The new poch out poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes poch out

Votes: 172 44.6%
  • No poch stays

Votes: 214 55.4%

• Total voters
Just bring allegri then.

I just don't see him being interested in us because of the state we are in. It's a massive rebuilding job, most likely no CL football next season and who knows what kind of budget Levy will make available for new signings. Allegri is at the stage of his career where he can walk into Real, Barca, Man City, Liverpool Bayern.

It has to be Jose, even if only for two years. At least finally it could not be framed as a “project” or “next stage” blah blah. It all ups to to cake tomorrow in my book, tomorrow never comes.

everything is there to win, there is simply no excuse at all to be 14th. None.

I just don't see him being interested in us because of the state we are in. It's a massive rebuilding job, most likely no CL football next season and who knows what kind of budget Levy will make available for new signings. Allegri is at the stage of his career where he can walk into Real, Barca, Man City, Liverpool Bayern.

An attractive project with anyone who doesn’t have to rely on instant success.
If a manager backs his ability and has faith in his management skills, it’s one of the best jobs out there.
We have the best stadium, the best training facilities and have potential to be the top of the pile.
Too many managers want to take over an existing project with a club that is pretty much guaranteed success.

Disagree - he's improved all teams he's managed
Going to Scotland was the best thing he could have done.

He took a step back to develop a winning mentality and credentials.

We can laugh about it being Scotland but he comes in with 9 titles in 3 years I think. He knows how to win now.

Which is why in my mind, we should not scoff at recruiting managers or players from the top clubs in the smaller leagues (Scotland, Portugal, Holland, Belgium). Yes it's not one of the big 5. But these guys will come from clubs that are regularly competing for titles or in Europe.

Last edited:
Sadly, with all due respect, I think that will be the situation if he stays. So I will disagree and say the impetus of a new manager is just what this club and the squad (plus whatever changes the new guy wants) need in order to once again be realistically challenging for titles/trophies.
I posted this a couple of posts previous to my post that you quoted.

I've been reading that Poch wants 6 new players to overhaul the squad. So I really think this is the end as I know Levy won't do that, not for Poch or the next man. Hope I'm wrong though.
We've NEVER given any manager what he needed for a title challenge and under ENIC NEVER will.
When Harry tried he was rebuffed, Poch has talked about it he was rebuffed too. The new man won't get want he wants, he will be given a partial funds and be told to get on with it our best players will leave because they know we aren't winning anything substantial.

Champions league final losers is as good as it's ever going to get.

An attractive project with anyone who doesn’t have to rely on instant success.
If a manager backs his ability and has faith in his management skills, it’s one of the best jobs out there.
We have the best stadium, the best training facilities and have potential to be the top of the pile.
Too many managers want to take over an existing project with a club that is pretty much guaranteed success.

Stadium and training facilities yes, great, but I think top managers look at how much money a club is willing to invest in new players.

That's why we can look forward to a Howe, Southgate, Potter level of manager. They would love to take over a project like ours with all the benefits you described.

What j wont understand is when they have spent a billion quid on the worlds best football stadium, when we have the best training complex in the world why you would bring in someone as bang average as howe or southgate.

Howe if anything underachieves at Bournemouth , ignore the shit stadium, kit and fans. They spend a fortune.
Thank you for trying to restore some sanity around here, Devanteswing . Howe is a joke. Works under minimal pressure/expectations, no consistency, does not have a discernible style of play, his teams do not press in a coordinated manner, they leaked about 70 goddamn goals in the PL last season, pays big money for absolute crap. I am done with Levy if he hires him.
And southgate is awful. He got the England job as a politically safe pair of hands after Allardyce and has done nothing more than the bare minimum with a supremely talented england squad . Dont agree? How many better forward lines can you name than Sanchez, sterling and kane. Only one I can think of is liverpool.
Thank you. Thank you. Managing England, especially in qualifiers, is like turning up for a Donkey Derby on Desert Orchid.
If IF Poch goes it has to be for a world class coach or one with the potential to be so, (Nanglesmann). And they should be following in a top DOF.
:freundgoal:

Stadium and training facilities yes, great, but I think top managers look at how much money a club is willing to invest in new players.

That's why we can look forward to a Howe, Southgate, Potter level of manager. They would love to take over a project like ours with all the benefits you described.

I think that your post does inadvertently point out the major problem I see at the club. The “project”. What does current version of that mean? what’s the objective ? a project should have a conclusion.
Whereas Tottenham projects tend to have no clear aim and then sort of refresh and morph into a new project, it’s all a bit odd. And frankly cheap

To break the cycle maybe it’s time to forget the project and go balls out to try to actually win - in that circumstances we need winners, and that does not to me suggest Howe, Southgate or (especially Potter) have the CV necessary to change anything. I’d argue Houghton deserved much more of a chance than any of them. Can you imagine Potter in charge of Spurs. Wow that’s depressing.

for me, all roads lead to Jose. I cannot argue against or about his “shit” brand of football but given what we see from Poch’s coaching, it’s no worse. the man is box office and a winner.

We must not let that Man U bollocks cloud anything. He won as much there as our club have in 28 years.

But as you rightly say, would a Jose or similar have any significant sums to spend on players ? And that’s what it all comes down to.

Managers who need to buy every top player don’t have confidence in their own ability.
It’s like saying I can’t build a team I need the best players available to do it for me.
There are many lazy managers who want it all and know full well they will be a success but there are also good managers who want a challenge and are not spoon fed.

Poch is the latter but unfortunately the project has hit a buffer. Something has broken down which can and often happens.

Disagree - he's improved all teams he's managed
He improved Swansea. Walked out on Watford, sacked by Reading and Liverpool (where he was lucky to have Suarez and Coutinho but still finished 7th and 6th in 2 of his 3 complete seasons).

Just my opinion, I wouldn't want him - and many here are demanding a proven winner. To his credit, he has the best pitchside whistle I've ever heard !

Interesting that a few months back many though that quite literally the only step up was Klopp or Simeone.
And in some cases it was denied they’d even improve our football with this squad (lol)

Now, rather sensibly, I think people have calmed their opinions a little on that and can see that improving Poch won’t actually take much.

He improved Swansea. Walked out on Watford, sacked by Reading and Liverpool (where he was lucky to have Suarez and Coutinho but still finished 7th and 6th in 2 of his 3 complete seasons).

Just my opinion, I wouldn't want him - and many here are demanding a proven winner. To his credit, he has the best pitchside whistle I've ever heard !
I never said I want him at Spurs - simply noted he's an underrated manager

Managers who need to buy every top player don’t have confidence in their own ability.
It’s like saying I can’t build a team I need the best players available to do it for me.
There are many lazy managers who want it all and know full well they will be a success but there are also good managers who want a challenge and are not spoon fed.

Poch is the latter but unfortunately the project has hit a buffer. Something has broken down which can and often happens.

It also depends the stage of the managers career and what his ambitions are. Younger inexperienced managers won't mind doing it the hard way, building a team, an ethos, helping a club grow and progress. However if the manager is ambitious he will reach a point where to take the next step and challenge for trophies he will need to invest substantially in his team. Poch himself has come to that point. At Spurs he wants money to buy top players.

Did you think that Mason and Bentaleb worked?
I didn’t
It's all relative. But yeah, worked better than now, despite having better raw materials to work with.

He made Mason an England International, when pre-Poch he'd been a Spurs reserve/fringe player, and post-Poch he was an average player for Hull. That kind of magic has gone.

It's all relative. But yeah, worked better than now, despite having better raw materials to work with.

He made Mason an England International, when pre-Poch he'd been a Spurs reserve/fringe player, and post-Poch he was an average player for Hull. That kind of magic has gone.

And drive and enthusiasm
Going through the motions and passing it on to the players

If I see one more link to Eddie Howe I will lose it. He isn't what we need, he's another project that will take 5-6 years to develop.

If Poch goes, which I hope he doesn't, then we need a proven winner who can take this squad to the next level. Ancelotti, Mourinho, Allegri, maybe even Benitez. If not one of them then Narglesmann would be good.

If I see one more link to Eddie Howe I will lose it. He isn't what we need, he's another project that will take 5-6 years to develop.

If Poch goes, which I hope he doesn't, then we need a proven winner who can take this squad to the next level. Ancelotti, Mourinho, Allegri, maybe even Benitez. If not one of them then Narglesmann would be good.

Ancelotti would be interesting. He is a winner, good man manager, experience galore, the press seem to respect and like him, football is quite attractive. Actually it could be an inspired choice considering the predicament we are in atm

Going to Scotland was the best thing he could have done.

He took a step back to develop a winning mentality and credentials.

We can laugh about it being Scotland but he comes in with 9 titles in 3 years I think. He knows how to win now.

Which is why in my mind, we should not scoff at recruiting managers or players from the top clubs in the smaller leagues (Scotland, Portugal, Holland, Belgium). Yes it's not one of the big 5. But these guys will come from clubs that are regularly competing for titles or in Europe.

With any manager there’s always some risk that things don’t work out despite their previous reputation or success.

If you simply take this logic then AVB would have been the perfect manager for us- he won four trophies with Porto, including a Europa league and domestic title, yet we all know how that worked out.

Same with Ramos who had won European titles with Sevilla.

I personally don’t think it as simple as getting in a manager who has won titles in a lesser league because that means he should have a winners mentality- it’s definitely preferable but not a guarantee of success

People asking for Eddie Howe take a look at Marco Silva, was the next big thing as he was doing wonders at a lower club.
Howe is exactly the same, he’s doing a great job at Bournemouth but that doesn’t mean he will do well at a bigger club.

Back
Top Bottom