The new poch out poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes poch out

Votes: 172 44.6%
  • No poch stays

Votes: 214 55.4%

• Total voters
With any manager there’s always some risk that things don’t work out despite their previous reputation or success.

If you simply take this logic then AVB would have been the perfect manager for us- he won four trophies with Porto, including a Europa league and domestic title, yet we all know how that worked out.

Same with Ramos who had won European titles with Sevilla.

I personally don’t think it as simple as getting in a manager who has won titles in a lesser league because that means he should have a winners mentality- it’s definitely preferable but not a guarantee of success
The is of course true. But I think my point still stands that we should not scoff at a manager just because he has "only managed in a smaller league".

People asking for Eddie Howe take a look at Marco Silva, was the next big thing as he was doing wonders at a lower club.
Howe is exactly the same, he’s doing a great job at Bournemouth but that doesn’t mean he will do well at a bigger club.

I agree. We got lucky with Poch and it could have immediately gone wrong. I'd rather we went for someone with an established reputation for getting things done and winning things, although saying that is much easier than doing it , especially with a cheapskate management.

People asking for Eddie Howe take a look at Marco Silva, was the next big thing as he was doing wonders at a lower club.
Howe is exactly the same, he’s doing a great job at Bournemouth but that doesn’t mean he will do well at a bigger club.

Silva took Hull down, at Watford he didn't do anything more than any other Watford manager has done before getting sacked

I do think many people underestimate the job Howe has done at Bournemouth, where they were when he took over and where they are now. It is a remarkable story. Plus he makes sure his teams have a British core, he tends to buy young players as well as buying foreigners. It's a good mix

The is of course true. But I think my point still stands that we should not scoff at a manager just because he has "only managed in a smaller league".

Definitely.

My point was more that it is not a guarantee of success- but then again what is?

Plenty of high profile managers who have won multiple trophies have failed in certain jobs for one reason or another

Definitely.

My point was more that it is not a guarantee of success- but then again what is?

Plenty of high profile managers who have won multiple trophies have failed in certain jobs for one reason or another
Rafa Benitez is a prime example of this. He has won trophies with every club he has worked for except for Real Madrid (Championship trophy with Newcastle).

Howes teams never know how to defend-likable guy and plays good football, british core player etc but would be an enormous risk. As far as Southgate is concerned I would be amazed if that were true, not a fucking chance.
Ancellotti, Alegri, Mourinho and Benitez are the only managers we should be thinking about imo.

I hate the fact that I have just typed Mourinho but as a two or three year stopgap he could win us a trophy or two before a younger long term manager could be identified tbf.

I hate the fact that I have just typed Mourinho but as a two or three year stopgap he could win us a trophy or two before a younger long term manager could be identified tbf.
As much as i detest him and don't want to suffer his type of football, i make you right on the trophies.
But,would he come to a club,where he couldn't just throw money about?
I cant see him being interested(thankfully).

As much as i detest him and don't want to suffer his type of football, i make you right on the trophies.
I think he would love it mate tbh, biggest job in London these days and he still lives there basically! I reckon he would be backed as well over the next couple of windows as Poch was last summer-we don't need a 300 million spend to be competitive again imo, theres still a really good core squad.

I think he would love it mate tbh, biggest job in London these days and he still lives there basically! I reckon he would be backed as well over the next couple of windows as Poch was last summer-we don't need a 300 million spend to be competitive again imo, theres still a really good core squad.
But his brand of football?...
I think we,as a fanbase would n't stomach it for long,so it would have to be interim(which you said)

But his brand of football?...
I think we,as a fanbase would n't stomach it for long,so it would have to be interim(which you said)
Exactly right, but lets be totally honest-we have been playing horrendous football for a year now bar Everton and Dortmund games.
2.5 seasons of Mourinho might be our best option to steady the ship and win something-I detest the man and I can't believe I'm saying this tbh mate lol

I think he is interested, and is waiting to see what happens.

At the same time he often throws money about, our owners also need to realise that we can't sign players for pennies anymore. Players who were worth £20m 5 years ago are now worth £60m. Ndombele is a prime example. He had one stand out season at Lyon and we paid £65m for him. Same as Lo Celso, Betis paid £12m in the same window we agreed to pay £60m for him.

The owners need to be ready to invest £60m+ per player if we want to start winning leagues and european trophies. If not then they need to move on.

Exactly right, but lets be totally honest-we have been playing horrendous football for a year now bar Everton and Dortmund games.
2.5 seasons of Mourinho might be our best option to steady the ship and win something-I detest the man and I can't believe I'm saying this tbh mate lol
Desperate times,call for desperate measures...:)

People will hate to hear it, but Mourinho would have won at least 2 trophies with the squad Poch has had. He is a serial winner.

I think he is interested, and is waiting to see what happens.

At the same time he often throws money about, our owners also need to realise that we can't sign players for pennies anymore. Players who were worth £20m 5 years ago are now worth £60m. Ndombele is a prime example. He had one stand out season at Lyon and we paid £65m for him. Same as Lo Celso, Betis paid £12m in the same window we agreed to pay £60m for him.

The owners need to be ready to invest £60m+ per player if we want to start winning leagues and european trophies. If not then they need to move on.
Yeah, he is definitely interested.

No way he would put himself as out there as he has if he was not interested. I think he is also motivated to prove that he still has what it takes.

This is all the natural consequence of paying shit wages for so long. And bore off with all that "they get paid thousands to kick a ball what about our nurses/soldiers" bollocks.

Levy's tactic was to keep on offering small wage increases, whilst making sure it always remained well below what other top clubs offered for their equivalents.
You may say that the players are free to not sign those extensions. But the truth is that there is pressure on them to do so, it's not straight forward to leave. They need another club to be interested, make a bid, for the bid to be accepted etc. Very different to you and I just applying for a new job. So they sign these extensions with small increases.

Only they've now caught on. They realise they can bite the bullet and stay on their current wage, not sign extensions for small increases and then all the power will be in their hands close the end of their contract.

And when it gets to that situation suddenly Spurs start offering bigger contracts LOL. To which the players rightfully say "Oh now you're offering to pay me what I'm worth. Fuck off."

It may have been fun wanking over Levy's ability to keep our wage bill low compared to our rival's but now it's come back to bite us on the arse. Poch is having to pay the price for this with a bunch of pissed off players.

The way to sort this is to make sure those who aren't totally fucked off are given good contracts, and we continue to add to the new signings and complete this rebuild making no more mistakes due to being stingy.

No more going summer windows without signing players.
It's funny when people point to other clubs who have sacked managers for less, yet refuse to acknowledge none of them having to outperform a budget so significantly for so long.

Poch literally made us so good that people are saying he should be doing better with what he has, his own creation.

After half a decade of magic he is allowed a shit season. Regardless of whether his cryptic interviews give you anxiety cos you have a shit life.

As the guillotine starts to rise, I find myself wanting Poch to stay. I think that’s mainly because I’m a useless wet fool, but I really do want him to have had every chance. I can’t disagree with those that want him out - if anything the evidence supports their position more - but I’d be prepared to make an exception with Poch. If there’s a way to get him to January and back him with two genuinely excellent signings then we could see how he reacts under pressure. If he gets through this, the sense of loyalty he will have to the club will be invaluable.

I can’t stomach the idea of Mourinho. Again, respect the argument. I just can’t stand the fella.

If he has to go, I’d like to see Ancelotti. A wily old fox that has done absolutely everything. Commands respect, a bit like Hiddink.

I don’t want a ‘personality’.

This is all the natural consequence of paying shit wages for so long. And bore off with all that "they get paid thousands to kick a ball what about our nurses/soldiers" bollocks.

Levy's tactic was to keep on offering small wage increases, whilst making sure it always remained well below what other top clubs offered for their equivalents.
You may say that the players are free to not sign those extensions. But the truth is that there is pressure on them to do so, it's not straight forward to leave. They need another club to be interested, make a bid, for the bid to be accepted etc. Very different to you and I just applying for a new job. So they sign these extensions with small increases.

Only they've now caught on. They realise they can bite the bullet and stay on their current wage, not sign extensions for small increases and then all the power will be in their hands close the end of their contract.

And when it gets to that situation suddenly Spurs start offering bigger contracts LOL. To which the players rightfully say "Oh now you're offering to pay me what I'm worth. Fuck off."

It may have been fun wanking over Levy's ability to keep our wage bill low compared to our rival's but now it's come back to bite us on the arse. Poch is having to pay the price for this with a bunch of pissed off players.

The way to sort this is to make sure those who aren't totally fucked off are given good contracts, and we continue to add to the new signings and complete this rebuild making no more mistakes due to being stingy.

No more going summer windows without signing players.
It's funny when people point to other clubs who have sacked managers for less, yet refuse to acknowledge none of them having to outperform a budget so significantly for so long.

Poch literally made us so good that people are saying he should be doing better with what he has, his own creation.

After half a decade of magic he is allowed a shit season. Regardless of whether his cryptic interviews give you anxiety cos you have a shit life.

So how much should we be paying the likes of Toby, Eriksen and Verts? Out of Interest? How much do you THINK we have offered and how much do they want?

Back
Top Bottom