Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

An entire season vs 4 games in Europe where we collectively choked as we settled into Wembley?

Cake? You're dining on crumbs here mate.
But if we were selling Davies and keeping Rose, you'd be bigging up the merits of Danny Rose over Ben Davies.

And please don't waste everyone's time on here denying it.

If the we are signing a player to play ARM/AM I’d take 20m Fekir over 60m Lo Celso.

Hopefully we are signing LoCelso to play as an 8 though, in which case I’ll take him.

Poch likes players who can play in several positions.

That's one of the reasons why Lo Celso is coming - he can play in any of the 3 AM positions plus as CM........and doesn't have the dodgy knee which had caused Fekir to have few top club suitors this time round. Shame as a Fekir with 2 sound knees would be a decent player

Report: Tottenham reject chance to sign top midfield target – but why?
Spurs Web – Tottenham Hotspur Football News / Seb Jenkins / moments ago

Tottenham Hotspur have reportedly rejected the chance to sign one of their top midfield targets this summer, Dani Ceballos.
The central attacking midfielder starred for Spain at the U21 European Championships, with his team eventually lifting the trophy itself.
Sky Sports reported earlier this month that Spurs were in talks with Real Madrid over a possible signing of the 22-year-old playmaker.
In fact, at one stage, Estadio Deportivo reported that Spurs were in advanced negotiations and were close to signing the player.
However, Le Confidencial now claim that the player is close to a move to Woolwich instead after Tottenham rejected the chance to land him.
The report cites the reasons behind this decision as Real Madrid’s refusal to let Ceballos leave on a permanent deal or include an option to buy in the loan contract.
As a result, a one-year loan deal to Woolwich before returning to Madrid seems like the most likely option at this stage, with Spurs having to look elsewhere.
The post Report: Tottenham reject chance to sign top midfield target – but why? appeared first on Spurs Web - Tottenham Hotspur Football News.

Visit website
This surely b.s.

Spurs want a loan with sn option to buy - otherwise we are just training up a big clubs players for free.

The effect is like Lo Celso loaned from PSG with an optiion to buy which was exercised by Real Betis as regular playing by the Betis coaches had increased his value.

Real Madrid do not want to give Spurs the option ,to buy so Spurs not interested in just loaning Ceballos.

Ceballos deal is tied up with the sale of Eriksen to Madrid, if Eriksen stays we do not need Ceballos anyway.

Atm Madrid are not interested in signing Eriksen ( or Pogba) so we will see if they come back, or whether Eriksen stays and signs a new contrsct

Though Dier played much more as a CB that season than as a CM.

I realise that, but the guy I responded to didn't specify; just said these guys weren't good enough to be regular starters in a top team.

Dier:

15/16 = 37 league starts (+ 13 cups) > 3rd place
16/17 = 34 league starts (+ 12 cups) > 2nd place
17/18 = 31 league starts (+ 12 cups) > 3rd place

And Davies only played 200 minutes more that Rose in 16/17. It was the next season 17/18 when Davies played most of the season, started really well, then faded a bit.

Hmmmm... Minutes is NOT the argument at hand.

Davies:

16/17 = 23 league starts (+ 11 cup) > 2nd place
17/18 = 29 league starts (+ 9 cup) > 3rd place

Somewhat mistaken on my part in terms of what year was what, but more than I thought overall.... Majority of league games for TWO seasons in fact.

I'll take your word for it that he faded a little towards the end of 17/18... Players often do towards the end of a season... (The more athletic Walker was getting rested every other game by comparison!)

Over-arching point: How the fuck do we get those finishes with 2 out of 11 regular starters (allegedly) nowhere near good enough?

When Saliba eventually plays at the modern day library and compares the cold eerie silence of the Woolwich gathering to the stentorian roar of the Tottenham faithful

There will be no doubt left

We will all witness the face that will say it all

I fucked up

Poch likes players who can play in several positions.

That's one of the reasons why Lo Celso is coming - he can play in any of the 3 AM positions plus as CM........and doesn't have the dodgy knee which had caused Fekir to have few top club suitors this time round. Shame as a Fekir with 2 sound knees would be a decent player

I'd swap Fekir with one knee for a couple of our AM's.

But if we were selling Davies and keeping Rose, you'd be bigging up the merits of Danny Rose over Ben Davies.

Not at all...

I actually think Danny is marginally better (when we're a full on pressing monster), much like I thought KW was more effective than KT...

AWKWARD!!!

My stance on Ben (that he's "GOOD ENOUGH") pre-dates any rumours of Rose being sold... I've been a big fan for years. MY posting history will back this up.

And please don't waste everyone's time on here denying it.

...How about you just don't waste my time, PERIOD.:dembelefingers:

Last edited:
This happened once.

Davies has adapted his game and has not struggled much against the dreaded pacey winger since.

Majority of the goals we have conceded this previous season came from our right flank or centrally. Davies, Rose or Jan, it didn't matter. Our left flank was locked down tight.

Yes agree with most of that
Tripps had a mare of a season but good luck to the lad although I don’t think Simeone will be as forgiving as Poch

Let's be honest. Rose was always - CLEARLY - the superior player of the two. That however, does not mean he was the best fit for us. He is a whiny person and always complaining, crying to the press, making demands and sulking about.

It's better if he leaves since he obviously wants to fuck off, but we should aim to IMPROVE when players move on, not at best remain constant or at worst - regress.

Mason and Caroll were also given new contracts and 1 year later both were in the championship, their true level

Davies will be a Brighton player in 2020. He has no business being at a CL level club.

Mason was way better than a Championship player. Your attitude towards a player who gave his best for us stinks.

Hmmmm... Minutes is NOT the argument at hand.
Over-arching point: How the fuck do we get those finishes with 2 out of 11 regular starters (allegedly) nowhere near good enough?
[/QUOTE]

One of footballs omnipresent questions.

How did Leicester win the league with Simpson and Fuchs as FB's? Chelsea with Moses as a RWB?

Davies is certainly no less viable than Rose, but that says as much about the vastly overrated Rose as it does Davies who is a solid but pretty ordinary LB. We were helped in 16/17 by having less Dier plodding about midfield and playing where he is better as a CB, with better players in midfield.

Good coaching, good tactical application, some talented team mates, all of the above.....

Mason was way better than a Championship player. Your attitude towards a player who gave his best for us stinks.

Penis envy of financially doped clubs and bragging rights at school on a Monday morning is all that computes with some fuckers, mate.

Back
Top Bottom