Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
This thread has gone very quiet after todays game.

Not really a bad thing, it shows people are reflecting. I doubt there's many on here with a personal vandetta against Poch, people just want what's best for the club.

I want Poch out because I think he can't possibly turn it around, but I wouldn't be complaining if we did because...well, I like to see my football team win, strangely enough

star-sport-1.jpg

He played 3 cm again and eriksen again , everyone seems to scream for a change drop that change that , but poch just play all the same even keep playing from the back .. soo what does he think is the problem ? Cuz it seem like he don't know and just hope it will go away .
we didn't look good and could easily lost to a very poor Southampton the red card I think flatter us in the end .

So will the problem will just go away on its own ?
Just doing the same thing and hope for different results I guess ..:goonermong:

When Poch came, he had a young squad which he managed to get to respect each other and to pull in the same direction. He instilled a clear off-the-pitch and on-the-pitch philosophy and a way of playing that at that time was quite extraordinary in the PL. He got the players to pull together and he got the very best out of most of them.

The squad was fresh, energetic, young and eager. We played aggressive, fantastic, offensive football. Somewhat naive, perhaps, against the big clubs, but it provided mostly very good results.

I think our downfall came partly from our too early success, partly from our lack of new blood, and partly from our attempts to eliminate the naivety.

Our good results were well deserved. They came from excellent collective and individual performances. The football we played, and the work by Poch and his staff with the players, made most of our lads play as if they were among the very best in the world intheir positions. That, in turn, gave them and us expectations. Many of our players, we know, started dreaming of greener pastures: It started with Rose, Walker and Alderweireld, as far as I know, but also spread to Eriksen and probably others. Poch has struggled to handle the egos - which is to be expected in a "smaller club", with less exposure and, more importantly, a smaller wage budget.

Additionally, the success came at a cost in terms of exposure, pressure, and wear. We all remember the fun bromance that we got to witness from Dele and Dier in Dele's first, very impressive season. Bigger, smarter clubs would, or at least should, protect their young, inexperienced stars from media exposure. We threw Dele and Dier head first into the limelight. I believe they have both suffered from it since, and that the over-exposure is part of the reason they have both declined as footballers ever since.

However, the wear may have been an even more important factor. Our young squad has been rather small - or at least it has appeared to be when looking at how our first eleven has been rushed back from injuries and been very rarely rested. Additionally, due to our and their success, many of them have become crucial players for their national teams, and went on to bring their national teams success in the latest world cup, which have caused additional wear not matched by any other club in the world.

Whether it be the result of handling the players with regards to fatigue, or a result of changes to deal with the naivety of our early Poch era high press, our approach to football has changed over the last few years.

I think it was in 17/18 that I first clearly recognised us park the bus and counter in the CL against Real Madrid. It provided us some great results. However, it looked to me as success at a great cost. It looked apparent that we had worked on adding that approach to our game, to give us another way to win games - a plan B. A lot of fans wanted us to become better against the big teams and to develop a game plan that would be efficient against the giants, a desire probably matched by Poch and his boys. That, however, clearly diminishes the strength and efficiency of our plan A.

We have also seen a result of the desire to have other ways of playing in our player transfers. We've bought fast, tricky wingers, and we've bought big, strong attackers. We've included midfielders with a passing game, unable to really dominate the middle of the park.

This has led to us being able to grind out some results, to steal a few points here and there, and even to reach a Champions League final. Was it for the best, though?

In my opinion, clearly no. Instead of getting players in with other skillsets to provide alternatives to our first eleven, we should have gone for players who could fill the roles of our first eleven. Backup instead of alternatives. Players to challenge, instead of players to be used if we needed another game plan.

We should have perfected our style of football, instead of developing four different, semi-efficient styles and strategies. It seems to be a commonly accepted idea, that teams need to know how to play different styles, different formations, to match up to and beat different opponents. Sure, I can agree that sometimes a gameplan may need some tweaks to get a result. But who are the most succesful? Generally, the most succesful are the teams that have a clear approach to the game, a way ofplaying that they just do so well that they make themselves very hard to stop.

Look at Liverpool and City, at Barca under Guardiola, and at certain lesser clubs like Burnley. They focus on playing their style of football, and they let their opponents have to deal with that. That is what we did under Poch up until the summer of '17 (mostly). That allowed our players to get comfortable in and clearly know their role.

Now, our game plan is far less consistent, as is our quality of football (which often feels non-existant). Our players, suffering from fatigue, and over-exposure over time, also suffers from having to deal with inconsistent game plans.

I do believe in Poch, I like Poch, but he has to get back his energy, his confidence and his original one game plan. We need to be Spurs - a team that others have to deal with, that will come at you - not just another clubs that adapts to get a result.

We need to get rid of the bad apples and start fresh. With OUR style of attractive football. The transition will be tough, we, as fans, need to support our management through it.

Fucking hell, get your own blog mate!

Boring shit.

Told you I wasn’t joking that I’d take him.
If he was Croatian or Dutch or Spanish everyone would be saying “why would he come here!!!”

I like him....we’ve all actually forgotten how shit it was for 15 years
Southgate for me if Poch goes
He’d have Parrot as a new Kane and Skipp would be our Steve Perryman in two season

We could do a lot worse. He’s a good manager with real footballing tactics

This story seems a bit more accurate:

I think the strategy is to wait for Poch to leave us so we don't have to pay him compensation for the remainder of his contract and instead get compensation from Man Utd or Real Madrid.

I hope he doesn't go to United because that could come back to bite us. Of course, it's also possible that Poch is waiting for us to sack him so he gets a nice double pay day which leaves us in a very unpleasant deadlock situation. That would certainly account for the disharmony in the squad.

He played 3 cm again and eriksen again , everyone seems to scream for a change drop that change that , but poch just play all the same even keep playing from the back .. soo what does he think is the problem ? Cuz it seem like he don't know and just hope it will go away .
we didn't look good and could easily lost to a very poor Southampton the red card I think flatter us in the end .

Said it yesterday mate, the players dug deep but the manager did absolutely nothing tactically to deal with the mighty Danny Ings and co.

Wave after wave after wave of attack and there was nothing in his locker that changed the emphasis. We just tried to counter, but never had a foothold in the game.

Sissoko was playing RB for us three seasons ago, it was no master stroke in the heat of the moment. Two like for like subs (Son/Lamela and Ndombele/Dier) so zero tactical changes.

Just hang on and hope they didn’t score.
Doesn’t fill me with hope for Bayern, and our RB situation is a laughable joke.

Subtly different formation though

Llors
Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks
Eriksen NDombele Son
Kane

This thread has gone very quiet after todays game.

Ah well there's always Tuesday, next week or the week after.

No one or not many want Pochettino gone but equally many posters now recognise and are prepared to question him. I think that's healthy.

Yesterday felt like a big win. Context was clear but winning felt huge. Relief was palpable.

Pochettino has effectively committed to changing the squad and he needs to.

It's overdue but if he gets to January, is backed and posters/fans see those changes taking shape with committed and objectively good players most will accept that. Ndombele (now getting there, Sessegnon hopefully and Lo Celso are the start.

Then comes the all important trophies. Had he won at least the one or two our quality over the 5 years has demanded this would not be such a problematic period and Pochettino would certainly not be the subject of query.

Yesterday was an outlier because of the red card and the Hugo oddness...most other games those won’t happen. Once the first went in, we were on top, but then Aurier presses the self-destruct. N’dombele was excellent, as were Son, Kane and Eriksen. It may be as simple as an ageing defence - but Sanchez and Foyth aren’t quite ready, and the league (and entitled fans), genuinely aren’t ready for the many, many goals that will be conceded from brain farts and the general lack of experience.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

This is the end station....from here it’s purgatory.

We can’t have a manager who can’t get his team to perform for a whole game.

Zero tactics, relying on the players and throwing them in like rolling a dice.
The pride is gone, the ground is like a morgue and the whole club needs a lift.

Get rid

We don’t concede 7 at home. Game over Poch.

Knocked out by a team 3 leagues below us last week

Concede 7 at home the week after that

Poch has turned us into an absolute laughing stock

There is no coming back from this , remember when Woolwich used to lose 5 1 against Bayern every year and we all used to laugh , well it's us now except I wish we had lost 5 1

Back
Top Bottom