Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hard to think of another youth player who was so hyped yet was such a total disappointment.

Glad we're rid of him to be honest

Think the publicity given to Poch calling him "mini Messi' was the beginning of the end, next day or so made his only appearance for Spurs, a 15 minute appearance in s League cup game maybe v Gillingham.

Problem is the player or his entourage get false expectations of his importance.

In the real world of men's football he'll either thrive or maybe reappear like John Bostock ( said by Rio Ferdinand to be a future England captain) or just sink.

Hyping up kids rarely works.

So we've still got Eriksen, Wanyama, Rose and Aurier?
And Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Despite everyone being told we might lose them all.
Not really sure what the angle is here.

It is true that there was a possibility of losing any/all of them, and now we find ourselves in a situation where by the next transfer window the market value of Wanyama and Rose will be even lower and unless something progresses with new contracts then Jan, Eriksen, and Alderweireld can all sign pre-contract agreements to leave for free.

1bG3Tem.jpg

It is true that there was a possibility of losing any/all of them, and now we find ourselves in a situation where by the next transfer window the market value of Wanyama and Rose will be even lower and unless something progresses with new contracts then Jan, Eriksen, and Alderweireld can all sign pre-contract agreements to leave for free.

1bG3Tem.jpg

Wanyama will have 2.5 years left on his contract and Rose 18 months so not sure their length of contracts will have a huge difference on market values.

Nobody knows if there have already been any deals done with Eriksen. Alderweireld or Vertonghen to sign new contracts at Spurs.

Wanyama will have 2.5 years left on his contract and Rose 18 months so not sure their length of contracts will have a huge difference on market values.

Nobody knows if there have already been any deals done with Eriksen. Alderweireld or Vertonghen to sign new contracts at Spurs.
To be honest, it wasn't really their contract length that makes me think their value will decline: but more having this season to demonstrate their quality/lack thereof before the next opportunity to sell.

Sadly, I think Danny in particular will end up going for a pittance compared to what he used to be worth. God knows what's going to happen with Wanyama as I can't see him making the teamsheet unless it's the FA Cup 3rd round or we have a horrific injury crisis.

Re: the former Ajax trio, I'd be thrilled if they all put pen to paper, but I'd wager it'll only be Vertonghen who extends his deal.

So the window shuts with us keeping perhaps five players we all thought might leave - Eriksen - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Wanyama - Rose .... our squad depth is now massive, you can argue that a couple of positions lack quality but we have cover everywhere ...

What does that mean in the long term? Well Poch now has another year to phase in all the replacements for these five players .... how will that work"

Ndombele >>> Wanyama
Sessegnon >>> Rose
Foyth >>> Toby
Sanchez >>> Vert
LoCelso >>> Eriksen

No all like for like and some obvious step down in quality but all plausible ...

Dier at CB is clearly an option as is Skipp in midfield and of course out of the five Eriksen is still at an age where a new five year contract will always be an option ....

Add to that development players and this transition season could go OK .... but it will be transition .... there is a clear changing of the guard coming and that won't happen without some pain.

For me in January / Summer sign a new striker Dybala, and if available a ready made CB .... we will see

1bG3Tem.jpg

Sure that latter part re the ex-Ajax crew sucks, but suffice to say we have and will continue to try to salvage the situation as per the best interests of the club.

Irony here is we spent most of their tenure quietly fearing some rich cunt would #swoop in and buy them... Now it seems there's little interest in them short of bagging a bargain.

Sure that latter part re the ex-Ajax crew sucks, but suffice to say we have and will continue to try to salvage the situation as per the best interests of the club.

Irony here is we spent most of their tenure quietly fearing some rich cunt would #swoop in and buy them... Now it seems there's little interest in them short of bagging a bargain.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I'm very much optimistic for the rest of the season, especially now that the uncertainty before the European deadline day is over.

An awful lot of egg on Toby and Eriksen's faces now though. In a just world they would sign some new contracts, but instead will (I'm sure) be happy to wait until free agent status makes them attractive enough to those 'elite' clubs they've been hankering after.

A positive is that Alderweireld hasn't let his performances suffer and, going by Eriksen's performance in the NLD, we'll hopefully see him get his shit together on the field at least until January.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I'm very much optimistic for the rest of the season, especially now that the uncertainty before the European deadline day is over.

An awful lot of egg on Toby and Eriksen's faces now though. In a just world they would sign some new contracts, but instead will (I'm sure) be happy to wait until free agent status makes them attractive enough to those 'elite' clubs they've been hankering after.

A positive is that Alderweireld hasn't let his performances suffer and, going by Eriksen's performance in the NLD, we'll hopefully see him get his shit together on the field at least until January.

I suspect similar.... If they have anything about themselves; all 3 will be wanting to impress (Though due to his age, I see Jan as a different proposition; it's more about if he stays for an extra year rather than any new deal or potential trf fee at 33/34 y/o).

Given how things played out this summer, I honestly don't see how staying for a couple of years more isn't Toby's best option unless he simply fancies a change of scenery.

To be honest, it wasn't really their contract length that makes me think their value will decline: but more having this season to demonstrate their quality/lack thereof before the next opportunity to sell.

Sadly, I think Danny in particular will end up going for a pittance compared to what he used to be worth. God knows what's going to happen with Wanyama as I can't see him making the teamsheet unless it's the FA Cup 3rd round or we have a horrific injury crisis.

Re: the former Ajax trio, I'd be thrilled if they all put pen to paper, but I'd wager it'll only be Vertonghen who extends his deal.

Probably best part of 3 years since Rose was at his best with Mouhrinio rumoured to be bidding £50m. Think it's now more like ,£5m+ But that was true this TW and probably last year too, so a delay doesn't make much difference.

We'll be lucky to find another Bruges to offer £12m. Fortunately I think Skipp will take his place.

The former Ajax trio, I am hoping ,2 if not ,3 sign some form of contract extensions, if just stabilising their transfer values, but Alderweireld seems to have found his value to be more like half the £25m release value whilst the older Vertonghen will be less than that, so it's only Eriksen who if he has/will sign another contract might preserve a transfer fee of say £50m.......just a question of what the club says about these players, as otherwise we might not know until next summer.

But Spurs will need to spend big sums to replace these players - unless we get one of two coming through the youth system like Skipp.........Tanganga maybe ? Or Parrott coming through ?

So the window shuts with us keeping perhaps five players we all thought might leave - Eriksen - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Wanyama - Rose .... our squad depth is now massive, you can argue that a couple of positions lack quality but we have cover everywhere ...

What does that mean in the long term? Well Poch now has another year to phase in all the replacements for these five players .... how will that work"

Ndombele >>> Wanyama
Sessegnon >>> Rose
Foyth >>> Toby
Sanchez >>> Vert
LoCelso >>> Eriksen

No all like for like and some obvious step down in quality but all plausible ...

Dier at CB is clearly an option as is Skipp in midfield and of course out of the five Eriksen is still at an age where a new five year contract will always be an option ....

Add to that development players and this transition season could go OK .... but it will be transition .... there is a clear changing of the guard coming and that won't happen without some pain.

For me in January / Summer sign a new striker Dybala, and if available a ready made CB .... we will see

Dybala, Aouar, Atal and Upemacano currently top my list. The depth that kind of business would offer over the next 12 months would be fantastic.

I'm surprised not more has been made of Aouar, he looks a cracking little player. All in all definitely think it's been as solid a window as most of us would have hoped for, especially after our no go window last summer. Grealish will be closely monitored this year again should Villa get relegated as will a fair few others stepping up into the Prem.

All our signings 23 and under. That's a whole new nucleus added to the future of the club to integrate. A similar kind of window next year with a cheeky Dybala swoop in January should the stars align and we'll continue to grow good and proper. The CB areas and RB position are intriguing ones to watch as the season goes on. Dier could well become useful yet at CB should he get his fitness issues sorted and his head right.

Dybala, Aouar, Atal and Upemacano currently top my list. The depth that kind of business would offer over the next 12 months would be fantastic.

I'm surprised not more has been made of Aouar, he looks a cracking little player. All in all definitely think it's been as solid a window as most of us would have hoped for, especially after our no go window last summer. Grealish will be closely monitored this year again should Villa get relegated as will a fair few others stepping up into the Prem.

All our signings 23 and under. That's a whole new nucleus added to the future of the club to integrate. A similar kind of window next year with a cheeky Dybala swoop in January should the stars align and we'll continue to grow good and proper. The CB areas and RB position are intriguing ones to watch as the season goes on. Dier could well become useful yet at CB should he get his fitness issues sorted and his head right.

This guy is a must... Imagine the headfuck of coming up with a song!

Back
Top Bottom