Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace (14 September @ 15.00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well that's the thing, we are in an awkward spot. Poch has earned our loyalty and we need to give him time to turn things around. I'm just saying that only truly exceptional managers, with silverware under their belt, have managed to accomplish what Poch is trying to do in refreshing their own team.

Let's say Poch had resigned in the summer, there would be no opportunity for players like Vertonghen, Toby, Rose, Kane, Dele etc to coast along because if they don't impress the new manager straight away they would be out of the team and soon out of the club. With Poch having to phase out his own players there is an obvious awkwardness and players can take it easy thinking that "the gaffer knows me". I believe Rose said something like that the other day.

If Mourinho or Allegri came in after the Woolwich game and looked at Rose's defending this season there would be a 0% chance of him starting tomorrow, but Poch is loyal to some players and will give them more chances as a result. To successfully manage this transition to the next "phase" he has to be more ruthless and make tougher decisions. He handed out a new contract to Ben Davies and we spent £25m on a new LB/LW, Rose should be sweating for his place. Another shit game and he has to be taken out. Otherwise the project is doomed. These players who are heading towards 30 and winding down their contracts should be the ones working hardest to earn a new deal, not taking it easy. Poch can't let them have an easy ride just because he's managed them for 5 years. If he can't get them to shape up in the next few months then we will have to make a change.

Supposition arguably is another word for foresight but in this reality there is no manager available to replace the one we have and he has earned his place anyhow, and changing the coaching team now is unthinkable.

Last edited:
Supposition arguably is another word for foresight but in this reality there is no manager available to replace the one we have and he has earned his place anyhow; and changing the coaching team now is unthinkable.
Really?

The day Poch leaves I don't see us struggling for a new manager of equal level at all.
Poch earns 8 mil a year so we obviously are not adverse to paying a top manager a top salary.
And I know that Levy has his critics, some of it earned and some of it not but let's be honest. He's not any more difficult than any other chairman/president at another top club.

We would without a doubt be of interest for plenty of top level managers, Mourinho in particular has been sending clear vibes that he would be interested should Poch walk/get sacked. Allegri would probably be interested as well but the X factor with him is if he would want to leave Italy.

Marcelino just got canned from Valencia and he is arguably Poch but with a trophy. Since 2012 he got Villareal promoted, made them back to back top 6 and Europa League competitors, then got Valencia back to back CL football and their first trophy in a decade.

There are most definitely interesting managers out there that would be interested in taking the Spurs job.

Poch has earned our trust and should be given time to fix this, but I also think that some fans are afraid of going back to where we were that they cannot imagine a club without him, even tho it is at the end of the day inevitable.

Have we become Everton? Expecting 4 points from Leicester(A) and Palace(H).

If we really are a Top 4 team and didn't fluke our way to a ECL final then we shouldn't accept anything less than 6 points. Palace are relegation fodder FFS.

A point a piece I can understand against City and Woolwich away, but Leicester just lost their prize CB and replaced with Johnny Evans!! and they play a 33 year old striker.
That 33 year old striker is a very dangerous player. Never write Leicester off
This is a team you have to beat. They won't lay down. You won't beat them without maximum effort

Really?

The day Poch leaves I don't see us struggling for a new manager of equal level at all.
Poch earns 8 mil a year so we obviously are not adverse to paying a top manager a top salary.
And I know that Levy has his critics, some of it earned and some of it not but let's be honest. He's not any more difficult than any other chairman/president at another top club.

We would without a doubt be of interest for plenty of top level managers, Mourinho in particular has been sending clear vibes that he would be interested should Poch walk/get sacked. Allegri would probably be interested as well but the X factor with him is if he would want to leave Italy.

Marcelino just got canned from Valencia and he is arguably Poch but with a trophy. Since 2012 he got Villareal promoted, made them back to back top 6 and Europa League competitors, then got Valencia back to back CL football and their first trophy in a decade.

There are most definitely interesting managers out there that would be interested in taking the Spurs job.

Poch has earned our trust and should be given time to fix this, but I also think that some fans are afraid of going back to where we were that they cannot imagine a club without him, even tho it is at the end of the day inevitable.

Why the fuck t don’t you just start a POCH OUT thread rather than bring such negativity to a thread about a London derby just 24 hours away you idiot!

Why the fuck t don’t you just start a POCH OUT thread rather than bring such negativity to a thread about a London derby just 24 hours away you idiot!
1. There's no need for name calling. We're having a discussion not an argument.

2. I am simply stating that there are options available should Pochettinos/the clubs situation become dire enough. A subject you were yourself taking part in.

Do I want Poch out? No. I'd prefer that he works through this rough patch with his squad. But if we keep firing blanks like against Newcastle and don't take teams like Palace seriously his position is going to have to be called in to question.

Really?

Indeed.... We are not the same proposition for an incoming manager as we were when we hired Poch.

Well that's the thing, we are in an awkward spot. Poch has earned our loyalty and we need to give him time to turn things around. I'm just saying that only truly exceptional managers, with silverware under their belt, have managed to accomplish what Poch is trying to do in refreshing their own team.

Let's say Poch had resigned in the summer, there would be no opportunity for players like Vertonghen, Toby, Rose, Kane, Dele etc to coast along because if they don't impress the new manager straight away they would be out of the team and soon out of the club. With Poch having to phase out his own players there is an obvious awkwardness and players can take it easy thinking that "the gaffer knows me". I believe Rose said something like that the other day.

If Mourinho or Allegri came in after the Woolwich game and looked at Rose's defending this season there would be a 0% chance of him starting tomorrow, but Poch is loyal to some players and will give them more chances as a result. To successfully manage this transition to the next "phase" he has to be more ruthless and make tougher decisions. He handed out a new contract to Ben Davies and we spent £25m on a new LB/LW, Rose should be sweating for his place. Another shit game and he has to be taken out. Otherwise the project is doomed. These players who are heading towards 30 and winding down their contracts should be the ones working hardest to earn a new deal, not taking it easy. Poch can't let them have an easy ride just because he's managed them for 5 years. If he can't get them to shape up in the next few months then we will have to make a change.
I agree but if we are not in the top 3rd by Xmas, then it's time to think very hard about Poch. Every manager, bar about 2, will eventually run out of ideas and it's a natural progressionfor managers to move on. Poch has been one of our best ever but perhaps we need new blood in coaching as well as players.

There is absolutely no reason to think he will leave anytime soon, but the idea of Julian Nagelsmann in 2021/2022 seems appealing to me. A very promising manager and it would freshen things up a little.

Dennis. Don't get so worked up. It is, when all is said and done only a game of football. You can damage your health, send your BP into the stratosphere etc. We want you here on the forum, not lying in a hospital bed.

1. There's no need for name calling. We're having a discussion not an argument.

2. I am simply stating that there are options available should Pochettinos/the clubs situation become dire enough. A subject you were yourself taking part in.

Do I want Poch out? No. I'd prefer that he works through this rough patch with his squad. But if we keep firing blanks like against Newcastle and don't take teams like Palace seriously his position is going to have to be called in to question.

Fair enough.
That said, being born and raised south of the river I have a quite rampant hatred for tomorrow’s rivals so turning a discussion about those shit-houses into a debate about the head coaches future does not sit well with me old chap! :roseunsure:

Dennis. Don't get so worked up. It is, when all is said and done only a game of football. You can damage your health, send your BP into the stratosphere etc. We want you here on the forum, not lying in a hospital bed.

I’m glad someone cares.

Really?

I don't like the talk of Poch leaving, and I don't think he will for a while, unless there really is any deep lying issues.

The day he does decide to leave then we need to aim for managers of Champions League calibre.. Always liked the though of Carlo Ancelotti. Thomas Tuchell or Erik ten Hag would also be good managers to have.

I've always thought we would end up with Mourinho though. He said he wants a project different to what he has had before. He is a serial winner, and would probably take us to a new dimension, however I would love to be a fly on the wall for any meetings between him and Levy.

I don't like the talk of Poch leaving, and I don't think he will for a while, unless there really is any deep lying issues.

The day he does decide to leave then we need to aim for managers of Champions League calibre.. Always liked the though of Carlo Ancelotti. Thomas Tuchell or Erik ten Hag would also be good managers to have.

I've always thought we would end up with Mourinho though. He said he wants a project different to what he has had before. He is a serial winner, and would probably take us to a new dimension, however I would love to be a fly on the wall for any meetings between him and Levy.
That's a joke - right?
I'd rather have Allardyce, Pulis or Warnock
We'd get all three for 10 years - on Mourinho's inevitable pay off when we sack him.

Why do so many people let their overly fertile imaginations run away with them, more often than not based on the fevered musings of some fifth rate journo generating sales on made up stories for the gutter press.

EEWkRtdUUAAFGXj

Back
Top Bottom