Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll stick a camera on my helmet the next time I go in. Make a nice video for your 80th birthday party next year.
actually - you are
It's like you didn't watch the game, but just read a pile of stats

Sissoko was consistently an aggresive player running at their defence and helping KWP from getting overloaded
The sad thing being is that he turns from superman to superman running in kryptonite whenever he gets near goal.

No it's like those stats back up the game I watched, not the one you did.

A lot of negativity throughout the game, and even now after the match. Was it the best performance in the world? No, but in another day Moura puts us 1-0 up early, and we win 5-0. The diamond is not a formation that suits us and I hope to not see it again, I was glad to see the tactical change later in the game. Some players were not at their best, but I don’t think anyone had a bad game. Sissoko (who I am a big fan of) was wasteful in the attacking third, but we have come to expect that, he worked hard, was full of running and pushed forward. When he was finally put central he showed what an asset he is to the club, I don’t expect him to play every game, but in certain matches he will be excellent. KWP had a very good game, I am not yet a big fan of his but I can not fault his performance at all. Kane I thought was excellent when it mattered, he looks like he will have a great season. It was great to see Ndombele score, that will do wonders for his confidence and I think we are know what a talent he is.
First game of the season is usually a close win, or a draw so getting 3 goals is good for us, I expect us to improve as the season goes on (especially when Lo Celso, Sessognon, Son and Alli are available). My only worry today was Vertoghen not being on the bench, I have no issues with him being rotated (especially after running our players into the ground last year) but I don’t want there to be any issues with a club legend. If Vertonghen starts against City then I will relax again. Eriksen helped a lot when he came on, we won’t get big money for him now so I personally am desperate for him to stay after previously looking to cash in for around £70m.

It’s clear Eriksen has to start against City. Based on this match who do we sacrifice for that? Winks, Sissoko, or Lamela?

The fact you have to even ask the question is quite sad.

Sissoko shouldn't be in anyone's starting eleven for any serious games this season now we've strengthened areas.

I can imagine most players running into open ground and passing to a free man when the other team is desperately pushing forward.
But are most players even capable of getting away from 2 players. They dont have the acceleration required that Sissoko showed there. Put Dier or Winks in that same situation that Sissoko was in, they would have turned and made a sideways pass, kept it safe.

Even for the first goal when their defender cleared from the corner, Sissoko started that attack with the quick ball to Eriksen. The guy had a hand in the first and last goal, cant expect much more than that when played in the correct position for only half hour.

Lloris - A passenger really, don't recall him having a shot to deal with other than the goal
KWP - Very good on the ball, these are the kinds of games he excels in (when we have 70% possesion). I worry about him against better attackers so maybe Serge comes in for the City game
Toby - A classic 7/10 performance from Toby, kept it simple and no silly errors
Sanchez - I don't think he was as bad as some people have made out. He wasn't at fault for the goal but he does have this habit of getting into wrestling matches with strikers who are stronger than him. Needs to learn to back off a little and use his pace to his advantage
Rose - At fault for the goal. It was a simple task to go across and cover McGinn but he was too slow to react and then didn't shut the angle down. I still like his energy going forward but it feels like his end product has worsened
Winks - MOTM for me. Love how he keeps things ticking over. I think he took a knock on that dodgy ankle and that's why he came off second half
Sissoko - No surprises here. Play to his strengths and you get an effective player (see 3rd goal), play him out of position you get shots that go for throw ins.
Ndombele - Not the best first half but he was still trying to make things happen. Very good at quick passes around the corner and I think once he settles he will be a monster. Confidence grew after his goal and im excited to see more
Lamela - Hard working as usual but nothing too inspired
Lucas - Largely anonymous, I think we're still to work out how best to utilise him
Kane - Two great finishes from the big man. Pure class

Subs:
Eriksen: Really got us purring. I don't think he goes this window and I'm desperate to see him linking up with Lo Celso and Ndombele together - will be a completely different midfield to the turgid shite we have had to watch for a couple years.

Overall delighted for the win but it was painful at times. We really need to learn how to start games quicker, we essentially create holes to dig ourselves out of and over a season there will be occasions where 45 minutes is not enough time and we'll drop points.

I hate how there's so many question marks hanging over the squad before the City game (mainly Eriksen and now Vertonghen) because we need our best players playing. We have been close to City in recent games and with the right setup we can definitely get something from this

Just finished watching the match as I was stuck at work all day with no internet.

Thought overall we looked good. Great to see Tanguy get the opening goal, and of course Harry adding a couple of his own was nice. We still struggled to find the back of the goal for a long time, we had plenty of opportunities though.

Glad we dodged that Grealish bullet last season though, I swear he had on makeup and that terrible cuntish haircut... :avbnaa:

The fact you have to even ask the question is quite sad.

Sissoko shouldn't be in anyone's starting eleven for any serious games this season now we've strengthened areas.

City is exactly the game Sissoko SHOULD be playing in. I know it is counter-intuitive when you see him put in a poor performance against a newly promoted side, but Sissoko's weaknesses are all exposed and his strengths unused when we have all the possession and the opponent is parking the bus. It's the opposite when we play a top team where we will have to defend heavily and carry the ball in transition.

I'm not saying he's the ideal player EVER and I do hope we get to the point where he is just a squad player, but for where we are right now, I think he's very much in the discussion to start vs City.

Neil Johnsons article on the game (BBC website) did not mention Eriksens contribution once. Why bother to give the so called football writers a free pass to attend in the best stadium in the world and no doubt get some freebies as well when they write bullshit!

City is exactly the game Sissoko SHOULD be playing in. I know it is counter-intuitive when you see him put in a poor performance against a newly promoted side, but Sissoko's weaknesses are all exposed and his strengths unused when we have all the possession and the opponent is parking the bus. It's the opposite when we play a top team where we will have to defend heavily and carry the ball in transition.

I was going to say something very similar to this. When we are going forward against a team just looking to play on the counter, Sissoko’s total inability to do anything offensively is just glaringly obvious. But against a team that moves well, puts us on our back foot, and especially exploits us wide, Sissoko’s huge motor and his ability to get back and provide extra cover becomes valuable.

Enjoyed the day in the end.
The comments on here, especially from the first half, are pathetic. Makes you realise how much you miss on the telly (at least I hope thats the reason).

Agree with your summary here Chubbs except Sissoko - he was pretty shite today, and Winks - who was pretty good.

I was on my way to the Dispensary (again) when they stopped the trains from Theobold's Grove, had to walk to Cheshunt and it cost me 30 mins, no time in the end - see you all next time!
TRAVEL
Bad luck on the travel mate. When I got to Cheshunt ticket office I discovered that WHL station was closed & tried to get onto the forum to warn people, but I couldn't make my phone work, so my attempt failed.
Used Northumberland Park station instead and got drenched, on the way to the ground, in the one & only major rain shower of the day lol. Luckily it was warm and we dried off in the cafe.
See you at the Dispensary next time!

SISSOKO & WINKS
From my position, behind the goal in the North (Park Lane) stand, we saw a great deal of close-up Sissoko throughout the first half. He was constantly linking up with the amazing KWP, working hard for the team and attempting to put ball after ball into the box. I rated his performance highly. He was clearly being asked to do something different and he was working his bollocks off to do it. Can't understand the nobs on here who seem to be unaware of this fact. Then, when his role changed in the 2nd half, back to a more central position, he was good too.
I could also see Winks from my position, who remained pretty central, had loads of opportunities to break through the middle (I could see them with my own eyes), but he chose to dither on the ball and then pass across the pitch. Statistically, these passes may have gone forwards, but none of them were penetrating passes and there were no forward runs from him to split the defence. We had to wait for Eriksen's arrival for either of these things to happen.
People who saw the game on TV may have been less aware of these facts (they're facts, not just my opinions for once). I can take the criticisms with a pinch of salt, because I was there and I know what happened. Sissoko was an asset to the team yesterday - Winks less so.

Always nice to put a face to a username :adethumbup:

Just got home, nothing much more to say than what’s already been said, game completely changed once Eriksen came on.

I did think the couple of VAR decisions were resolved pretty swiftly (May have been because they were obvious), a lot quicker than they seemed to be in European games.
Nice to meet you too mate. One thing I noticed was that the PA before the game, both in the bar areas and in the ground itself seemed to have been turned down a notch or two since the Inter game - thank goodness. It was possible to hold a conversation.
VAR? Really? I didn't even notice it! Must have been efficient.

Winks has become a safe passer (same as dier & trippler was) when Winks first broke into the team he did move the ball forward, It must be what Poch wants in that position safety first,

Back
Top Bottom