Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably our strongest four-at-the-back line-up.

If you look at the subs (and assuming Eriksen stays)

Eriksen, Sissoko, Lamela, Lucas, Sessegnon, Skipp, Dier, Davies

A bit different from the dark days last winter when our impact sub was Davies and we had Rose wandering around in midfield.

We need to hang onto Eriksen! If we do, it's as good a TW as 2018 was awful/non existent/missed opportunity and a good time to support our club.

We can look forward with great hope/expectation, avoid injuries and challenge Emirate/Scousers.

Where is Davinson?

I understand why it's being said that he will walk away on a free if he doesn't go this window, but why will he? If he signs a new contract now he could immediately start earning an extra, say, £60,000 per week? Plus bonuses? Could be worth up to £4m in the next year. He can have clauses in his contract to release him to Real or Barca if that's what he wants, at a minimum price and with a nice sign on fee for himself. He gets to play regularly (hopefully back to his old, relaxed, self) improves his value, pleases Spurs fans and plays in a Premier League and Champions League winning team before moving.
Whats wrong with all that?

(in all honesty I made up the bit about the league and Champions League but the rest stands up on its own).

Ericksen will get a big payday if he transfers for free. Lewandowsky got over 30 mio when he transfered to Bayern for free if I remember correctly. Ericksen has been earning half or less of what a player of his quality should be getting and is taking the risk of getting injured atm. I don t think he will sign a new contract, why should he settle for 4 mio more when he can easely get 5 to 10 times that ammount by not signing a new contract? He will get the difference of what he should have been earning here from his next club. Levy has safed on his wages for years but we are gona miss out on a big transfer fee. Sometimes things like this bite you in the back

Ericksen will get a big payday if he transfers for free. Lewandowsky got over 30 mio when he transfered to Bayern for free if I remember correctly. Ericksen has been earning half or less of what a player of his quality should be getting and is taking the risk of getting injured atm. I don t think he will sign a new contract, why should he settle for 4 mio more when he can easely get 5 to 10 times that ammount by not signing a new contract? He will get the difference of what he should have been earning here from his next club. Levy has safed on his wages for years but we are gona miss out on a big transfer fee. Sometimes things like this bite you in the back
Lewondoski got just over £9m signing on fee, but no matter how much we may love Christian, he's no Lewondoski. He might get £5m - maybe more who knows. But all I'm saying is he can guarantee himself an extra few million just for playing for Spurs for another year (which I hope he will do anyway whether he signs or not) and still earn a decent signing on fee and another increase in wages if he has a good year and goes for a relatively low transfer fee. I have no idea which way he would choose - I just know what I would do!

Aaron Ramsey (spits quietly onto the floor) got £8m signing on fee this Summer. Eriksen might get similar. Might not.

Could be worse, imagine being Zaha and still at Palace....must be about as popular as a fart in a space suit at the moment.
Oi!! I used that gag on this forum 3 or 4 months ago Borodin!! Plagiarism i tells ya! But seriously, very happy with the transfer window tbh. Watching our lads, hopefully some of the new lads, out here in Minorca 2m. COYS.

Lewondoski got just over £9m signing on fee, but no matter how much we may love Christian, he's no Lewondoski. He might get £5m - maybe more who knows. But all I'm saying is he can guarantee himself an extra few million just for playing for Spurs for another year (which I hope he will do anyway whether he signs or not) and still earn a decent signing on fee and another increase in wages if he has a good year and goes for a relatively low transfer fee. I have no idea which way he would choose - I just know what I would do!

When you think of club finances the way the clubs themselves do - in terms of wages + amortization of transfer fees - this all makes perfectly clear sense.

A potential acquisition as a certain value to the club, X. In a transfer, some of that value goes back to the selling club as a transfer fee Y, and the remainder gets paid to the player in wages Z. X minus Y = Z.

But where Y is zero, the player collects the full value of what he's worth to the buying club. That's not a little bit more, it's a LOT more.

Aaron Ramsey has woken up the football business to this. A player of Ramsey's quality signing a four-year deal worth 200k a week with his club getting a 45M transfer fee is run of the mill business, but Ramsey getting 400k per week on a free and becoming one of the highest paid players in the world seems extraordinary, even though from Juventus' perspective it's the same deal.

(Not *exactly* the same of course, because wages like that for a player like Ramsey are un-transferrable. You obviously want these deals to be a shorter term for a player who's proven and who you know you want. One imagines Juve has figured out a sensible way to insure the contract based on Ramsey's fitness history too.)

To be frank, this threatens to blow up the entire system. Players are heavily incentivized to refuse any moves and to complete their contracts and become free agents, and that's not the way any of this has operated previously. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. Don't be surprised to see Eriksen sign for wages that seem insane in light of the transfer disinterest he's inspired.

I expect Swansea were still paying them?
After the season finishes? I doubt it. We would have been paying him wages. It was just a joke anyway. We have sold plenty of players late in the window which meant we paid them wages all summer. & we have a few players running down the contract at the moment. I just think levy is being over rated for signing players at the end of the window to save wages. If that's the case all the players we sold or loaned out late means we lost money on wages & the other teams chairman is suddenly a genius & levy got levy'd. It don't matter anyway. Was a tongue in cheek post.

Oi!! I used that gag on this forum 3 or 4 months ago Borodin!! Plagiarism i tells ya! But seriously, very happy with the transfer window tbh. Watching our lads, hopefully some of the new lads, out here in Minorca 2m. COYS.
Used to go there every summer. The village I stayed in was called San Cristobal then. It's since reverted to its Basque name which I can't spell. Remember scuba diving at Fornelles.

Used to go there every summer. The village I stayed in was called San Cristobal then. It's since reverted to its Basque name which I can't spell. Remember scuba diving at Fornelles.
San Cristobal -Got their own brand of booze havent they?

Back
Top Bottom