Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
To some degree although I think the likes of Pep and Klopp believe in their methods so much that rather than change for the other team they try to impose their own game on the opposition.

It’s ok to have no plan B if plan A always works

I think City have enough variation to their game to make it harder for the opposition to set up and resist them.

The way they move the ball about and the speed they can do it at has teams looking perplexed most of the time.
Newcastle, and for large periods Villa, looked completely unflustered by us. We played exactly how they expected and they didn't have to improvise or change their game.

I think City have enough variation to their game to make it harder for the opposition to set up and resist them.

The way they move the ball about and the speed they can do it at has teams looking perplexed most of the time.
Newcastle, and for large periods Villa, looked completely unflustered by us. We played exactly how they expected and they didn't have to improvise or change their game.

I do find it odd how uninventive we are particularly without Eriksen on the pitch and on form.

Something we will need to fix, although early days and we have new players to integrate so fingers crossed.

City and Liverpool tend to start games with a high intensity and find a way to get a goal.
As soon as that first goal goes in any team that have planned to sit back and soak up pressure have to change their game plan which opens them up to further goals.

We've scored three league goals in the first 20 minutes of a match (2 x Cardiff and 1 x Everton, last game of the season when they had nothing to play for).

That's the biggest worry for me, especially with the defence shipping goals relatively easily.

We have too many players who only play risk free football most of the time. I don't know if that's in their DNA, or if they're being coached to play that way.

780 passes vs 195 sunday, but nearly all of ours were to whoever was stood in the middle then 10 feet either side of him.
I'd like to see how many times Winks passed to Alderweireld instead of trying to break Newcastles lines.
Its very hard to tell at times what is down to the players and what is down to the coach.

We have too many players who only play risk free football most of the time. I don't know if that's in their DNA, or if they're being coached to play that way.

780 passes vs 195 sunday, but nearly all of ours were to whoever was stood in the middle then 10 feet either side of him.
I'd like to see how many times Winks passed to Alderweireld instead of trying to break Newcastles lines.
Its very hard to tell at times what is down to the players and what is down to the coach.
Surely after 5 years we should have a definitive style of play, and identity regardless of who is on the pitch

Heres whats wrong. Fucking soap opera

Last edited:
City and Liverpool tend to start games with a high intensity and find a way to get a goal.
As soon as that first goal goes in any team that have planned to sit back and soak up pressure have to change their game plan which opens them up to further goals.

We've scored three league goals in the first 20 minutes of a match (2 x Cardiff and 1 x Everton, last game of the season when they had nothing to play for).

That's the biggest worry for me, especially with the defence shipping goals relatively easily.

Liverpool press for a bout 15 minutes. If they don't get a goal within that time, they calm down considerably and aim to control the game until half time and then burst out in the second half for about 10 or 15 minutes again.

It's the same everytime they play us - they blitz us for 10 or 15 minutes and if we get through that, it's usually us that ends up controlling the game. Sadly, in recent times they always tend to get that goal against us.

We did this exact thing against Newcastle (only in the first half) - we pressed better than I've seen us press in months, couldn't get the goal and unfortunately conceded which then saw us go into a bit of panic mode and just aim to control the game - and for some reason we never once picked up the intensity, though we did speed up our play a bit once Lo Celso and Eriksen came on.

What works for Liverpool is the fact that they don't usually concede first (or based on last season, concede at all) - we've conceded 1st in all of our games - will be interesting to see what happens when we actually score 1st in a game for once.

I wouldn't even bother comparing us to City - they've got the best overall squad in the league and probably Europe that they can afford to press for 90 minutes and control a game that simply no other team in the league can do.

What frustrates me the most about this thread is that a week ago I was arguing on here with some dumb dumb who was saying how great we are and we are title contenders and could easily be up with City and should be better than Liverpool.

Then one result later I’m arguing with people who say the sky is falling and we need a managerial change.

I wish more supporters would embrace a middle path.

What frustrates me the most about this thread is that a week ago I was arguing on here with some dumb dumb who was saying how great we are and we are title contenders and could easily be up with City and should be better than Liverpool.

Then one result later I’m arguing with people who say the sky is falling and we need a managerial change.

I wish more supporters would embrace a middle path.

I see part of your point, but I don't see it FULLY mutually exclusive (though partly it is).

I find it very-very hard to argue against fact that with players like Kane, Son, Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Alli are much-much more talented than to play on relegation level football in Premier League. But for last half a year this is our exact form - we have gathered 15 points from 15 games over.

If you agree with me that our side has more quality, then there has to be something else. I believe significant part of this "something else" is down to our manager.

I see part of your point, but I don't see it FULLY mutually exclusive (though partly it is).

I find it very-very hard to argue against fact that with players like Kane, Son, Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Alli are much-much more talented than to play on relegation level football in Premier League. But for last half a year this is our exact form - we have gathered 15 points from 15 games over.

If you agree with me that our side has more quality, then there has to be something else. I believe significant part of this "something else" is down to our manager.
I do financial planning for a living and one thing I see all the time is people cherry picking time frames for the stock market to try and make a point. The cherry picked time frame of February to now doesn’t hold much weight with me. Are we saying something suddenly happened in February that tore the team apart and has carried through the summer? While at the same time we made a run to the CL final? Consider me highly skeptical.

They have been coached that way, you can not have 10 players on the pitch doing the same thing every single match week in week out. Safety first.

Don't run, it's too hot is another in the coaching manual.

I do financial planning for a living and one thing I see all the time is people cherry picking time frames for the stock market to try and make a point. The cherry picked time frame of February to now doesn’t hold much weight with me. Are we saying something suddenly happened in February that tore the team apart and has carried through the summer? While at the same time we made a run to the CL final? Consider me highly skeptical.

Ah, kudos, I happen to work in field of finance as well.
And I understand your point of cherry-picking here.

It might not be fully cause-effect link, but it is hard to argue that we played very-very bad football in EPL during the period (not only having bad results) and continue to play up to now.

If I had to guess I would say that there were deeper problems from earlier point in time, but just since that time they were exposed. I remember xG based analysis pointing out significant drop in our performances published somewhere around Xmas - I'll look deeper into it in the evening.

I think our problems are emotional rather than technical.

Poch is all about the team ethic, building an emotionally driven group who give total commitment to the cause

Since we left the lane we have lost players , have the core of the team refusing to sign new deals and a coach who is clearly unhappy .

The moment he had to integrate Toby last year I think sent the total wrong signals throughout the squad, it's given eriksen and Jan the go ahead to run down their deals and showed the squad that levy calls the shots rather than Poch.

We have looked shit for ages but I can't blame Poch because his done so so much for us. I read people saying the champions League final papered over the cracks , well that's a big fuck off bit of paper isn't it.

We need to hope that levy and Poch are having proper discussions around all the stuff going on. Levy needs to get Poch in the right frame of mind and Poch needs to either accept Levy's parramaters or take the Madrid or man utd job because he seems miserable right now.

With N'dombele , Alli and lo celso to come into the team we should be fine creatively so as I say the issue is very much the emotional side of things not whether Poch is right to pick lamela or not.

I getcha. Now, if I'm reading you right, you're saying we should diversify. Like have a balanced portfolio of football options... So, I already like watching Swedish Women's team, US are pretty watchable, too. I still wish well on Bourners when not playing Spurs (having lived there). I starting to enjoy supporting England again, too. I can't get into European teams, though, the odd game, but no emotional/groin connection. Any hot tips?

:pochrolleyes:

Sorry. I actually agree with your comments above, I just can't help being a dick.

JT the class dunce in tatters again

:levylol:
I see you finally found your way back to the forum, Mr Clash

LeadingRapidAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Welcome home, my friend

:dierpochhug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom