Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What America associates our stadium as has literally nothing to do with what the stadium actually is. Nor, is it relevant as it's something no Spurs fan should give a fuck about. Most of America think they won World

It is multi-purpose stadium, as it has always been, which primarily hosts Tottenham Hotspur football matches, and always will.

it being able to cater to other sports such as American Football and Rugby, doesn't make it equally a stadium for those sports as opposed to home of football team Tottenham Hotspur.

If it's not primarily a football stadium, why is it currently named after a fucking football team!

Doi!

:levyeyes:
In a few years it will be the home of a london expansion team. Levy knew that going into the construction of the thing.

2 games a year for a decade is somewhat away from a boxing match here and there.

And no its not primarily a football stadium - its a stadium that caters for both which is why it has separate pitches and separate facilities.

The intention is abundantly clear they want a UK based franchise ( which is inevitable) to be based there and it will because no other UK based site comes close to being able accommodate it in the same degree.

Again I don't particularly care but to try and pass this off as a continuation of the past and to suggest that 300 million Americans wont associate the site with the NFL rather than Tottenham Hotspur is simply being dishonest.

Called the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, 20-30 Tottenham games played there every year, a giant gold cockerel both just underneath where the chairman sits and on top of the stadium itself and the owners doing what they can to get the name of the closest train station changed to Tottenham Hotspur.

Compare that to a potential 8-10 NFL games every year should a Franchise move here, we are definitely the main show at the new stadium. The fact it's built to accomdate an NFL franchise is just smart, proactive business with the noise making one seem inevitable.

Last edited:
In a few years it will be the home of a london expansion team. Levy knew that going into the construction of the thing.
I haven't argued that it won't eventually be a home of an NFL side. What I'm saying is that it is an impossibility it can primarily become that.

Firstly, there is simply not enough NFL played to make it usurp football as it's primary usage.

Called the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, 20-30 Tottenham games played there every year, a giant gold cockerel both just underneath where the chairman sits and on top of the stadium itself and the owners doing what they can to get the name of the closest train station changes to Tottenham Hotspur.

Compare that to a potential 8-10 NFL games every year should a Franchise move here, we are definitely the main show at the new stadium. The fact it's built to accomdate an NFL franchise is just smart, proactive business with the noise making one seem inevitable.
It's hilarious these points have to be hit home.

Naming the fucking stadium after a football team, naming the local train station after the football team, will hold mainly football, has historical artefacts of the football team adorning it. But...

...it's not primarily a football stadium.

The stupidity, it hurts.

Something you're deliberately overlooking is that although Spurs are a big club, we are only one of many, many big football clubs in the UK.
It's highly unlikely that this country would ever host more than one NFL franchise, that NFL team will have a monopoly and will of course be highly lucrative and groundbreaking as a result.
That's why ENIC are so desperate to land it.

And you keep talking about match day revenue as if its the cornerstone of the modern game.
We both know that's not the case.
That's all well and good, mate.

But it is you making the claim a franchise will ''100%'' be more lucrative than a PL side, our PL side.

I'm now asking you for evidence of this certainty. Considering, this new franchise is not going to be the Dallas Cowboys overnight.

Something you're deliberately overlooking is that although Spurs are a big club, we are only one of many, many big football clubs in the UK.
It's highly unlikely that this country would ever host more than one NFL franchise, that NFL team will have a monopoly and will of course be highly lucrative and groundbreaking as a result.
That's why ENIC are so desperate to land it.

And you keep talking about match day revenue as if its the cornerstone of the modern game.
We both know that's not the case.

But extra seating capacities allow us to make more money, to attract more fans, to tap into other markets to grow our sports brand, e-gaming, NFL, concert goers, it all adds value in areas that we can control.

TV money and prize money are the golden eggs these days, absolutely but to just sit back and rely on that when as a club we have 3.8m Twitter followers for example and our biggest rivals Woolwich have over 15m would he short sighted. We have a huge opportunity to grow our overseas reputation, much like Woolwich did during the Wenger era but via a different route. Everyone will get the shared TV revenue, league standings bring with it an incremental increase in prize pool but with us finishing above Man U last year and going further in the Champions League, what is it that got them announcing over £600m in revenue? Commercial deals which only come about with a bigger reach for punters.

The stadium and NFL angle is the right way to try and make that happen, without it we don't have anything to differentiate us to the other big hitters. It may end up a dud move but it gives us half a chance.

Called the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, 20-30 Tottenham games played there every year, a giant gold cockerel both just underneath where the chairman sits and on top of the stadium itself and the owners doing what they can to get the name of the closest train station changes to Tottenham Hotspur.

Compare that to a potential 8-10 NFL games every year should a Franchise move here, we are definitely the main show at the new stadium. The fact it's built to accommodate an NFL franchise is just smart, proactive business with the noise making one seem inevitable.

So the club are not looking secure a naming rights deal then?

The number of games is irrelevant, its simply a reality of the respective sports - its a dual purpose stadium which once a franchise becomes established will the base of two separate sporting franchises.

It doesn't matter for second that the tube station is called Tottenham Hotspur or that there is a cockerel on the roof - in North American it will be know as the home of the English NFL franchise.

That's all well and good, mate.

But it is you making the claim a franchise will ''100%'' be more lucrative than a PL side, our PL side.

I'm now asking you for evidence of this certainty. Considering, this new franchise is not going to be the Dallas Cowboys overnight.
Ok. Maybe you disagree.
But based on the evidence in my previous post, I believe a single UK based NFL franchise will be more lucrative, marketable, and profitable than a Premier League football club.
And that's the reason, in my opinion, ENIC are so desperate to land it.
The words of our Head of marketing, which I quoted to you this morning, pretty much confirm that.

Ok. Maybe you disagree.
But based on the evidence in my previous post, I believe a single UK based NFL franchise will be more lucrative, marketable, and profitable than a Premier League football club.
And that's the reason, in my opinion, ENIC are so desperate to land it.
The words of our Head of marketing, which I quoted to you this morning, pretty much confirm that.
When saying something is 100%, it's not unfair to ask for evidence. It more appears you're just saying stuff to try to denigrate without actually doing the critical thinking behind it.

As for the Head of Marketing marketing the brand new stadium to optimise it's possible use. That's his job. If he's not marketing everything about the Club, what is he doing?

If the NFL things does become dud, will these lot then begin to call it primarily a football stadium I wonder?

For me the NFL decision Levy has made has been his best one to date. I don't like that football has changed so much that we need to look for financial angles but one day a Superbowl will be hosted outside of America, the first one ever and guess who sits at the top of the tree when it comes to potentially hosting it?

It's a huge angle to attract growing markets not just in the US but in any untapped NFL markets as well. Asia is an obvious one and over time Africa and South America will develop so being the only team to have a two pronged attack on the two biggest sports under one roof sets us apart.

Even in the U.K, all of those people who visit the stadium who aren't into football who end up getting into it, we will have planted seeds to get them on board or parents taking their children who don't support anyone yet etc. eGamers or anyone wanting to do the Skywalk or the deep sea diving tank that's due to be built during the next phase etc. It opens up many angles, gives us as much chance to grow as we need.

The conspiracies will continue over it but it is Tottenham Hotspur's stadium regardless

Last edited:
What America associates our stadium as has literally nothing to do with what the stadium actually is. Nor, is it relevant as it's something no Spurs fan should give a fuck about. Most of America think they won World

It is multi-purpose stadium, as it has always been, which primarily hosts Tottenham Hotspur football matches, and always will.

it being able to cater to other sports such as American Football and Rugby, doesn't make it equally a stadium for those sports as opposed to home of football team Tottenham Hotspur.

If it's not primarily a football stadium, why is it currently named after a fucking football team!

Doi!

:levyeyes:

Jesus christ Its not catering for other sports - it catering for another sporting franchise. There is a clear distinction between the two.

It will be the residence of the English NFL franchise - it ceases to simply be just Tottenham Hotspur's stadium at that point because it's not longer a venue where the sole occupant is Tottenham Hotspur. The stadiums has been designed with this mind so to try argue against this is quite astonishing really.

And the fact that the US and Canada will associate it the NFL - close to 400 million people kind of suggests that your argument doesnt hold much sway doesn't it? Why would they do that if it was just English football stadium?

As for it being called the Tottenham Hotspur stadium why is called that and not WHL? Tell me?

So the club are not looking secure a naming rights deal then?

The number of games is irrelevant, its simply a reality of the respective sports - its a dual purpose stadium which once a franchise becomes established will the base of two separate sporting franchises.

It doesn't matter for second that the tube station is called Tottenham Hotspur or that there is a cockerel on the roof - in North American it will be know as the home of the English NFL franchise.

Yes we are looking for a naming rights deal and rightly so. We. Didn't call it the London arena or anything that detaches the name of the club and the stadium, we could have called it anything but we went with our name. Even though we are looking for a naming Right deal etc why do those things you've pointed out matter? Will we still be playing all of our home games there? Will the pitch be exactly the same one we play on at present? Will it still hold 62,000 an drew be based in N17?

I really don't understand why people have issues with us making the most of a stadium that sits empty 13 out of 14 days on average a year. The NFL games recently raked in a rumoured £4m+ in food and drink revenue, add a London based NFL franchise an drew that's roughly an extra £20m a season. Add to that the inevitable commercial partnership revenue that can and will come with that an drew the money will start to show the worth behind it all.

An extra £20m in food and drink sales alone. For anyone saying that's nothing imagine what a team like Bolton would say to that kind of money at the moment. Boxing is another, people will come, enjoy it and it will sway them.

I believe we have a license that allows us to host 20-25 extra events per year, in food and drink revenue that could equate to £50m on top of what we as a football club make, that's the figure we are rumoured to have had to pay off each year until we received our long term bond agreement earlier this month.

PL football, eGaming, NFL, Boxing, concerts, abseiling, diving tank fans and business conferences compared to just a football stadium. 8 revenue stream avenues instead of just the 1. It makes complete business sense to do so and it will add numbers to our fan base, make the area better, add commercial value where we lack it makes complete sense to me it then some will disagree and that's fine, that's their right to.

It will be the residence of the English NFL franchise - it ceases to simply be just Tottenham Hotspur's stadium at that point because it's not longer a venue where the sole occupant is Tottenham Hotspur. The stadiums has been designed with this mind so to try argue against this is quite astonishing really.
Firstly, I never said the sole occupant will be Tottenham Hotspur, I argued against the assertion that the NFL franchise will become it's PRIMARY tenant. Learn the difference.

Secondly, I have at no point argued the stadium wasn't designed with other sports in mind. I literally called it a multi-sport stadium. 0 for 2.

And the fact that the US and Canada will associate it the NFL - close to 400 million people kind of suggests that your argument doesnt hold much sway doesn't it? Why would they do that if it was just English football stadium?
Again, opinion is not fact. What the US and Canada associate our stadium as, does not make it so. If enough people believe something, doesn't make it true. Over 3 billion people believe in Gods, does that make Gods real?

Also, LOL that you believe the entirety of the U.S and Canadian population will be watching the NFL at Spurs. Hahaha.

0-3.

As for it being called the Tottenham Hotspur stadium why is called that and not WHL? Tell me?
Because they want to market THE FOOTBALL CLUB TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR before acquiring naming rights.

0-4.

If the NFL things does become dud, will these lot then begin to call it primarily a football stadium I wonder?

To potentially get a piece of this pie, all the club needed to do was build a retractable pitch and some fancy NFL changing rooms, yet people don't see the genius and logic behind it! Madness!

42 of the top 50 biggest sports teams are based in the USA, we get to plug our name into marketing streams some could never dream of because of a retractable pitch! Wonderful stuff

960x0.jpg

Manchester United was the world’s only pro sports team worth more than $2 billion in 2012. Now there are at least 50, including almost every NFL team.

1920x0.jpg

Last edited:
th
Yes we are looking for a naming rights deal and rightly so. We. Didn't call it the London arena or anything that detaches the name of the club and the stadium, we could have called it anything but we went with our name. Even though we are looking for a naming Right deal etc why do those things you've pointed out matter? Will we still be playing all of our home games there? Will the pitch be exactly the same one we play on at present? Will it still hold 62,000 an drew be based in N17?

I really don't understand why people have issues with us making the most of a stadium that sits empty 13 out of 14 days on average a year. The NFL games recently raked in a rumoured £4m+ in food and drink revenue, add a London based NFL franchise an drew that's roughly an extra £20m a season. Add to that the inevitable commercial partnership revenue that can and will come with that an drew the money will start to show the worth behind it all.

An extra £20m in food and drink sales alone. For anyone saying that's nothing imagine what a team like Bolton would say to that kind of money at the moment. Boxing is another, people will come, enjoy it and it will sway them.

I believe we have a license that allows us to host 20-25 extra events per year, in food and drink revenue that could equate to £50m on top of what we as a football club make, that's the figure we are rumoured to have had to pay off each year until we received our long term bond agreement earlier this month.

PL football, eGaming, NFL, Boxing, concerts, abseiling, diving tank fans and business conferences compared to just a football stadium. 8 revenue stream avenues instead of just the 1. It makes complete business sense to do so and it will add numbers to our fan base, make the area better, add commercial value where we lack it makes complete sense to me it then some will disagree and that's fine, that's their right to.

They called it the Tottenham Hotpspur stadium clearly because they wanted a functionary title that wouldn't become associated it and in turn limit the potential sponsorship revenues. Absolutely no one outside of football commentators calls it that and even they refer to it as the 'new stadium' which is essentially what it is referred to by most (which means they have been effective in the aim).

The potential revenues generated by this association (which much like the stadium itself is grossly exaggerated by the supporter base) are irreverent to the point here. The suggestion is that this is a continuation of previous sporting involvements when it evidently is not,

Last edited:
To potentially get a piece of this pie, all the club needed to do was build a retractable pitch and some fancy NFL changing rooms, yet people don't see the genius and logic behind it! Madness!

42 of the top 50 biggest sports teams are based in the USA, we get to plug our name into marketing streams some could never dream of because of a retractable pitch! Wonderful stuff

960x0.jpg

Manchester United was the world’s only pro sports team worth more than $2 billion in 2012. Now there are at least 50, including almost every NFL team.

1920x0.jpg
Thanks for adding more evidence that a single UK NFL franchise will be more lucrative, profitable and globally marketable then a premier league football club.
Particularly one that hasn't had a recent trophy laden history.

Thanks for adding more evidence that a single UK NFL franchise will be more lucrative, profitable and globally marketable then a premier league football club.
More evidence? You provided none.

Where is your evidence that Mark Twain ''added to''? Can you quote it?

Because, as ever, you ran when I asked. Contrition and cowardice. A big night.

EDIT - Suddenly gone quiet again.

Last edited:

Of course it's lucrative, why else would the owners have seen it as a no brainer? All we had to do was build some changing rooms, a retractable pitch and if a London franchise ever does occur it's set up for a fortune.

I don't begrudge the owners for doing so, I think its hugely smart business. Tottenham are one of the biggest football teams currently, we surpass Juventus based on worth, adding an extra revenue stream via the most valuable sport globally just makes complete sense to me, even if I do see why you see certain risk that comes with it. I think it's far fetched but I do see your way of thinking mate.

Firstly, I never said the sole occupant will be Tottenham Hotspur, I argued against the assertion that the NFL franchise will become it's PRIMARY tenant. Learn the difference.

No what you are arguing is that Tottenham Hotpur will remain the primary tenant and that this is a continuation of past involvements when it reality it will cease to be that the moment a NFL franchise becomes established there. Learn the difference.

Secondly, I have at no point argued the stadium wasn't designed with other sports in mind. I literally called it a multi-sport stadium. 0 for 2.

No you suggested that this was comparable to boxing, baseball and NFL being previously played at WHL - that this was a continuation of before and that most stadiums were multi purpose. The reality is actually completely different because most stadiums cannot convert directly into another sporting venue because unlike ours they weren't designed for that. Keep trying.

Again, opinion is not fact. What the US and Canada associate our stadium as, does not make it so. If enough people believe something, doesn't make it true. Over 3 billion people believe in Gods, does that make Gods real?

It does so in the mind of that audience - if their exposure to that venue is with the NFL and via an NFL franchise being based, why would they associate it with anything else?

Also, LOL that you believe the entirety of the U.S and Canadian population will be watching the NFL at Spurs. Hahaha.

Strawman ahoy! No I don't believe that which is why I didn't suggest it- what I was referencing is the North American market which comprises of that figure but keeping going.

Because they want to market THE FOOTBALL CLUB TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR before acquiring naming rights.

0-4.

Market it to who exactly? If this is so integral to the branding of the football club why are they looking to securing a sponsorship deal?

Back
Top Bottom