Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We didn't lose 7-2 because of Dele, Eriksen, Lamela or whoever. We lost because we are a club in crisis. The sooner sorted is the better.
I agree with you, team selection and tactics were way off.

I haven't watched the highlights but I think all 4 goals scored by Gnarby were from right side of our defence. You don't need a brain surgeon to identify short coming of that few days ago.

Agree. Its not Deles fault we conceded 7!

Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Wanyama, Son, Jan, Toby, Lloris, Rose and Lamela would have walked into any top 4 team three years ago.

A squad like this? CL finalists?

Its time people realise we got there in spite, not because of Pochettino
Funnily enough at 1-1 I was thinking "we have some really good players here".

I feel sorry for Poch. What is he meant to do with a squad like this? Won't be surprised if he walks.
I won't feel sorry for any manager or player in the PL. He is on £8m a year for doing something he enjoys as a hobby with massive benefits. Plus any decent would have resigned, when not happy with signings....etc.

Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Wanyama, Son, Jan, Toby, Lloris, Rose and Lamela would have walked into any top 4 team three years ago.

A squad like this? CL finalists?

Its time people realise we got there in spite, not because of Pochettino
The drop in performance of Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Dier, Rose and Eriksen in that time, the change in formation that doesn't suit players and of course injuries have all played a major factor.

Last night after a few minutes I looked at that Bayern attack and thought "Shit, if we play a high line, we're fucked". Jan and Toby have now become two of the slowest centre halves in the league and their inability to form a partnership like they once had is cause for alarm. Serge, who the fuck knows what you are going to get from him, mainly disappointment.

There are many, many things wrong with both the players and the manager at the minute, many are simple fixes like stop passing the ball around the box so much, close down the area 25 yards out from goal when we are defending, and stop defending so fucking narrow. But these are either being left unaddressed or the players won't follow instructions.

Poch needs to show us he has the cajones to stay on and fix things, or he needs to get out now.

Simply continuing on our merry way, and we're in danger of being teleported back to the good old days of Gerry Francis and such.

71500322_10156600595248803_4902643694517092352_n.jpg

Start the restructure today and make Kane the captain. I won't say a Captain in goal never works as it has been seen in the past that it can very occasionally. But, Hugo is not that character, he does not rush up to the ref to remonstrate a poor decision, although difficult when in goal and one of the reasons I would never make the goalkeeper captain. How that conversation goes with Hugo is another matter, but surely he can see from a tactical point of view a player in the midst of the action is better suited to be captain.

So pissed off about last night and am just numb about it all this Morning. The worrying thing is how it gets fixed and turned around in a short space of time. If there is some poison in the dressing room it needs sorting out, or send them down the road. I would rather bring in youth and reserve team players who want to be there and will fight for the shirt.

That's like saying that you would be happier to ride to work on a donkey because your cars running rough and needs a service.
You'd give away one of the most sought after managers on the planet and take a punt at - go on then, who?
Something big is wrong, and it needs sorting out, but getting rid of the guy who can do it isnt the answer.
Levy needs to show why he gets the big bucks and sort this shit out and he needs to do it quickly.

My guess is that shifting the want away players, getting in a decent central defender that can drive the team and dumping the dross will be better than sacking the one person who has the skillset to fix it.

No it is actually totally opposite situation.
You are saying that we should stick with Poch is metaphore for a donkey, or stagnation to put it differently. When first cars came around there were certainly guys who were all like "oh, come on. we have old reliable solution right here. do you know that you can badly fail with your new fancy ass solution. come on does that automobile thing even make sense? how do you control it?!? it sounds so risky, let's just stick with the current option, shall we?!?"

this "sought after" manager bit is very much open. We can assess this when he leaves the club. I don't believe that any of the big clubs would come after him. He is tactically immature - he has one plan - be very fit, outrun the opposition, dominate posession, play high line, win ball high upfield. If that does not work, he is out of alternatives. Plus he is maddly stubborn.

I would be totally willing to make a bet, if that wasnt for
1) too long of a timeline to remember
2) against ppl who I've never actually met
that Poch, unless a domestically dominant club such as PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern, Ajax, Celtic, Juventus would give him a go, he will never win silverware as a manager.

P.S you are totally ignoring the fact that Poch himself threatened to leave if he wins something.
I mean you don't build a team according to manager wishes for long term if manager says such things. We put up significant amount into players this summer, what if we do it in next 2 windows as well, and then he just f**cs off, and new coach does not rate those players that were brought?

Funnily enough at 1-1 I was thinking "we have some really good players here".
At 1-1, they WERE good players... even at 1-2 at HT out wasn't the end of the world...
Amazing what 45mins of switching off can do! Which is what GREAT players DON'T do... (at least not collectively!)

We STILL have a GOOD team, with one or two GREAT players... but we don't have a great TEAM.

still, the one positive, at least last night has taken the fear of ever getting tonked at home ever again...
It's done now, it's in the history books for all the wrong reasons. But it's happened, and the plaster is off.

Time to move on, and take out ALL our frustrations on the next poor fucker we come across...

Sorry Brighton.

THIS COCK HAS BEEN SPANKED... YOU'RE GONNA GET IT ALL IN YOUR FACE ON SATURDAY....

Sorry, that last bit was a text meant for someone else!! :pochfacepalm::pochbye:

....aaaaaand SEND!

Lots of people here forget Bayern is a very strong team. If you are not focused they will punish you severely. Still I am convinced Spurs will reach the group stage, with or without Pocchetino. Two wins and a draw in the next four games will be enough.

Last edited:
Lots of people here forget Bayern is a very strong team. If you are not focused they will punish you severely. Still I am convinced Spurs will teach the group stage, with or without Pocchetino. Two wins and a draw in the next four games will be enough.

What exactly are we going to teach them ?

( Sorry for the sarcasm, its been that kind of day ).

:pocheyes:

What a shower, and I'm not just referring to the weather.
You know that things are terribly wrong, when even I can see that tactically, we were on a hiding to nothing in the second half.
I would make the whole team - players and coaching staff - sit down and watch that game at least three times, they then might not put us through any thing like that again!
Shameful display, and if that doesn't give them a kick up the backside, bin the lot of them and play the youth team!

Lots of people here forget Bayern is a very strong team. If you are not focused they will punish you severely. Still I am convinced Spurs will teach the group stage, with or without Pocchetino. Two wins and a draw in the next four games will be enough.
Bayern are a very strong team but still not an excuse for collapsing and conceding 7 goals. I think we will go through but Red Star will be no pushover.

You know that things are terribly wrong, when even I can see that tactically, we were on a hiding to nothing in the second half.
I would make the whole team - players and coaching staff - sit down and watch that game at least three times, they then might not put us through any thing like that again!
Shameful display, and if that doesn't give them a kick up the backside, bin the lot of them and play the youth team!
Even better, dock their wages. If we have to pay a good chunk of our weekly wages to sit and watch that, then make them watch it back and dock a large chunk of their wages for the privilege too so they can see how that performance made us feel.

Agree,

Have always tried to remain upbeat, but this loss ( or, more so the capitulation ), in the last 20, has broken my faith in the camp.

TBH, even at 2-4, I held hope for a draw. To then fold the way we did was gut wrenching.

Hopefully it is the wake up call that is greatly needed.

Back
Top Bottom