Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Much better attacking intent, played forwards much quicker, runners off the ball. Goal on halftime changed the momentum otherwise that was 3 or 4 for us. We need to defend properly in moments, by this stick our foot through the ball. It's the biggest contributor of goals conceded, either a poor clearance to non clearance resulting in goals

No, sure. Exaggeration to make a point.

He's in and out of the side and playing left and right of the CB pairing. We shuffle our defence all the fucking time and it grinds my gears.

My worry with Poch is that he's so set in his ways, he now always sets the team up as if we are battling insurmountable odds.

Sanchez should categorically not be playing RB when we have Aurier available.
I’m finding myself consistently being critical of Dav.

In and out the side sure there’s an argument for that but there’s also an argument for him not being in the side

Jan is far better and what game time Dav does get he hardly uses to argue his case .

He just doesn’t seem like he’s going to be good enough

My takeaways:
Poch was more unsettled than the squad these past 3 weeks.
We drew away to City and Woolwich, with Ndombele unavailable for the latter and Lo Celso being a sub in both.
With a fully fit and available team we are top 3 and it’s not that close.

Doesn’t excuse Newcastle, how we setup against City, or the 2nd half of today. But all in all it’s not awful.
I largely agree.

This'll be a teething first third or so of the season. I think we'll actually be flying by the time Christmas rolls around.

The Newcastle game, in addition to being generally awful, was also a nasty wake up call to those of us wanting that ambition to win the league that we're nowhere close right now until the squad overhaul has time to gel.

I largely agree.

This'll be a teething first third or so of the season. I think we'll actually be flying by the time Christmas rolls around.

The Newcastle game, in addition to being generally awful, was also a nasty wake up call to those of us wanting that ambition to win the league that we're nowhere close right now until the squad overhaul has time to gel.
I think we are a low 80s team, Liverpool mid 80s, and City 90+.

Woolwich are likely low 70s with United, Chelsea, Leicester, Wolves and Everton all fighting to get to 65.

West Ham are just absolutely bang on for 10th, and after that who cares weeeeeeeeee.

I always find Poch really hard to understand when he is interviewed. He seems to talk a lot without saying very much. I listen to him talk for ages and still don't know what he is trying to say. Is it the language that he doesn't know how to say what he is trying to say. I think he is under a lot of pressure and we need to be more supportive. Having us all criticising his decisions. won't help or change anything. This is the same man who we all idolized a few weeks ago and was reduced to tears with what (he) we had achieved. He's a good man We don't know what is really going on there. Just remember, we have beer glasses that fill up from the bottom, Gooners don't
I don't think he reads this forum.

I think we are a low 80s team, Liverpool mid 80s, and City 90+.

Woolwich are likely low 70s with United, Chelsea, Leicester, Wolves and Everton all fighting to get to 65.

West Ham are just absolutely bang on for 10th, and after that who cares weeeeeeeeee.

A bit deluded. There is little, if anything, between us, Arse, Chelsea, and United at the moment. We certainly are not finishing 17 points ahead of United and Chelsea.

I don't get why anyone is surprised VAR is so shit. I called it in the World Cup, either you use it to officiate every decision from the 1st minute to the last or don't bother with it at all. Making selective decisions about what gets looked at and what doesn't is a subjective shit shower that's open to criticism and abuse.

Poor Lucas. That game was crying out for his pace, he would have terrified them: and yet the manager continues without him.

Sanchez obviously having a torrid time at rb and yet the manager continues .

Oh, and for those wanting more Jan and Lucas, all the players are going to be getting some minutes with the following fixture list after the international break...

- 14/09 - Crystal Palace (H)
- 18/09 - Olympiakos (A)
- 21/09 - Leicester City (A)
- 24/09 - Colchester (A)
- 28/09 - Southampton (H)
- 01/10 - Bayern (H)
- 05/10 - Brighton (A)

That's a heck of a lot of football in a three week period. Fortunately, the fixtures themselves are quite fair. No Liverpool away just yet.

International break now, the team can take stock, fingers crossed we can really put a marker down once they get back.

We had no Ndombele and Sanchez not playing in position. Lo Celso isn't yet match fit. KWP and Foyth injured and bugger knows what's gone wrong with Aurier. And yet despite those things and all this transfer crap rattling Poch and the team, we just got a draw on their turf. We could have been a couple more goals up in the first half.

It was tough and entertaining and their smiles at the end suggested mutual respect for what just took place; a ropey thriller. I can't lay into the lads too hard because I think they showed more guts and creative spurts than the previous games.

We stopped them from doing what they've been aching to do which is proclaim that North London is there's again and that it's red blah blah blah. All in all I am happy with 2 points away at the Etihad and the Emirates, we can't ignore that it isn't a great return under all of the circumstances.

4 games in, only one genuinely bad result face value which can't be said for most teams apart from Liverpool. All is good and it's got under gooner skins. We let them back in but all of us would have taken a draw 4 hours ago so let's not lose sight of how it's more one point gained for us and two points lost for them. The international break has come at a decent time for us to refresh and get focused on the drive before Christmas.

A bit deluded. There is little, if anything, between us, Arse, Chelsea, and United at the moment. We certainly are not finishing 17 points ahead of United and Chelsea.
United and Chelsea have rolled out their best 11 and if you can tell the difference between them and 9th then congrats.

We had no Ndombele, Lo Celso as a sub, Dele as a sub, Eriksen situation up in the air, no Verts until today, both first choice RBs out. Sorry but if you don’t see a clear difference I’m not sure what to say.

Back
Top Bottom