Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got out of jail this evening, thanks to:

Erikssen coming on and changing that game. Kane playing where he is supposed to and Villa trying to hang on to their advantage.

Fair play to Poch for changing it. Although I have to question the starting formation.

Despite Winks making way for the change which ignited us, he was by far and away our best player in the first half. The future lays with him as our ‘pivot’/Xabi/call it what you will position.

Sanchez was poor and so was Sissoko for large parts - although the latter kept battering away and did in the end make a difference.

Poch and the coaches have a lot of work to do trying to find an identity and a style of play which incorporates our best footballers: Winks, NDombele, Son, Dele, Kane, Moura, Erikssen (?), GLC (in time).

Woeful for the first half especially, got better as we went through the gears in the second and there seemed to be some formation changes, but then it never looked especially well formulated to begin with !

Villa fans do not seem to travel well, lots of little spats between their salty fans and ours post game. I’ve never liked Villa. Nothings changed with them from today.

The amount of times I head “Champions of Europe, you’ll never sing that” was as mystifying as it was irritating. Still they did win it once, apparently and that makes them bomb proof for all the relegations, shit seasons and laughable antics of the past 37 seasons. Big club that. They said so. Wankers.

We will be there or there about a again this season. Don’t drop Super Jan again Poch !

Life without Eriksen looking pretty bleak based on that 60min performance I have got to say. We need to find a solution to our playstyle when we don't have a natural playmaker in midfield because that is where we are headed.

Very frustrating to see the amount of standing still we had in that period as well; literally no runs being made off the ball.

Good comeback and typical performance from us in the last year - but it takes the glimmer off the game when we don't look very convincing. Hope we can put in a good performance against City or they will blow us away.
Celso is a shoe-in for that position.

We will look like a completely different team with Son preferably coming from the left and Lo Celso in midfield (instead of Sissoko). Probably for the first time v Newcastle.
Should do, but who ever plays that one guy must get right to where Kane was standing before Kane moved as quick as possible (Alli used to be great at it) that keeps the Centre half busy while Kane causes havoc.....

To be fair TT, it's hard to drive past players when the game is backed into the final third, Walker never did it either, few FB's do, especially in those circumstances, but I trust KWP to try (as we saw in the game against Inter and many times for the development teams) once the opportunities are there and he's got his feet under the table a little and his confidence levels up.

Lets give the kid more than a one game run for the first time in his senior career and see what happens ?
There were several situations where there was space in behind, BC.

I know he's ya boy - and I'm right behind him as well - but I'm not going to let it slide.

Just like I haven't with Tripps and Aurier and won't with my boy Foyth when he plays there.

In my experience observing him, it's consistent.

I accept it's lack of confidence, but we haven't got all season for him to grab his nuts. We really don't.

It's imperative he rapidly mentally matures.

The first half was like pulling teeth - but I disagree with the MOTD team saying that Villa were good in the first half. They weren't particularly good, because they didn't have to play all that well, as we spent the half trying to work out if we were fish or fowl. The only player who looked good and composed was Harry Winks.
How Moura didn't bury his header on about 4-5 minutes still eludes me.
lamela had a busy game but looks like he has lead legs, but the way he dispossessed Grealish was a pivotal movement.

Had to laugh when Eriksen came on and took his first corner - and to no surprise couldn't clear the no 3 on the edge of the six yard box. However, he was a catalyst to the urgency we lacked in the first half and was at the middle of everything offensive, because of his speed of thought and control at getting the ball moving through to mobile forwards running at panicking, retreating defenders. His passing was quick and accurate and drove the team on. Much more so than I remember from last season............shop window play, or a commitment to stay and play? Good free kick and did actually play a corner beyond the first defender, but nobody expected it and it was trapped on the sideline by KWP.

WTF was KWP doing playing in red boots? Naughty, bad full back. Had a good offensive game though. Despite his boots.

As Harry put his second in, all I could think of was sammy self combusting.............

My second season in a row inspiring spurs to win their first home game 3-1

Last edited:
KWP - outstanding game - amazing skills
NDombele - the goal was his saving grace - did not impress until then.
Sissoko - very good all round performance
Lamela - nothing like as influential as in pre-season games
Davinson Sanchez - excellent interceptions when needed
Toby - solid
Danny Rose - good performance
Winks - ineffective, poor game
Kane - was just Harry!
Lloris - didn't have much to do
Lucas - one of his more anonymous games

Enjoyed the day in the end.
The comments on here, especially from the first half, are pathetic. Makes you realise how much you miss on the telly (at least I hope thats the reason).

Agree with your summary here Chubbs except Sissoko - he was pretty shite today, and Winks - who was pretty good.

I was on my way to the Dispensary (again) when they stopped the trains from Theobold's Grove, had to walk to Cheshunt and it cost me 30 mins, no time in the end - see you all next time!

I thoroughly enjoyed the second half today, thought our class and their lack of Premier League experience told in the end.
I wasn't in my normal seat today, we were sitting 12 rows from the front, right behind Poch's technical area. Would love to be there permanently. Had a great view of Ryan and Gio when they were on the pitch at the start, even got a wave from Gio :)
I thought KWP was great today, don't think he put a foot wrong, IMO. Tanguy did well for his debut, and a great goal, but a couple of times, thought he tried fancy flicks when something simple would have been more effective.
I don't know why there was a VAR red card check, as they didn't show it on MOTD, was it for one of ours or one of theirs? Not that it matters, I suppose.
Grealish looked good for them, great energy but ran out of steam towards the end. But that haircut!
:pochfacepalm:

I thoroughly enjoyed the second half today, thought our class and their lack of Premier League experience told in the end.
I wasn't in my normal seat today, we were sitting 12 rows from the front, right behind Poch's technical area. Would love to be there permanently. Had a great view of Ryan and Gio when they were on the pitch at the start, even got a wave from Gio :)
I thought KWP was great today, don't think he put a foot wrong, IMO. Tanguy did well for his debut, and a great goal, but a couple of times, thought he tried fancy flicks when something simple would have been more effective.
I don't know why there was a VAR red card check, as they didn't show it on MOTD, was it for one of ours or one of theirs? Not that it matters, I suppose.
Grealish looked good for them, great energy but ran out of steam towards the end. But that haircut!
:pochfacepalm:

It was KWPs infight with McGinn. They where looking at McGinn but there was nothing to it.

The first half was like pulling teeth - but I disagree with the MOTD team saying that Villa were good in the first half. They weren't particularly good, because they didn't have to play all that well, as we spent the half trying to work out if we were fish or fowl. The only player who looked good and composed was Harry Winks.
How Moura didn't bury his header on about 4-5 minutes still eludes me.
lamela had a busy game but looks like he has lead legs, but the way he dispossessed Grealish was a pivotal movement.

Had to laugh when Eriksen came on and took his first corner - and to no surprise couldn't clear the no 3 on the edge of the six yard box. However, he was a catalyst to the urgency we lacked in the first half and was at the middle of everything offensive, because of his speed of thought and control at getting the ball moving through to mobile forwards running at panicking, retreating defenders. His passing was quick and accurate and drove the team on. Much more so than I remember from last season............shop window play, or a commitment to stay and play? Good free kick and did actually play a corner beyond the first defender, but nobody expected it and it was trapped on the sideline by KWP.

WTF was KWP doing playing in red boots? Naughty, bad full back. Had a good offensive game though. Despite his boots.

As Harry put his second in, all I could think of was sammy self combusting.............

My second season in a row inspiring spurs to win their first home game 3-1
Actually, I think they are pink :)

One player won't make a lot of difference. I'm just beginning to wonder whether or not Poch has taken us as far as he can.
a fucking hour into the season and this shite-get a grip ffs
Some of you cunts need to stop typing for 90 mins on the weekend watch the game and get some perspective.
melt

Back
Top Bottom