as a second (maybe even third?) language.

It's massively unfortunate that this situation has happened, and frustrating as fuck that the club's name has been dragged through the mud. However, the media clearly reacted in the way they did because this was the first time (to the best of my knowledge) that the protocol had been followed in a match in the UK, at least certainly in the top flight, and so was always going to draw a crazy amount of attention after what occured in Sofia when England played Bulgaria. It's got fuck all to do with it being Spurs. The shitstorm would've happened if it had been at Woolwich, Norwich, Everton or wherever. And I find it hard to believe that there would be as much concern from a lot on here if that were the case.

Thank you.

This thread is an eye-opener, to say the least.

He's got previous... exaggeration his forte, ask Sonny?
Two different things, all players cheat it doesn't have any bearing on how they are as people.
To me it doesn't make sense that Rudiger would lie just because he is called a cheat by fans, he's a seasoned professional, he's been called a lot worse.

Back
Top Bottom