Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace (14 September @ 15.00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just about every game he's played (as an 18yo don't forget) he's shown signs of what he's about, tenacity, dynamism and an ability to actually get his head up and play an incisive pass - if you want a stand out game, how about Preston away in the cup last year, where as well as having a great game in midfield generally he also got two assists, and one of them was a defence splitting pass from midfield.

He was also probably our best player in pre season this year, OK it's pre season, but he's still a kid playing against top teams like Bayern, RM etc

I don't want him replacing Winks per se right now, but he could do a damn site better job with his attributes as a midfielder than Sissoko, who can't press, can't pass and plods about like a drunken rhino.

He got some qualities we are drastically lacking, some fucking vim and urgency, some aggression and some ability to actually play football. The kind of qualities Poch built his rep on once upon a time.

He's 18/19yo having his first few games, we seem happy to tolerate oder players taking a whole season to learn how to not shit the bed every time they play, why not give the same sort of leeway to him.
I rate skipp and Sissoko isn’t playing well this season so I would actually agree with you. Your anti Sissoko bias is apt at the moment

Really?

The day Poch leaves I don't see us struggling for a new manager of equal level at all.
Poch earns 8 mil a year so we obviously are not adverse to paying a top manager a top salary.
And I know that Levy has his critics, some of it earned and some of it not but let's be honest. He's not any more difficult than any other chairman/president at another top club.

We would without a doubt be of interest for plenty of top level managers, Mourinho in particular has been sending clear vibes that he would be interested should Poch walk/get sacked. Allegri would probably be interested as well but the X factor with him is if he would want to leave Italy.

Marcelino just got canned from Valencia and he is arguably Poch but with a trophy. Since 2012 he got Villareal promoted, made them back to back top 6 and Europa League competitors, then got Valencia back to back CL football and their first trophy in a decade.

There are most definitely interesting managers out there that would be interested in taking the Spurs job.

Poch has earned our trust and should be given time to fix this, but I also think that some fans are afraid of going back to where we were that they cannot imagine a club without him, even tho it is at the end of the day inevitable.

The thing is, since Poch took over we have become one of the more glamorous clubs to manage. A great squad nucleus, young and talented, excellent profits and projections for the future, a great stadium, excellent training facilities and we haven't been reckless with our money so we remain healthy with low risk.

We are now in a situation where we have healthier financial options available than the likes of Juventus do. We compete in what is now the league deemed the most sought after and competitive, and aside from the top 3 in Spain, Bayern Munich and Juve probably we only compete with the top teams in England for quality.

At the moment I'd say we are only behind Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool & Man City based on attractiveness of all things infrastructure and competition level. We have a few around us like Dortmund, Woolwich, Man U & Chelsea granted but we are now in the top 10-12 clubs in the world. Once we start to truly reap the rewards of the 2nd biggest club stadium in England and what will be the 6th-7th biggest in Europe after the San Siro gets knocked down we will continue to be a very attractive option for an aspiring manager as long a season we keep moving in the positive directions over the next few years.

We haven't busted our financial nut, we still have the safety of safeguarding our Champions League revenue from last summer somewhat and are starting to show willingness to pay +£50m for the right kind of talent these days. All in all I think we have a lot to attract a top manager with should Poch and us ever part ways.

I rate skipp and Sissoko isn’t playing well this season so I would actually agree with you. Your anti Sissoko bias is apt at the moment
I'm happy that Poch rates him and puts him in the first team squad, so he's doing something right. Not sure why there is some kind of matchmaking with Winks though, Winks plays more defensively than any of the games I have seen Skipp play in, so I'm not sure they are apples for apples - whereas your comment is to compare him with Sissoko who is also defensively minded (he has to be, as he turns into coco the clown when he gets within 25 yards of the penalty spot)
I think if Sissoko wants to stay in the team he should try to press the case for playing Right back/wide right MF as he has the defensive qualities and speed to play their - and the team needs some solidity in that position.

My biggest concern is why LoCelso isn't being given more time, he has been touted as being a creative force in MF - which we are crying out for. Is he still deemed unfit?

We are in for another thriller if everyone tak4es extra touch or two as usual. We could be so much better but we are NOT because of this long standing problem. The big reason why we have not lifted anything for the past sevral years starting from the Leicester city year.

Any pictures of Ndombele? :harrysmile:
EEWmpSHX4AAi48G.jpg:large

Oddsmakers have us 2/5 to take all 3 vs CP and 21/5 to draw. A weighted average expectation of 2.34 points from the match.

They have us 13/10 to take all the points vs LC and 53/20 to draw. A weighted average of 1.58 points.

All told, oddsmakers suggest we'll take 3.91 points on average from the 2 matches, which is slightly overstated as the bookie's vig has to be figured in. So yeah, 4 points would be about what we should expect. Which means 6 points would really be grand.

I’d rather trust Mystic Meg, Colin the Clairvoyant Crab or Simon the Psychic Squid than a bookie to predict any PL result.

Nervous as fuck about this game

I agree.

This lot no matter where they are in the league or even in whatever division they happen to be in -they somehow know how to get a win or satisfactorily outcome at their London rivals.

It’s in the genetics of the club.

Back
Top Bottom