Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worth saying :

Outs were :

Vorm, 3rd GK rarely used. Seems to be being replaced by Whiteman
Janssen, striker not used for 2 years. Replaced by up and coming Parrott
N'Koudou, rarely used. Arguably replaced and upgrade in quality by Sessegnon
Trippier, Replaced in practice by KWP formerly 3,rd GK.

So all our outgoings already replaced in numbers, even if Whiteman and KWP are currently not necessarily of the standard of the outgoing players.

And in come Ndombele (arguably replacing and upgrade for Dembele who was in decline for the last 2 years) and Lo Celso. ( Extra quality cover for both CM and AM) not replacing anyone, and promising youngster Jack Clarke

So the squad is better than 12 months ago imo

Think we will see another £100m,+ spent in January and next summer ( combined) to further replace ageing players etc and hopefully bring through another couple of youngsters as we continue to rebuild the squad with younger players. If we do the same and get 3 - 5 players in next January/summer s lot of the rebuild will be complete ,- even though we might need another year to really complete it. Good times.

Think the publicity given to Poch calling him "mini Messi' was the beginning of the end, next day or so made his only appearance for Spurs, a 15 minute appearance in s League cup game maybe v Gillingham.

Problem is the player or his entourage get false expectations of his importance.

In the real world of men's football he'll either thrive or maybe reappear like John Bostock ( said by Rio Ferdinand to be a future England captain) or just sink.

Hyping up kids rarely works.
It's impossible to judge from the outside, specifically for us as we do not even know the character of the player. Are they shy, cocky, arrogant etc?

Guardiola is doing exactly the same thing with Foden, he came out and said he's the best young player he's ever worked with in his professional career!!! (we all know the players he has in Barca B), yet Foden hardly gets any minutes for City, which I find even more extraordinary given that City could beat 90% of the teams they face playing with 10 men.

What we have been told is that he was a desperately shy kid, almost to the point of being withdrawn. I think it was a way of trying to boost him, bring him out more. Maybe that's also what Pep is trying to do with Foden???

One thing I'm confident of and that it was calculated comment, probably completely misguided with hindsight, but Poch works closely with McDermott which makes me feel it was a deliberate attempt, rather than an off the cuff comment. (Doesn't make it a right one).

If we spend £100m in the January transfer window I will personally offer my body to Levy for an emergency weekend of pleasure...

But yeah, can't see it myself. If we did manage to sign Dybala I'd be thrilled. But if Aurier is never going to play then we are in desperate need of a RB.

If we spend £100m in the January transfer window I will personally offer my body to Levy for an emergency weekend of pleasure...

But yeah, can't see it myself. If we did manage to sign Dybala I'd be thrilled. But if Aurier is never going to play then we are in desperate need of a RB.

January is the wrong time of the season to be spending that kind of money. Top clubs should perhaps be looking to bring in one or at the most two players in order to cover unforeseen injuries. Most major business should have been conducted during the summer to allow for pre-season and squad integration. Transfers at that time of year are usually panic buys from lower table clubs attempting to get themselves out of potential relegation battles. At least that's how I always look at the two windows. Entirely different scenarios.

January is the wrong time of the season to be spending that kind of money. Top clubs should perhaps be looking to bring in one or at the most two players in order to cover unforeseen injuries. Most major business should have been conducted during the summer to allow for pre-season and squad integration. Transfers at that time of year are usually panic buys from lower table clubs attempting to get themselves out of potential relegation battles. At least that's how I always look at the two windows. Entirely different scenarios.
Rarely happens. It’s predominantly a bottle neck of business a day or 2 before the end and the player never seems settled

Looking at it, if you can get a player in, in January then chances are they’re football ready and the only integration necessary is with the new environment and if that does take some bedding in then worst case you have a player to fully ready after the summer

The only thing historically wrong with January purchases are the prices required to prize the player away. But it looks like there might be bit of summer hangover and surplus in his instance

Dyabala being one example

Rarely happens. It’s predominantly a bottle neck of business a day or 2 before the end and the player never seems settled

Looking at it, if you can get a player in, in January then chances are they’re football ready and the only integration necessary is with the new environment and if that does take some bedding in then worst case you have a player to fully ready after the summer

The only thing historically wrong with January purchases are the prices required to prize the player away. But it looks like there might be bit of summer hangover and surplus in his instance

Dyabala being one example

Fair point, I must admit I'm quietly hoping that Dybala is simmering on the back burner :thumbup:

Fair point, I must admit I'm quietly hoping that Dybala is simmering on the back burner :thumbup:

Me too, I still have a secret hope that after running out of time in the summer we are still carrying on behind the scenes to get it done for January instead. Although he might see the way we're playing lately and have second thoughts...!

Me too, I still have a secret hope that after running out of time in the summer we are still carrying on behind the scenes to get it done for January instead. Although he might see the way we're playing lately and have second thoughts...!

Far better he feels needed and thinks he can come and help us out rather than be surplus to requirements. Not that I am in any way advocating we deliberately adopt such a tactic....God forbid !!!
:pochserious2:

Agreed January is not the best of transfer windows usually.

But summer 2020 is the Euros with the tournament scheduled to start early June and end a month later in early July. Add on 3 weeks compulsory break afterwards takes us to end July, and maybe 2 weeks pre-tournament for national training and the tournament runs from late May to end July.

Assuming this season end mid May, there's maybe 2 weeks to do transfers before players are in the national camps and then either during the players 3 week break post tournament or a week or two before the season begins.

So for European/British players next summers going to be more difficult than usual to do transfers in - prepare for more Argentinians next summer ?

So January suddenly looks more attractive to get one or two players in......

We really should be buying a CB in January. Sanchez is not fulfilling his promise, Foyth looks like he will be used as RB and Jan and Toby are ageing and out of contract. Really think we need a new no 1 CB and play the others around him.

One new right back, one new attacking player, and we're fine. Maybe taking a long look at young goal keepers out there as insurance for when Hugo begins to lose a step, but that's not seemingly an imminent need.

2 starting CBs that have yet to renew their contracts in their last year. Went about the summer window without replacing the starting RB. Currently starting a shit RB and resorted to playing a CB this weekend. A starting LB that has clearly regressed. The bloke literally drove over to Watford on deadline day because even he knows hes shit. So that's our entire defensive line. Also could use a defensive midfielder. An Eriksen replacement. A backup striker to challenge Kane.

Back
Top Bottom