Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For those worried about our squad, thought a reminder of our team for s preseason game 15 years ago might be helpful. A combination of first team and reserves as was common then.

Who remembers the first team players, other than Defoe and Keane, ?
Dunno: Doherty, O Hara, Mendes (fine head of hair and - if I remember rightly, that non-goal) - but, yeh, team was rough

From Prem league to Mexican league.

Kudos to him for biting the bullet and going somewhere he’ll play.

Hopefully he can get his career back on track
Agree with this. Seems to have grown up a bit since he refused to go out on loan to Brighton(?)
Could have all been very different for him had he just done as he was “advised” rather than being sniffy about it.

By talking of banality, aren't you rather proving my point?

Noted, but a valid part of my 'case' though much the same... You exhibited the trait in question the way you reacted to the mention of Dier with out of context rhetoric.

Nothing hypocritical about it at all. A) you proved straight away you had no grasp of the context in which my original (nor follow up) post(s) were made by comparing Rose to Davies, quoting minutes played and misquoting me as saying Ben was a "#1 selection" into the bargain (injury to Rose obviously gave him his 'break' as a 1st teamer for 18months - A fact I've not hidden from)... The former insertions were simply not relevant, the latter simply false. B) You know as well as I do, I don't fancifully band stats about on a regular basis, but in this case I was simply quantifying how many games each player I mentioned had started in the time period discussed. It was hardly an essay of the proportions or nature of that which I made light...

Touche, but take our manager's history for perfect instance, most players that looked good under him, when sold, haven't pulled up trees afterwards... (Lovren, Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin... We all know the list); that doesn't mean they weren't worthy contributors within that system or can reasonably be expected to be 'swapped out' for high spec individuals across the board (unless you are Man City and a blessed few other teams in the world). I'm glad you mentioned Greece (and Leicester again... Let's throw Denmark in their too)... Isn't the pursuit here - however unlikely in a lot of teams cases - to WIN trophies? Let's not confuse the notion of 'entertaining football' or the fabled 'Tottenham Way' with a requisite that each and every player must be entertainers themselves.

On the flip-side, do you not think there is a tipping point where a system is only as good as the players attempting to execute it? We racked up our best ever defensive numbers with Dier & Ben as regular starters.... How many "relatively shitty" players can a team afford to have as regular starters before it becomes dysfunctional... 2, 3, 4....?

Ben was 23/24 when Poch dropped him again for a player you don't particularly rate in Rose.... Why is it not fair to assume he'd have improved further if his run of starts had continued? Same way that Dier may have developed further/better if he'd not been shunted around from season to season?

Finally, a closing point on Davies: If he was as bad as is made out by his detractors, then how comes we rarely leak goals down his side? ...Yet by contrast, teams would actively target Trippier for HIS weaknesses (a player you at length defended over and over again and has now been sold)?
Why are you debating the nuances of a sport with someone with no grasp of the game?
He can regurgitate facts like a sewer, he just doesn't know what hes looking at when people run around a pitch playing it.

Eriksen seems to have a permanent smile these days, can't remember him ever smiling that much, never been a demonstrative man before.

Best part
roV3Ztk.png

Spanish press reporting Fekir is close to being done, so Lo Celso will need to be sold to fund? The Fekir transfer ( and a couple of others that Betis have bought this TW).

Lo Celso is now on his third week of obligatory break after Copa America which ends at end of this week.

Obligatory break after the Copa? I'm sure Foyth is already back with the squad and is in Singapore

For those worried about our squad, thought a reminder of our team for s preseason game 15 years ago might be helpful. A combination of first team and reserves as was common then.

Who remembers the first team players, other than Defoe and Keane, ?
I remember most of them, but then a again I'm an old cunt.

Someone who’s brutally honest.

There's no way there isn't any club in Europe interested. Their window doesn't end until the start of September so there is plenty of time left for Janssen to find a good, competitive place to play. Nothing against the Mexican league but you don't go from leading the line for the Dutch national team to Mexico in just two years.

Back
Top Bottom