Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he was looking good in the first half. Ran harder, more bite in his defensive work, and he was the most press-resistant player we had out there. It's got to be tough on him playing in a midfield 3 with Winks and Sissoko.

How would you use him?

Sissoko 's main strength is powerful running, so when you most need him in position beside you in CM.....he might well be upfield or at best trying to get back.

So better to have Dier (or Skipp if Dier not yet fit enough) and Winks beside Ndombele.

That allows Dier to sit deep and allow Ndombele and Winks to be slightly further forward when we are in possession.

Because it's a shockingly shit point that bears no relevance to a black Frenchman coming to work in London.
No parallels huh? Perhaps it was to allow you the opportunity to empathize with his situation...you know, not only having difficulty communicating but also standing out like a sore thumb. Gotcha.

I thought he was looking good in the first half. Ran harder, more bite in his defensive work, and he was the most press-resistant player we had out there. It's got to be tough on him playing in a midfield 3 with Winks and Sissoko.

How would you use him?
You ask a lot of me here. You're asking me to divine WTF Poch is trying tactically. But if it were all up to me I would begin with a proper #6 supporting him. You've seen him previously so you know he's accustomed to having fewer people in his space.

No parallels huh? Perhaps it was to allow you the opportunity to empathize with his situation...you know, not only having difficulty communicating but also standing out like a sore thumb. Gotcha.

Englishman living in Spain so I get it's difficult but I think his Skin colour is of little importance in the matter, do black people in London really stick out like a sore thumb?

Englishman living in Spain so I get it's difficult but I think his Skin colour is of little importance in the matter, do black people in London really stick out like a sore thumb?
Even in Newcastle it wouldn't be much of an issue, let alone London. The language barrier is a different matter and brings practical problems with it , but his skin colour is completely irrelevant imo.

Last edited:
Black man trying to educate you but feel free to ignore any cultural sensitivity edification.

And even right there you have made some of my point for me. You say Englishman, not white Englishman. Why? Because you don't have to as it is understood. So ask me again if being fucking black means anything in London. And just because they are there doesn't mean they are not 'other'. You just made them 'other' with your statement. Which brings me back to my initial point of not speaking the language AND being black AND my fucking Ghana point. You would be immediately identifiable as 'other'.

Last edited:
Black man trying to educate you but feel free to ignore any cultural sensitivity edification.

And even right there you have made some of my point for me. You say Englishman, not white Englishman. Why? Because you don't have to as it is understood. So ask me again if being fucking black means anything in London. And just because they are there doesn't mean they are not 'other'. You just made them other with your statement. Which brings me back to my initial point of not speaking the language AND being black AND my fucking Ghana point. You would be immediately identifiable as 'other'.

I have no idea what you are on about, try writing it clearly because it's barely readable.

What turned me on when I saw him in action for Lyon was his progressive passing from deep.
He has gotten a few of those off so far. Actually quite a few and it's jarring when it happens since it's so rare for our team.

Would you be happy to see him alongside a proper #6 in a double pivot?
But if it were all up to me I would begin with a proper #6 supporting him.
:pochserious2:

no, it may have a lot to do with being black as well as the other things. I noticed you ignored my point about being in Ghana and how you might feel (presuming you are white which is a very fair presumption considering your line of questioning).

Yes but Ndombele has already spent a couple of years playing in France - and I'd guess the % of non white populations of France and Britain are probably pretty similar, with London will have a higher % of non white population than the rest of UK.

So if Ndombele was happy enough in France with (lets say as an example) 1 in 8 people being BAME (and nothing to suggest he wasn't) then Britain wouldn't be such a change, other than of course language.

And Spurs as a club has had black players for years - Garth Crooks for example was a famous player for us in the early 80's and wasn't the first and one of our legendary captains in Ledley King more recently - so its not as if Ndombele is any way unusual in his ethnicity.

So whilst I'd give you the language barrier, as it must make talking to team mates a bit more difficult in the early days, its not as if he'd be the first Spurs player not fluent in English (and at least he has a few other French speakers in the team to help - Lloris, Sissoko, Aurier to name 3 and Jesus first team coach is fluent in French, not sure skin colour is more important than a 1001 differences any player wont find in changing country. Even down to needing to learn how to drive on a different side of the road or finding pubs in UK rather than bars and cafes in France...….you name it

Couldn't agree more.

What I am trying to establish is whether you think he is more suited to a 2-man midfield or a 3-man midfield.
It would depend on the constituent parts I'd imagine. I wouldn't say Winks-Sissoko-Ndom is an ideal CM3 from which to judge. And at Lyon it was mostly CM2. I imagine he could/would/will be fine in a CM3 but it's not ideal with Sissoko or winks. They don't really complement each other.

Yes but Ndombele has already spent a couple of years playing in France - and I'd guess the % of non white populations of France and Britain are probably pretty similar, with London will have a higher % of non white population than the rest of UK.

So if Ndombele was happy enough in France with (lets say as an example) 1 in 8 people being BAME (and nothing to suggest he wasn't) then Britain wouldn't be such a change, other than of course language.

And Spurs as a club has had black players for years - Garth Crooks for example was a famous player for us in the early 80's and wasn't the first and one of our legendary captains in Ledley King more recently - so its not as if Ndombele is any way unusual in his ethnicity.

So whilst I'd give you the language barrier, as it must make talking to team mates a bit more difficult in the early days, its not as if he'd be the first Spurs player not fluent in English (and at least he has a few other French speakers in the team to help - Lloris, Sissoko, Aurier to name 3 and Jesus first team coach is fluent in French, not sure skin colour is more important than a 1001 differences any player wont find in changing country. Even down to needing to learn how to drive on a different side of the road or finding pubs in UK rather than bars and cafes in France...….you name it
Are you BAME?

Back
Top Bottom